Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

raferguson

Jan 7, 2009, 9:02 PM

Post #1 of 5 (7634 views)

Shortcut

Trago always alcohol?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I tend to think of a trago as an alcoholic drink, but when I looked it up it indicated that it might be hard liquor, or perhaps any drink.

But I can't recall trago being used for Coca-Cola.

This came up while I was listening to New Mexico music during our recent trip. New Mexico has is its own genre of music. The link below is for an excellent public radio station from Albuquerque.

http://www.kanw.com/

Unfortunately, I have not spent enough time with Spanish speakers in New Mexico to be able to make cogent observations about the differences.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

sergiogomez / Moderator

Jan 7, 2009, 11:00 PM

Post #2 of 5 (7628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Trago always alcohol?

Ah yes, 89.1. A popular station, especially with the older Spanish-speaking population up north. But that's another story for another day.

Trago does not strictly mean an alcoholic drink, although that connotation is very strong. Un trago de agua is a drink/swallow/mouthful of water. But usually, trago refers to tequila or some other hard alcohol--anything that is taken in shots and thus swallowed in one mouthful (de un trago). Loosely, it refers to beer or any other alcoholic drink: if a buddy invites you for a drink (te invita un trago), you might drink more beer than tequila, depending on your preferences.

sioux4noff

Jan 8, 2009, 3:22 PM

Post #3 of 5 (7606 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Trago always alcohol?

I have heard "trago" as pretty much meaning "a sip". When I was drinking a Coke the other day, my friend said "dame un trago, por favor".

sergiogomez / Moderator

Jan 8, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #4 of 5 (7602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Trago always alcohol?

Yes, that is what the word means. When someone wants a sip of your drink, they will say just that: "dame un trago" or "dame un traguito." However, "quiero un trago" usually indicates a desire for an alcoholic drink. You can always figure out the meaning of the word from the context.

sioux4noff

Jan 8, 2009, 8:00 PM

Post #5 of 5 (7595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Trago always alcohol?

I see the distinction. Thanks!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4