Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Moisheh

Jan 29, 2009, 4:48 PM

Post #1 of 14 (6400 views)

Shortcut

keeping car registered NOB

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have seen many posts on this subject. But I have yet to see an answer that quotes an official or a law that states it it is not necessary to keep your plates current . A friend of mine is new to Mexico with an FM3. She would like to keep her Canadian car in Mexico. She asked me if the plates had to be kept current. I know that many do not bother renewing their NOB registration but other than maybe your insurance company wanting current plates is it a requirement ?

Thanks

Moisheh

BajaGringo

Feb 2, 2009, 10:03 PM

Post #2 of 14 (6312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] keeping car registered NOB

In Mexico you can drive a foreign plated car as long as you have a drivers license from the same place it is registered AND the plates are current.

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

bournemouth

Feb 3, 2009, 6:16 AM

Post #3 of 14 (6301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] keeping car registered NOB

The "having the plates current" is such a bone of contention. Is it possible that you can cite the law that says they have to be current? We keep ours current as it can be done on line and is one less thing to be hassled about should you be stopped for any reason, but it seems that many, many ex-pats do not bother.

BajaGringo

Feb 3, 2009, 6:41 AM

Post #4 of 14 (6297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] keeping car registered NOB

I was told it comes under the law they use to "try" to manage the "carro chocolate" problem.

Lomas de San Martin

Anonimo

Feb 3, 2009, 9:59 AM

Post #5 of 14 (6270 views)

Shortcut

Well, we have had expired Arkansas plates and drivers' permits since about 2007.

But we did apply for and get Mexican drivers' permits in Pátzcuaro.
We believe we are o.k. in this matter. Haven't had a problem yet.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Rolly

Feb 3, 2009, 2:13 PM

Post #6 of 14 (6245 views)

Shortcut

I have spent too much of my old age searching for an official answer to this question. I am convinced that it does not exist on the internet.

There is a very large amount of anecdotal "evidence" that has convinced me of two things:

1. In the mainland of México, current registration is not required.

2. In Baja, it is required.

I should acknowledge that the plural of anecdote is not data. But sometimes, a huge number of anecdotal points do amount to convincing "data."

There was an aduana website (now gone) that gave a list of acceptable paper to prove ownership of a vehicle -- title or registration. Then there was the notation that if the registration was expired, the title must be used. It didn't say that expired registration was a block to getting a permit. I saw that as evidence that expired plates are OK. I'm really sorry that webpage is gone.

Be aware that there are some insurance companies that require current registration.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 3, 2009, 2:18 PM)

Moisheh

Feb 3, 2009, 3:19 PM

Post #7 of 14 (6231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] keeping car registered NOB

Thank you Rolly. i have read the non official answer to my question many times. I guess there is no answer. BajaGringo: You should not make those statements as being fact unless you have direct knowledge that they are true! Thanks for the other replies.

Moisheh

BajaGringo

Feb 3, 2009, 8:46 PM

Post #8 of 14 (6199 views)

Shortcut

I am only speaking from my experience and information given to me by an official who I interpreted to be an authority on the subject. While working in mainland Mexico (Mexico City) and driving a California plated car I had let my registration expire. I was planning on returning in a couple of months to the US and didn't want to make a special trip just for that reason. I was stopped a few times for the expired plates and successfully convinced a few traffic cops that it was OK. The third would not budge and I went into the juez de turno. When I questioned whether I had to have current plates from California to drive in Mexico he produced a printed copy of the law showing under what conditions and circumstances that foreign cars could be driven in Mexico and by whom. At the very bottom of the page was the final paragraph stating that "AT ALL TIMES THE FOREIGN PLATED VEHICLE MUST HAVE CURRENT REGISTRATION FROM THEIR COUNTRY/STATE OF ORIGIN and THE DRIVER MUST HAVE A VALID/CURRENT DRIVERS LICENSE FROM THE SAME COUNTRY/STATE OF ORIGIN." He then went onto explain that the law was enacted to help combat the problem with Mexicans driving (expired) US plated cars and avoiding paying registration in Mexico. (carros chocolates)

Sorry if that doesn't float your boat Moisheh but I took that as proof enough. You can find whatever you want on the internet and Mexico is famous for having contradictory information online. The most important info you will find is what a judge says to you when confronted on the issue. Go ahead and take your chances Moisheh, maybe you will luck out and find a judge not so well versed as I did.

I paid the fine and left for California two days later to get current tags.

YMMV...

Lomas de San Martin

(This post was edited by BajaGringo on Feb 3, 2009, 8:53 PM)

Moisheh

Feb 4, 2009, 4:32 AM

Post #9 of 14 (6186 views)

Shortcut

Baja Gringo:

Thank you for the detailed information.

Moisheh

Carron

Feb 4, 2009, 6:45 AM

Post #10 of 14 (6170 views)

Shortcut

We rarely have any contact with local police, but a few weeks ago as we passed a little sub-station on our way to the ranch we were flagged over in our 1983 Chevy truck. Couldn't imagine what the problem was since we weren't speeding. The officer pointed to our very old license plate, which may indeed have been original to the truck. Hubby simply showed him the current registration sticker on the windshield, which Texas now uses instead of issuing new plates annually. He sent us quickly on our way.

johanson

Feb 4, 2009, 7:43 AM

Post #11 of 14 (6158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] keeping car registered NOB

Well if they are going to start enforcing this law, I am in trouble along with about 10% to 20% of the other Expats with cars here along the shores of Lake Chapala My tags say 2004, I know folks with cars that haven't been updated since the 90's.

I kept on trying to update in Texas where I bought my car which always stays in Mexico, but couldn't because I did not have insurance for Texas, just Mexico. I suppose I could get North (or was it South) Dakota plates I a lot of folks do. But so far, there hasn't been a need.

Georgia

Feb 4, 2009, 8:17 AM

Post #12 of 14 (6152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] keeping car registered NOB

Hi, Rolly. I think it really all boils down to your insurance provider's requirements and keeping your importation sticker current with your immigration status. Basically, the Mexican government does not have jurisdiction to enforce US vehicle registration laws and you can't legalize newer cars from the US... so you can't have current Mexican plates and Mexico can't enforce US registration requirements. I think that is why the law is silent on the question.

BajaGringo

Feb 4, 2009, 9:33 AM

Post #13 of 14 (6135 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] keeping car registered NOB

Georgia: it is an area where Mexico is not consistent in their enforcement of the law (imagine that!) and probably why there is so much confusion over the issue. I read somewhere that you can get a non-op registration from many states where you make a statement of fact that the vehicle will not be in the US. The fee is much less and if you are stopped you have something to show them with a current date.

Just a thought...

Lomas de San Martin

(This post was edited by BajaGringo on Feb 4, 2009, 9:36 AM)

Carron

Feb 4, 2009, 7:00 PM

Post #14 of 14 (6089 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] keeping car registered NOB

Last time we bought a car from a private individual in Texas we had to show proof of insurance in order to transfer the title into our name. Since we did not have a lien we only needed the minimum liability amount. And, we only had to show proof that the insurance coverage was good for at least 30 days. I think it may have cost $53 US. Now I believe the minimum insurance term is 60 days, but otherwise the registration is pretty easy.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4