Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Rolly

Feb 2, 2009, 2:33 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4435 views)

Shortcut

Adriana makes barbacoa

Can't Post | Private Reply
Barbacoa comes in many forms. Here's a northern México version.

http://rollybrook.com/ar-barbacoa.htm

Rolly Pirate

JohnnyBoy

Feb 4, 2009, 9:58 AM

Post #2 of 5 (4389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Adriana makes barbacoa

Thanks again, Rolly, for a great contribution to MC.

I have an amiga here whose mother makes fantastic barbacoa. I have no idea how she makes it, whether or not it conforms at all to the process you described.

She trades me about a three liters of barbacoa for a large Pyrex (12"x9"?) pan of my brownies, and she swears she is getting the better of me. I don't think so. Anyway, it is nice arrangement.

I was recently in Alamos and had some of the best (pork) ribs and arrachera I have ever had, at a very cool little place called "Le Papillon." The owner is a cute, vivacious (to the point of becoming too much to handle) little Mexicana, but it is her new Gringo Significant Other from Missouri who cooks the ribs in a big black smoker with logos and emblems from the University of Missouri all over it.

I had not seen the smoker when I told him I had lived most of my life in Kansas. KU and MU are something like rivals, I guess. And you never know how serious people are going to take that sort of thing. His only remark to me, a question actually, was which Kansas City bbq I liked. I had to admit I had never eaten KC bbq. Just Mormon bbq from my mother, akin to Spam simmered in ketchup, Alabama country bbq, and North Carolina.

I have to say, his is definitely the best I have had in a long, long time. So if you are ever in Alamos, check out the Papillon and see if they have ribs or arrachera. All her food is very good.

sergiogomez

Feb 4, 2009, 1:21 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4377 views)

Shortcut

Beautiful photography, as always, Rolly.

Jetski

Mar 22, 2009, 12:41 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4165 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for a great write up on this barbacoa method Rolly, just a couple of comments about how folks do this in the southern Sinaloa area. Maguey plants are scarce here so banana leaves are most often used, but when maguey leaves are found they are cut about a week before cooking as I'm told fresh cut maguey may make the meat bitter. Most often the traditional pit cooking style of barbacoa is still done here though which gives an additional smoked flavor to the meat.

Rolly

Mar 22, 2009, 1:38 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jetski] Adriana makes barbacoa

"...when maguey leaves are found they are cut about a week before cooking..."

Good point. Adriana did the same. I didn't realize it was important enough to mention.

Thanks for the tip. I'll go back to add a note about waiting.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4