Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Ed and Fran

Jan 13, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3751 views)

Shortcut

aka?

Can't Post | Private Reply
One of the common acronyms in use in English is aka, for "also known as". Is there a Mexican Spanish equivalent, like tcc "tambien conocido como"? I've never noticed anything like that, but given the state of the language among younger Mexicans (I can barely understand Junior) I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Ed

sergiogomez / Moderator

Jan 14, 2009, 5:17 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] aka?

There's no real translation of "aka." Tambien conocido como is a phrase that is not used very much except in formal or educational settings. What you will hear people saying all the time is o sea. Often written as one word (osea), this is the standard catch-all phrase that you use when you want to clarify something you said, redefine it, take it back partially, add details, or give another name for something. Tomate, o sea jitomate. Carne de res, o sea de vaca. El muy tonto, o sea el pendejo. You get the idea.

Ed and Fran

Jan 14, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] aka?

That's about what I figured since I hadn't run across anything similar. Thanks for the response.

Ed

esperanza

Jan 14, 2009, 5:46 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3719 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] aka?

O sea is also often used as one of those space fillers, such as ummm and hmmm and the hideous 'you know' in English. It's right up there with pues in that category. And bueno...a drawn-out bueno...or a combo, bueno pues...o sea...

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4