Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johanson / Moderator

Jan 1, 2009, 3:54 PM

Post #1 of 45 (10833 views)

Shortcut

Internet speed

Can't Post | Private Reply
I remember during the summer of 1997 when internet first reached lakeside (Lake Chapala); it was Lagunanet's dial up service and the speeds averaged about 27kb/sec down and a little faster up. Things sure have changed during the last 11.5 years. Today lakeside Telecable's cybercable internet subdivision offers download speeds of up to 6 megs down with the upload speed about 1/3rd thereof. And when a friend in Chapala who has the 6 meg connection does a speed test he sometimes gets up to 4,900 kb/sec down 1,600 kb/sec up, which sounded great to me.

But then I came up North, Tuesday evening, the 30th to be exact. In Seattle I have Comcast's slowest internet cable connection. They sent us an email stating that they had just doubled our speeds but didn't go into detail. Shown below are the result of a speed test I did on my comcast cable connect at

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net]

Remember that this is Comcast's slowest speed in my area of Seattle. Now if they would only give me half or a third of that speed for a half or a third of the price that I am now paying, $45.95 US. As least they stop billing me once per year when I head south as a snowbird.

Where are you located and what type of internet speeds are you getting?

DavidMcL

Jan 1, 2009, 7:40 PM

Post #2 of 45 (10795 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet speed

Ajijic, Infinitium (TelMex)

Sad!
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Jan 1, 2009, 7:41 PM)

JohnnyBoy

Jan 2, 2009, 5:33 PM

Post #3 of 45 (10762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Internet speed

Don't know to cut and the paste the screen, the results from the test here, but here they are:

Download: 446 kb/s
Upload: 50 kb/s

TelMex Infinitum lowest bandwidth offering for about 400 pesos per month.

Count your blessings...

It is any wonder my Vonage VoIP doesn't work for poop?

johanson / Moderator

Jan 2, 2009, 8:16 PM

Post #4 of 45 (10746 views)

Shortcut

To both of you. Those are reasonable speeds for the Infinitum "hasta" 2 meg down by "hasta" 256 up and the slow "hasta" 512 down by I believe 64 up connection speeds.

The "hasta" stands for "up to". Notice that Infinitum's upload speeds are always very low, about 1/8th the download speed. I would guess they do this to make it difficult to use their internet connection for VoIP (Vonage, Skype, etc) remember that Infinitum is owned by the telephone company.

The cable company offers an upload speed that is 1/3rd the download speed.

Judy in Ags

Jan 3, 2009, 8:27 AM

Post #5 of 45 (10727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Internet speed

Ours is

Download: 411
Upload: 90

Telmex Infinitum - also the lowest price available.

Vonage works wonderfully for us. Once in a while we completely lose the connection, but the quality is great and we use it A LOT.

JohnnyBoy

Jan 3, 2009, 11:56 AM

Post #6 of 45 (10711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Internet speed

Judy,

You appear to have a little more upload bandwidth than I have, but my Vonage is pretty bad.

If I am calling someone on his/her cell phone my voice breaks up so bad and so often that the call is totally worthless. I have to be sure I am calling someone on his/her landline. And even then they tell me the first word or two of every new phrase I speak (without an interruption or delay, which would constitute a new phrase) is garbled, broken up, or just does not come through at all.

Live and learn. While I was NoB last time I bought both Vonage and MajicJack on the basis of the glowing reports about both of them that I read here on MC, but neither of them works very well for me.

Previously I had used Skype with great success until one day, during 15-20 seconds between two calls to the same number, Skype suddenly stopped working, in that the people on the other end could not hear me...at all, nada. I discovered that as soon as I dialed the call Skype (or something) would mute my mic. As soon as I ended the call, it would reactivate the mic. And as I say, this little bug crept in between two calls I made to the same hotel in Phoenix. I called there and completed the call, but forgot one important question. I immediately redialed the number, they answered, but they could not hear me. And it has been that way ever since to any number I call on Skype.

