Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

sioux4noff

Feb 12, 2009, 11:18 PM

Post #1 of 24 (17344 views)

Shortcut

Guanajuato restaurants

Can't Post | Private Reply
We'll be in guajuato for a couple days next week, stayng at the Hotel Mansión del Cantador. Any recommendations of interesting restaurnts nearby (or not nearby)?
We plan on doing a city tour, hanging around centro and who kows what else. Any suggestions?
Also, we will have 1 day in Dolores Hidalgo. Any shopping, eating or sight-seeing suggestions there?

(This post was edited by tonyburton on May 13, 2009, 3:04 PM)

Anonimo

Feb 13, 2009, 5:03 AM

Post #2 of 24 (17329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Guanajuata restaurants

There's supposed to be a very good restaurant at Santa Rosa, on the road to Dolores Hidalgo. I don't recall the name, but I think I read about it on Chowhound.com

Could be this one http://www.travelbymexico.com/...elasierra/index2.php
Here's are a few other suggestions form Chowhounds.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/581176

Now I think it's this one, Ik-Etznab: http://www.guanajuatocapital.com/ingles/Rik-etz.htm
The restaurant's own website is here: http://www.ik-etznab.com.mx/

This sort of place may or may not be what you're looking for. It appears way too studied and precious to my eye.

Saludos,
Anonimo

sioux4noff

Feb 13, 2009, 5:56 AM

Post #3 of 24 (17328 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Guanajuata restaurants

Ik-Etznab sounds way too hoity-toity for me! But thanks for the Chowhound link.

bournemouth

Feb 13, 2009, 6:27 AM

Post #4 of 24 (17325 views)

Shortcut

If you go up to La Valenciana to see the church and mine, there is a lovely restaurant right over the road from the church, called, I seem to remember, Mansion del Conde - beautiful place, pleasant food, wonderful and expensive copper lamps etc. which are made there. Great lunch spot.

ken_in_dfw

Feb 13, 2009, 1:23 PM

Post #5 of 24 (17296 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
A couple of more budget-conscious, yet delicious, choices for you:

El Midi in La Plazuela San Fernando (it's tucked into the far northeast corner of the plazuela) - lots of great vegetarian and Mediterranean choices. You load up your plate and pay by the kilo. My partner and I are hearty eaters and we paid less than 200 pesos for our lunch.

La Carreta on Avenida Juarez (main drag running east-west through el centro) - very humble, authentic streetfront cafe with huge wood-fired ovens where large skewers of chickens roast. Absolutely delicious. Our dinner, including two beers, was 120 pesos!

I'd also like to second the recommendation on Casa del Conde up on Valenciana hill. Gorgeous place, stellar service, excellent food. It is a little pricier, but well worth the splurge.

tashby

Feb 13, 2009, 2:39 PM

Post #6 of 24 (17289 views)

Shortcut

If you find gardens interesting, and even if you don't, there's an absolutely outstanding spot outside the center of Guanajuato. It's an ex-Hacienda with something like 15 different gardens. (Tuscan, French, and even Japanese which blew my mind at the time.) I can't remember for sure, but I think it's called Ex-Hacienda Gabriel Barrera (or something similar). It's an amazingly beautiful place. The building/house is also restored and beautiful with period furniture. It would be a great place to bring a picnic. The concession there may or may not be open, so at the very least bring some bottled water if it's hot.

In Dolores, you'll see TONS of Talavera. But there's one ceramic artist there who does amazingly intricate work. His last name is Avalos, I think. Several years ago some of his peices were on display in the lobby of the pink hotel on the Plaza, Hotel Cocomacan (or something like that). I bet they still show it there. If interested, ask where his studio is (a short walk from the hotel) and you can watch he and his sons work. His work is nothing like the Talavera you see everywhere. I bought a couple small pieces on a trip several years ago. Then, a couple months ago, I was in the Ceramics Museo in Tlaquepaque and saw some of his stuff there. Small country.

Also, of course, on the Plaza in Dolores there are all the competing ice cream carts with the crazy flavors.

