"BOLA DE TUTROS"

Need help.

Oscar2

Jan 12, 2009, 8:35 PM

Post #2 of 5 (8288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] BOLA DE TUTROS

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just a guess, I have a feeling its a type-o of some kind. Could it have meant: “BOLA DE TOROS” if there is such a festivity.

sergiogomez / Moderator

Jan 12, 2009, 11:25 PM

Post #3 of 5 (8278 views)

Shortcut

What context did you hear or see this in?

As Oscar suggests, I suspect that this is a corruption of "bola de toros," which in turn is probably a corruption of "bola de güeyes." Bola de güeyes is what you might say at a party when you see a group of people (usually all male, often drunk) acting foolish or making themselves disagreeable. You nudge your friend, point at the offending group with your lips or chin, and mutter, Mira esa bola de güeyes. Look at that bunch of idiots.

Mexicans love word play and also go to great lengths to disguise their insults. For a Mexican, it's perfectly normal (and logical) to take a phrase like bola de bueyes (güeyes), change buey to toro (since steers and bulls are almost the same), and then change toro to a nonsense word. . .just for the fun of it.

robrt8

Jan 14, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #4 of 5 (8248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] BOLA DE TUTROS

It's an Op-Ed headline.
I didn't misspell it. I thought it meant "house of cards" from its context. But I'm sure now I'm wrong.

sergiogomez / Moderator

Jan 29, 2009, 10:09 PM

Post #5 of 5 (8158 views)

Shortcut

Perfect title for an op-ed headline. The author means "bola de güeyes," and he or she undoubtedly gave someone a real scouring in that article.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4