Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

nancyinpdx

Feb 8, 2009, 12:49 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3602 views)

Shortcut

traspasa casa

Can't Post | Private Reply
hi. i look at Mexican real estate on the web nearly every day and do not understand something. I think it said something like casa traspaso or traspasa. Also, how do you say duplex, triplex, or quadplex? Thank you so much.

nancy

sergiogomez / Moderator

Feb 8, 2009, 1:36 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyinpdx] traspasa casa

Vendo o traspaso casa--the term in English isn't coming to mind, but the seller is willing to either sell the property outright or let the buyer assume the mortgage (traspaso de casa).

Duplex is properly casa de dos viviendas, but no one says that, at least in Mexico. It's always dúplex, tríplex, and cuadruplex.

Carron

Feb 8, 2009, 11:09 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] traspasa casa

I would be very, very leery about going into a deal "traspaso" in Mexico. Real estate conveyance in tricky enough here without any additional complications.

I think in the US we would describe this as a "wrap-around" mortgage. You pay the seller a monthly mortgage payment, presumably more than he is paying on his own mortgage, and it then becomes his responsibility to forward his portion of the payment to the original mortgage holder. When he has paid off the mortgage, the property becomes his without liens and he then transfers the property over into your name and you continue to make the same payments you have been until it is paid off and you then own it free and clear.

Adds a whole other layer of two to the potential of problems.

(This post was edited by Carron on Feb 8, 2009, 11:10 AM)

nancyinpdx

Feb 9, 2009, 8:08 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron and Sergiogomez] traspaso casa

In Reply To
Thanks to both of you. Sounds too scary to me!

nancy

sioux4noff

Feb 9, 2009, 8:58 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyinpdx] traspasa casa

As was said, sometimes it just means the house is for sale. It would be important, of course, to establish that early on in any negotiations.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4