Have fun.

sioux4noff

Feb 13, 2009, 4:49 PM

Post #7 of 24 (17276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Guanajuata restaurants

We do hope to buy some Talavera pots for out by our pool. Theice cream sounds interesting, too.
Thanks for the suggestions.

wendy devlin

Feb 14, 2009, 10:30 AM

Post #8 of 24 (17247 views)

Shortcut

Music students, in costumes, and playing music instruments, lead, anyone who wishes to join the 'callejoneadas'.
(singing tours, through the twisted streets and staircases, of the city)

The musicians start with a performance at 8p.m. at the San Diego Church in the Jardin de la Union.

Across the narrow road on the same side of the street as this church, climb the stairs to an restaurant, specializing in Italian food.

I have eaten at a lot of restaurants all over Mexico, and the food last year at this restaurant, numbers among my most delicious experiences. Also, if you sit near the windows, you can look out and see the performance below or listen to the music while you dine.

sioux4noff

Feb 14, 2009, 11:05 AM

Post #9 of 24 (17239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Guanajuata restaurants

Thanks for the information. Coincidently, the Italian restaurant, Frascati, has another location in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, about 5 miles from our house.
It doesn't have that same great view, though.

Oscar2

Feb 14, 2009, 11:05 AM

Post #10 of 24 (17239 views)

Shortcut

Ah, Guanajuato, I’ve told this story before and enjoy telling it again. One of a number of things I haven’t forgotten about Mexico, is the nature of some locals met in GTO. One night when hanging loose and browsing around El Centro and the main street where most all commiserate, we got an appetite for something different, so just about where the main Mercado is, across the street was like an outside, large food court. The various outside sort of euro restaurants had menus on pedestals, hanging on walls and iron structures inviting you to partake in their offerings.

Aside from some of the eateries providing entertainment, our eyes caught a menu, which brought smiles to our faces when it displayed a very large variety of crepes. We love good crepes, so we hung there for quite sometime, listening to entertainment and sipping. Upon leaving, on the way out toward the main street, something unusual happened of which I will always remember.

As we approached the main street from this large food court, ahead to my left, in the shadows under the ornate lampposts (even though it was at night) a very small silhouette of a sort of hunched over person with extended arm holding out a flyer stood there, even though no one was there to collect one. As we got closer, a face so old and cragged with such deep wrinkles they looked like sun-baked crevasses formed by thousand of years of standing in the wind and rain. The shadows of the night made it a bit startling in a haunting sort of way…..

I was awe struck. I don’t know if it was the dark, the shadows or what but I had to stop and talk to this very, very old man. I kind of presupposed this ancient, this relic would have a hard time talking to me, but was I totally surprised. When he opened his mouth, the voice I heard was not only soft, and distinct, but very balanced, as well. His voice was saying much more then words, they spoke of this old man’s life’s determination to stand out on the street close to midnight doing what he had to do, as he’d probably done most of his life, and during his time, the years were probably not in the best of conditions. Although his voice revealed he was a native of GTO, his stories of before vehicles and more were very interesting but what spoke the loudest, was this human beings will to survive….

To make a long story shorter, this ol’mans fierce, determined but yet gentle eyes looked to us to sell a tourist package of the city, with pictures and all the trappings a good presenter would have to close a deal. I took on a liking to this well spoken billboard. He had allot of guts and fortitude and maybe a bit hungry to be standing out there close to midnight, clinging for that last sale….

He mentioned that if I bought the tour of the city, he’d personally meet me bright and early in the morning at the ticket office, which just happened to be about fifty feet from the front door of my hotel El Insurgentes. I gave him a fifty-peso deposit, he nodded, and we bid adieu, hasta mańana….

As promised, bright and early in the morning, this diminutive little old man with caverns for a face was there waiting for us. He lit up with smiles you just had to return. I asked him if he was hungry and his smile said yes, so we got a couple of those delicious tamales the guy with the red holla sells and boy, were they delicious.

When paying the man at the ticket booth, the old man (Pablo) stood besides me and I knew why. So, I mentioned to the ticket office guy, that the little ol’gentleman at my side was an excellent salesman and that he/they should not only give him his commission but an excellent propina for his efforts. The ticket guys eyes looked up at me as he said, yes, Pablo his been with us for many years, as if he knew exactly what to do with Pablo….. who knows, maybe one day, you too will have the pleasure of running into one of Guanajuato's favorite son's called Pablo, when you least expect it....

