Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

deedot

Feb 19, 2009, 6:47 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4208 views)

Shortcut

Flying into Merida

Can't Post | Private Reply
We made our first trip to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) 2 years ago. We loved it so much that we returned last year. We decided to look for a different destination. Merida looks great, however, there don't seem to be great connections to the airport. Flying from Lexington, KY to PVR we boarded the plane @6:00 am and were on the beach by 3:00pm. Seems the best option is Continental, with an early departure from Lex. but a late @8:00 arival in Meridia. Return flight is no better. You have to spend the whole day in the Houston airport. Going thru Cancun is no better. Hate to be picky but with limited time to spend would rather not have to spend so much time in Hou. airport. Its so easy to fly American Airlines to any pacific coast destination in Mexico. We're very flexible with our dates. Just want @10 days in late Jan/early Feb. Are there no earlier flights into Merida? Any suggestions?

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Feb 21, 2009, 5:09 AM

Post #2 of 9 (4178 views)

Shortcut

Re: [deedot] Flying into Merida

I don't really have any resources available to me other than the same travel agents and websites that you might have to check flights. You might also try going through Mexico City though since a lot of international flights go through there too.

Merida is not a tourist destination as such. I am not sure what you are planning on doing or what your interests are. It is an old colonial city with a lot of history in itself. It is a good base for visiting ruins like the Puuc Route, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Palenque, etc. There are others here who are more familiar with Merida than I so I hope they join in also.

yucatandreamer

Feb 21, 2009, 8:22 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4169 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] Flying into Merida

I live in Merida and aside from the advice that Jim has given you about checking for routes through Mexico City, Continental is the only game in town. The only reason any of us busses to and from Cancun is to save money and that needs to be weighed pretty carefully to see if it is worth all that time. Merida is not at all like Puerto Vallarta. In order to enjoy it, you need to enjoy a big city, archaeological ruins, museums and excursions from the city. If you are interested in escaping winter and going to the beach there are much better places, back to Jim in Cancun for that.

deedot

Feb 21, 2009, 1:28 PM

Post #4 of 9 (4155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Flying into Merida

Thanks for the help. Your right, Merida is not the "tourist" destination that other cities are, that is part of the appeal to us. I found an earlier arrival through Delta but it would cost $400 more to arrive at 6:00 instead of 8:00. I guess its Houston...10 hours to kill in Bush Intl. From what I've seen It'll be worth it. We are excited to spend time in Merida and some time in Progreso. There are lots of accomodations to choose from in Merida. Any suggestions for Progreso? Moderate price with a balcony on or near the beach? We hope to get away for 10 days.

yucatandreamer

Feb 21, 2009, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 9 (4150 views)

Shortcut

I am sorry, I can't think of any hotels on the beach in Progreso, certainly nothing tall enough to need a balcony. Try the web forum "Yo Listo". It has a lot of members who are snowbirds at the beach and can recommend something. The folowing is a link to hotels in Progreso. http://www.allmexicohotels.com/yucatan/progreso/

Carol_Wheeler

Feb 21, 2009, 5:48 PM

Post #6 of 9 (4136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Flying into Merida

I don't know how well you can connect with Atlanta from Lexington, but this is a new headline on the Mexconnect home page news feed:
"Aeromexico to launch Atlanta flights to Cancun"
http://news.cheapflights.com/...-to-cancun.html#more

If you can fly nonstop from Atlanta, taking the bus from Cancun to Merida might be preferable to 10 hours in the Texas airport?

Good luck! I love Merida, Progreso and all those delightful small towns in the peninsula.

deedot

Feb 21, 2009, 7:18 PM

Post #7 of 9 (4131 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol_Wheeler] Flying into Merida

You're right. Flights are especially cheap to Cancun. Ever hear of the Hotel Mexilio, can't tell if its expensive or not. It sure looks nice on the web site.

yucatandreamer

Feb 21, 2009, 9:47 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4119 views)

Shortcut

CMMendez 60.00 60.00 n/a (1 dbl bed - A/C - ground floor) CMterrbalc 75.00 75.00 n/a (2nd or 3rd floors - A/C) CMLrgmstr 85.00 85.00 95.00 (1 queen & 1 twin w/ac, bi-level) CMMirador 90.00 120.00 n/aThose prices are off a web site-I am sure it is a nice place. People who stay there seem to like it. It is in my neighborhood so I am pretty sure it is foreigners(like us) who own it, so call them and ask your questions.

roni_smith

Feb 25, 2009, 7:18 PM

Post #9 of 9 (4063 views)

Shortcut

We generally fly into Cancun when we go to Merida, which has, by the way, many tourists from all over the world.

We have flown Continental's red-eye into Houston and been in Cancun in the morning.

Typically, though, we'll start a trip with a few days on Isla de Mujeres and then take a ferry over to Puerto Juarez in the morning from where we catch a cab to the Cancun centro bus station and a Lujo bus to Merida, arriving in Merida mid afternoon.

While we like vacationing on the beach, we really love our city time in Merida, and are considering moving there in two years.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4