Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

whistler

Jan 20, 2009, 7:08 PM

Post #1 of 13 (12110 views)

Shortcut

Texas Drivers Licenses not valid in Michoacan!!!!!!!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Today, in the motor vehicle department in Morelia I was advised that a Texas driver's license is not valid in Michoacan. A Mexican license is necessary. And, I was told that I cannot get a driver's license in Michoacan with a Tourist Visa.

In short, I was advised that I cannot drive until and unless I get a different visa.

I then asked my auto insurance agent if my Texas license is valid in Michoacan and he said yes.

My Texas license is just a Texas drivers license, not an international license.

I am now driving illegally, I think, but am not sure! Maybe I need to get a different visa. Maybe not.

Some ideas:

There are three motor vehicle offices in Morelia. Maybe each has its own rules. I can try the other two.
I can try the motor vehicle office in Patzucauro. I am told they make up the rules as they go.
I can leave my car parked and save gas.
I can get an FM3 or some other visa.

Does anyone have any information or ideas that would be helpful?

Brian

Jan 21, 2009, 5:02 AM

Post #2 of 13 (12087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] Texas Drivers Licenses not valid in Michoacan!!!!!!!

I am guessing that the failure to communicate in this case might be due to a language barrier. Why would you be going to transito in the first place? Are you applying for a Mexican driver's license? Your car is just fine as long as your visa and auto permit are current. Whoever told you that you are in a catch22 and cannot drive in Michoacan or any other state in Mexico is just wrong. Not the first, or the last, time that you will be given erroneous information at a governmental agency.

sioux4noff

Jan 21, 2009, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 13 (12068 views)

Shortcut

An international visitor who rents a car or comes in their own car would not have a Mexican license. I agree with others, this is a case of the official not knowing what's correct.

whistler

Jan 21, 2009, 9:30 AM

Post #4 of 13 (12058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Texas Drivers Licenses not valid in Michoacan!!!!!!!

But I just bought a Mexican car. Maybe I cannot use my Texas license.

Brian

Jan 21, 2009, 10:12 AM

Post #5 of 13 (12049 views)

Shortcut

OK, don't fight it. Ni modo. It's not worth the grief. If you are a resident, pay the extra money and get your FM3. Then get a Mexican drivers license.

Marlene

Jan 21, 2009, 3:24 PM

Post #6 of 13 (12018 views)

Shortcut

In Sinaloa, where I live, foreigners need at least an FM3 in order to register a vehicle purchased here.

whistler

Jan 21, 2009, 3:34 PM

Post #7 of 13 (12014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Texas Drivers Licenses not valid in Michoacan!!!!!!!

I was able to register the car with my tourist visa, but was advised I cannot drive it because I do not have a Mexican license, and cannot get a Mexican license with a tourist visa.

jennifer rose

Jan 21, 2009, 8:21 PM

Post #8 of 13 (11992 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Michoacan requires that applicants who are not Mexican citizens have an immigration status of FM-3 or better.

sioux4noff

Jan 21, 2009, 10:16 PM

Post #9 of 13 (11982 views)

Shortcut

Anyone who rents a car in Mexico can drive it with their US driver's license. So why would driving a private car be any different?

bournemouth

Jan 22, 2009, 6:19 AM

Post #10 of 13 (11971 views)

Shortcut

Sioux - logic does not prevail in these situations!

sioux4noff

Jan 22, 2009, 6:53 AM

Post #11 of 13 (11969 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Texas Drivers Licenses not valid in Michoacan!!!!!!!

True enought that logic does not always prevail.
But...has anyone actually been ticketed for lack of a Mexican driver's license, or been refused to register their Mexican plated car, or refused to have a car sold to them?
Particularly, has anyone actually been ticketed for driving a Mexican plated car without having a Mexican driver's license? If I were being told that, I would certainly ask for the "word of the law" from anyone in authority who told me it was illegal.
After all, cops and other officials are just like most other people, they often tell you things that are not true. Perhaps they think it's true, or wish it was, but I'd still ask to see the law. Or I'd just take the chance that some day I might get a ticket. It's not like they are extremely expensive or that you would lose your car or anything like that.
In that way, you would be like thousandsof Mexican drivers who have no driver's license (or insurance, for that matter.)

mazatlanlee

Jan 22, 2009, 8:16 AM

Post #12 of 13 (11955 views)

Shortcut

Sioux, in answer to your questions, YES on two of them.

Yes, the agency refused to complete the sale of our new Atos in Nov. 2004 until one of us had a Mexican driver's license, and Yes, the registration papers required a Mexican driver's license # before the state of Sinaloa would issue placas. It was the registration process, which was completed before we could drive the Atos out of the showroom.... on the red carpet, yet..... that required the Mexican driver's license, and they agency wouldn't/couldn't sell the car until we had the registration completed.

A year later, he was driving our van, plated in Oregon, after I'd warned him that one headlight was out, and we got pulled over by Transito. He got out and walked back to the officer's car, handed the Transito his Oregon driver's license, and asked, in English, what the problem was. The officer looked at him, then told him, "Listen, buddy, I know who you are; I know you drive an Atos; I know you have a Mexican driver license; I know you speak Spanish. Now, let's not play any games!" So, the two of them stood back there, chit-chatting while I sat in the van, fuming, for the next ten minutes.

Bottom line: we had a new headlight the next morning.

Lee
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

William Gray

May 18, 2009, 8:34 PM

Post #13 of 13 (11071 views)

Shortcut

I think everybody has their own opinion, but I have a question, I've had a Texas drivers license, for almost 10 years, I use it and never had a problem... Question: If you are a tourist and drive to Michoacán from Texas, wouldn't it make Michoacán the biggest tourist trap for texans? The visa along with your license makes it legal for you to drive any vehicle in the whole Republic of México, and it don't matter if you have a Chinese valid driver´s license.

Cheers!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4