Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

grox13

Jan 11, 2009, 11:18 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1624 views)

Shortcut

Driving to SMA in Feb.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have been reading many of the posts this past mo. on driving to mexico and think I am ready to take the plunge but need clarification on a couple of items.
1. Do I need the original title to my truck?(its owned free and clear)Some postings said only copy of original with current registration others say original. Which is correct?
2. I am also borrowing friends 28 ft.enclosed trailer.I will have a notorised letter giving me permission to use in mexico and will get seperate ins policy but again do I need originals or are copies ok?
3.Most important question. I am now the proud owner of a house in SMA but will only be crossing with a tourist visa. No plans right now to go for FM3 but I want to take a trailer load of household and personal items to SMA on this trip.Not leaving truck so thats one less problem.
I read Rolly's post on his moving and reviewed list of allowed items up to $1,000 but not sure what happens if someone determines if I'm over that amount and how much would I pay for duty.
I'm planning on having list of those items in boxes ie sheets,kitchen items bbq etc.(most of this left after sale of RV)Will also have used beds and furniture for bedrooms along with a golf cart.
Most people I have talked to that have done similar crossings has me confused.It appears it could depend on whether theres a full moon or what time of day it is.
Do I push the butten nothing to declare and hope for the best or be right up front and try to negotiate a fair duty.y preferance is be up front,show them everything and pay what they think is a fair duty.Has anyone experienced taking excess things accross and what did you pay if there was a charge?
Any and all ideas are welcome

Rolly

Jan 11, 2009, 11:33 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockstr3] Driving to SMA in Feb.

1. Do I need the original title to my truck?(its owned free and clear)Some postings said only copy of original with current registration others say original. Which is correct?

The registration paper (original) is sufficient; but if I were doing it, I would also take the original title.

2. I am also borrowing friends 28 ft.enclosed trailer.I will have a notarized letter giving me permission to use in México and will get separate ins policy but again do I need originals or are copies OK?

The notarized letter is enough, but having a copy of the title might be useful.

I read Rolly's post on his moving and reviewed list of allowed items up to $1,000 but not sure what happens if someone determines if I'm over that amount and how much would I pay for duty.

If you have more that US$1,000 in dutiable items, you may be required to hire a customs broker. A lot depends on where you cross. A large busy crossing will be stricter. A smaller place like Colombia is ofter more accommodating. No way to know what the duty will be. It is generally 17% of the perceived value of the item.

Do I push the button nothing to declare and hope for the best or be right up front and try to negotiate a fair duty.y preference is be up front,show them everything and pay what they think is a fair duty.

Be honest.

Rolly Pirate

grox13

Jan 11, 2009, 12:48 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1589 views)

Shortcut

Forgot to mention I would be driving from No. Ca. and thought crossing at Nogales would be easier for Ins. etc. but is there a better crossing to consider especially for taking these items across?
I want to stay on decent roads and was paying attention to suggestions about staying away from Hwy 2 fron Yuma but anyone else have experience at this border crossing?

Brian

Jan 11, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1586 views)

Shortcut

You don't have a choice about pushing the button. As you approach the aduana, you have the option of using the declarations lane or not. If you choose the former, you will tell the agent what you have and then pay the appropriate duty. You will then be directed to push the button and, if red, your car may be searched in order to determine that you actually paid for all the stuff for which there is a duty. That is the choice most gringos make but it is not, in my father-in-law's words. "the Mexican way". Evidence of this can be found in the parking lots at Chula Vista shopping malls and Costco. They are full of shopping carts which contain the boxes and packing materials of new items particularly electronics. Mexicans and savvy border-area resident gringos frequently do this in order to be able to say that they are used merchandise. They know that there is no penalty for driving through the nothing to declare lane and then being given the random red light. If that happens to you, you will be directed over to an area where your vehicle will be searched irrespective of what you say you have got. If you owe duty, you must pay it but, as I said, there is no penalty simply for using the non-declaration lane. This information is based upon five years of daily commuting between Tijuana and San Diego. My suggestion pertains to border crossings in general. With a 28 foot trailer, and the increased awareness of arms smuggling. it is possible that you would get waived over for inspection even if you do get the green light. I am not aware of any recent changes so suggest you just do whatever makes you the most comfortable.

P.S. Gasoline is much more expensive in Mexico right now than it is in the United States. When I used to drive down to SMA from San Diego, I always chose to drive east on the 10 through Arizona, New Mexico and a very long and boring stretch through West Texas. From San Antonio, drop south on I-35 (don't say "the 35" or the natives will know you are from Cali) and cross at Laredo. The US roads are in good shape but unless you have satellite radio, you might become bored after hours of religious programming. From Laredo you follow mostly smooth and fast, but very expensive toll roads almost all the way to San Miguel.

(This post was edited by Brian on Jan 11, 2009, 2:33 PM)

Rolly

Jan 11, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Driving to SMA in Feb.

If you follow Brian's good advice, plan to cross at Colombia rather than Laredo because the customs guys are likely to be easier to deal with, and you get to miss the mess of Laredo/N.Laredo.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Jan 12, 2009, 1:00 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Driving to SMA in Feb.

The crossing here in Cd. Acuna, across from Del Rio, is generally an easy one but I, too, have often seen cars with trailers being flagged down and pulled over after they got the green light. I would suggest going through the non-declare lane, pushing the button, being prepared to be stopped, then act very dumb and very polite if it actually happens. It may also depend on what time you cross. Here everyone has to go through the red light inspection between the hours of midnight and very early morning. Cursory greetings usually followed by an immediate "pasale".

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4