The Guanajuato tour was not only great but also informative. We’ll talk about the notorious tunnels and other key tourist sights we enjoyed in “our” Guanajuato pleasure trip.

Attached is a photo of the El Insurgentes Hotel and from where the picture was taken stands the tour ticket office. The hotel is right in the heart of town, within in close walking distance anywhere in El Centro and came highly recommended as a locals and tourist favorite. It has 24/7 secured parking, elevators and dining. We paid $45 a night and it worked well for us.
Attachments: GTO Hotel 2-1.jpg (57.5 KB)

smokesilver

Feb 14, 2009, 8:42 PM

Post #11 of 24 (17200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Guanajuata restaurants

Oscar I liked that story. Thanks.

Ivester

Feb 16, 2009, 8:54 AM

Post #12 of 24 (17163 views)

Shortcut

I don't know if it's still there or not, but in one of the plazas near the centro in Guanajuato is a lovely little lunch place called Cafe Bossanova, with delicious crepes and a very peaceful setting, great for people watching. My wife and I loved the place so much when we visited a couple of years ago that she did a painting of a little girl--probably the manager's daughter--doing her homework in the shade. It can be seen here: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/3886121

Oscar2

Feb 16, 2009, 12:20 PM

Post #13 of 24 (17141 views)

Shortcut

At the very top of the city, perched like an eagles nest, is this glass incased vista point which is part of this well appointed hotel/restaurant (name escapes me) overlooking the whole city. If you look up, just about anywhere in the city, you will see the huge statue of Pipila (as shown in Ivesters post) and just a bit higher, above Pipila, is this very nice hotel/bar/restaurant. Aside from just visiting (which many people just do) this very popular hotel, lunch, dinner and/or good cocktails, inside or at their outdoor patio with lounge chairs and seating overlooking the whole city, lends for relaxing ambiance while sipping on something cool and letting the eyes take-in the panorama not soon forgotten.

Getting up there is easy. There is an uphill Red Tram, which gets you very close to the top, where the very popular statue of Pipila is located. Just above Pipila is this attractive hotel/restaurant. The tram price is very inexpensive and/or you can take a cab for about 3 bucks. Just ask the cabby to take you to the nicest restaurant/hotel with glass all around overlooking GTO and they’ll get you there in short order. After your visit, you can walk just a short distance (down hill) and take the Red Tram back down the hill to the heart of El Centro.

We stayed at El Insurgentes Hotel. As previously mentioned, we found it by chance when I asked a local about parking, (difficult to find right in the heart of El Centro) as part of a hotel’s accommodations, and he said, for the buck, it was the best bet. He said this was widely known that El Insurgentes Hotel was not only centralized but very popular amongst the locals and tourists. From $35 to $45 US per night, including covered security parking.

We looked at other hotels, but its central location made our visit even more special. What we enjoyed the most was the elevator took us up and away enough to mute the drone and city noise to a comfortable level but yet; we were dead in the middle of it all.

This was very convenient since, as mentioned, GTO is hilly but from our vantage point most everything needed was in front of us and within a few easy blocks. Directly across the street un senior vende tamales out of a large red olla, steaming hot, large and absolutely “delicious,” a buck apiece. We would buy a few, go into an adjacent restaurant and ask if it would be okay to eat them at their table with an order of eggs, frijoles, arroz y café. They were very gracious and a nice propina was appreciated.

GTO is a gem. The city bristles with youth emerging from doorways, walking the streets and haunting every sidewalk café imaginable. Due in part to the University, the youthful aura of the city is special, very Mexican and appealing. The sidewalk café’s, Euro in nature were a strong-hold for just sitting, sipping, eating and just people watching while leisurely relaxing. GTO is an all-time favorite! We had a wonderful time, hope you do the same.

http://www.hotelinsurgente.com/index.html

jennifer rose

Feb 20, 2009, 4:46 PM

Post #14 of 24 (17085 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
My all-time favorite is the Casa del Conde de la Valenciana.

http://www.condevalenciana.com

sioux4noff

Feb 25, 2009, 9:57 PM

Post #15 of 24 (17018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ivester] Guanajuata restaurants

