Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Willie1

Feb 7, 2009, 8:05 AM

Post #1 of 5 (16078 views)

Shortcut

Star Choice TV

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone please advise how far south that Star Choice service can be received? Colima of further south?

Thanks....

johanson / Moderator

Feb 7, 2009, 11:11 AM

Post #2 of 5 (16067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Willie1] Star Choice TV

Star Choice which transmits its signals from 2 satellites can be viewed in Central America. What I don't know is how far south you can go using Star Choice's largest elliptical dish the 75 E. It gives a very strong signal along the shores of Lake Chapala. But that's no big deal, you can always have a larger satellite dish installed locally. I'm guessing though that even with the Star Choice 75 E sat dish that you will receive a strong enough signal in Colima for watching TV except during rain storms which here, of course is in the summer, not winter.

(This post was edited by johanson on Feb 7, 2009, 11:12 AM)

ronincolima

Mar 2, 2009, 12:22 PM

Post #3 of 5 (15895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Willie1] Star Choice TV

Great signal in Manzanillo using E75 dish.

All StarChoice HD channels signals in high 70s. A couple of regular channels down to 40, but no problem watching them.

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
You might find
You'll get what you need. (Jagger, Richards)

taltman711

Mar 2, 2009, 12:53 PM

Post #4 of 5 (15886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Star Choice TV

Star Choice which transmits its signals from 2 satellites can be viewed in Central America. What I don't know is how far south you can go using Star Choice's largest elliptical dish the 75 E. It gives a very strong signal along the shores of Lake Chapala. But that's no big deal, you can always have a larger satellite dish installed locally. I'm guessing though that even with the Star Choice 75 E sat dish that you will receive a strong enough signal in Colima for watching TV except during rain storms which here, of course is in the summer, not winter.

Hey MexicoPete,

The Patriot 85-E--30x36 elliptical--is available, and provides better signal for rainfade and allows reception a bit further south. Available from http://www.global-cm.net/. Bigger is better, and this dish is still not huge. If one is installing a system, get the bigger dish(es). If you want HD from Anik F2, a dedicated dish for F1R and F2 would give you the best protection against rainfade.

Tim

johanson / Moderator

Mar 2, 2009, 1:22 PM

Post #5 of 5 (15879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [taltman711] Star Choice TV

Hi: Tim

Thanks as always for the lead. I didn't know Mike Kohl (of Global) carried such a dish. As you suggest the patriot 85 E is somewhat larger 36 by 30 inches than the Star Choice 75 E which measures from edge to edge 36.5 inches by only 26.5 inches. Here lakeside I have some rain fade using the Star Choice dish but it is a lot less than with my 4 foot in diameter pointing at 119 W and my 2 meter pointing at 110 W (which are as Tim knows are satellites used by DISH)

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 2, 2009, 1:37 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4