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. We enjoyed our trip to Guanajuato. We did eat at the Cafe Bossanova for crepes and coffee. It was good.
I can't remeber the names of the other places we ate. food and prices were OK, service at one was not nearly as friendly as we are accustomed to (maybe called Van Gogh Restaurant)

roni_smith

Apr 18, 2009, 2:19 PM

Post #16 of 24 (16557 views)

Shortcut

We enjoyed an afternoon in April of 2006 spent outdoors at the Van Gogh restaurant at the Jardin de la Union, people watching and listening to a municipal brass band. Such a lovely afternoon it was. There was also a small musical group playing at the restaurant next door. The drummer let his son play for a bit. I'll post some photos.

It was a wonderful trip.

------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

sioux4noff

Apr 18, 2009, 2:28 PM

Post #17 of 24 (16555 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Guanajuata restaurants

Thanks for the photos, they are great. Van Gogh was indeed a good people watching spot. We both enjoyed Guanajuato a lot and I'm sure we'll be back.

hunteradvisor

May 12, 2009, 1:36 PM

Post #18 of 24 (16401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Guanajuato restaurants

You may have come and gone to GTO, but if not I would be happy to give you a list of half a dozen restaurants that we love?
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

tashby

May 12, 2009, 10:28 PM

Post #19 of 24 (16373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Guanajuato restaurants

Well....I'd love to hear about them. We're in Guanajuato right now!

Have already eaten at Frascati, and Truco 7, and the lovely Casa Abue (I think that's the name....thanks Betsy!) just off Plaza Baratillo.

Spill!

And thanks!

TigerTonio

May 13, 2009, 4:46 AM

Post #20 of 24 (16366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Guanajuato restaurants

Chilaquiles or other type of breakfast at La Pirinola located on San Fernando Plaza!

hunteradvisor

May 13, 2009, 1:48 PM

Post #21 of 24 (16333 views)

Shortcut

Santo Cafe on the bridge near Plaza Ropero has awesome baguette sandwiches and smoothies.
Abue for the salads and fish tacos. Cafe Bossanova for crepes, quetlacoche (sp?) and the choclate are awesome. Next door the veggie buffet is super and I like the internet place right there. Cappilini for homemade pasta and great pizza, Truco 7. There is an outside cafe across from the Cathedral just before the plaza Los Angeles that will make a great caesar salad at the table if asked. Best Cappucino on the planet and best cold coffee/choclate frappe for the afternoon lag, great fresh fruit for breakfast......CAFE TAL!
Meantime check out the photography exhibit at Escuela Mexican on Portrero.
Wish I was there!
Enjoy!
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

tashby

May 19, 2009, 9:22 AM

Post #22 of 24 (16243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Guanajuato restaurants

I definitely also recommend Cafe Abue, near Plaza Baratillo. Nice bistro atmosphere and good food.

Decent comida corrida at the one place on Jardin Union, furthest corner away from Templo San Diego. (Decent, not raves.) If you get a hamburger jones, Las Esquinas on Plaza San Fernando does the trick.

Above Van Gogh on Jardin Union is a bar called "Zilch". Go into Van Gogh and then upstairs to the third floor. View overlooking the Jardin and your above the treeline.

Frascati. It is impossible not to want to sit there in the window, above Hotel San Diego. The pizza margarhita and frito mixto (calimari and shrimp) worked.

Anonimo

Jul 7, 2009, 4:05 AM

Post #23 of 24 (15840 views)

Shortcut

We were in Guanajuato for a long weekend at the end of June.
We liked Restaurant Casa Valadez pretty well, across from the Teatro Júarez. For a splurge dinner, we booked at Las Mercedes, Calle Arriba # 6, Colonia San Javier. It was a wonderful meal.
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/gua.html

Other restaurants: http://picasaweb.google.com/...23PM?feat=directlink

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

PS: Not all of my reply shows up in the preview.

Anonimo

Jul 7, 2009, 4:09 AM

Post #24 of 24 (15837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Guanajuato restaurants

I'll try to post the rest here.

Other restaurants reviewed:
http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/...to-eating-mummy.html

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4