I can use Skype on my partner's laptop and it works fine every time. So, maybe it is my laptop. Who knows.

All I know is that technology in Mexico is getting the better of me. Between this and trying to get decent TV service, and find an auto mechanic that can find a parasitic electrical leak (even at an auto electric service), I am losing the battle.

RickS

Jan 3, 2009, 3:09 PM

Post #7 of 45 (10695 views)

Shortcut

While I don't profess to be an expert in all things telephony.....

Like almost everything else in the computer world, one cannot depend on just one aspect of something to determine success. Such is the case with bandwidth when talking about carrying voice over the internet. Other factors such as 'jitter' and 'packet loss' (to name a couple) are also important. Jitter refers to the (lack of) smooth transferring of data, thus voice. Two computers talking to each other over that line can afford to have some jitter because they will just wait for the other one to get all the data to it. But if your voice data starts and stops a lot (thus is jittery), the voice that is heard on the other end will be just that.... halting and choppy.

Packet Loss... Packets are how data (in this case voice data) is bundled up and sent over the Internet (maybe analogous to shipping a load of coal somewhere in many boxcars which make up a single train delivery.... a sentence). If enough packets of voice get lost on the long ride to your co-caller, the conversation will loose maybe a word or two here and there. This makes the conversation a little hard to decipher. Lose enough of them and the conversation will be incomprehensible. If packet loss and jitter are high, you've got a mess.

John, your 50kbps upload speed is marginal for carrying your voice out, even if the other factors were all good. Not impossible but everything else better be just right! And remember it may have been 50kbps for a while but a few minutes later it could have dropped to 42kbps (or less). On the other hand, Judy's 90kbps (which may sound just a bit better) is actually close to 100% better than yours and is plenty fast enough for voice. And I suspect that, since she says it is always good, she has very little jitter and packet loss bothering her. Thus she is happy.

If all of that bored you, I apologize.....

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 3, 2009, 3:16 PM)

S & C

Jan 3, 2009, 4:39 PM

Post #8 of 45 (10688 views)

Shortcut

I am near Tulum, in Quintana Roo along the Caribbean coast and we don't even have a land telephone line here. They say they are too busy keeping up with the growth in the towns around to deal with the area we live in with less than 100 homes, all American or Canadians.
We use Telcel pay-as-you-go cell phones for Mex calls and Vonage for all others. Many times we use the Vonage to call other neighbors a few lots down the beach.
That's a hoot. I use my Philly Vonage line to call my friends Portland line to connect only 10 lots away.
Aside from satelite internet the only game in this area is by way of what I think is a microwave signal from a small (15 to 18") dish on my roof to an antenna repeating station about 1/2 mile away.
I used to have a problem with my vonage until they updates things last year.
For $59/month USD I just did 3 checks for speed,
187 to 196 download and 260 to 620 upload

Vonage says it needs at least 90 each way to work properly so we normally have excellent reception.
I also buy a year subscription and get 2 months free.
Stan

robrt8

Jan 3, 2009, 6:56 PM

Post #9 of 45 (10675 views)

Shortcut

SMA Infinitum:

This varies bigtime. Using a cheapo wireless router.

N2Futur

Jan 5, 2009, 7:55 AM

Post #10 of 45 (10642 views)

Shortcut

in Melaque today. Our Vonage works fine most of the time, but we cannot be online at the same time.

Elke

JohnnyBoy

Jan 5, 2009, 8:26 AM

Post #11 of 45 (10640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Internet speed

Can someone explain to me, in simple steps, 1-2-3, how to get that clip from the speed test screen into a window here, or elsewhere. I am just amazed at how easily someone of you seem to do it. Maybe I can learn something useful here.

Thanks.

jb

N2Futur

Jan 5, 2009, 8:49 AM

Post #12 of 45 (10638 views)

Shortcut

John, it is very simple. After you run the Speed Test, your results will display. Right below there is an option: SHARE YOUR RESULTS. The first one is FORUM LINK - click on the COPY button, then come back here and right click your mouse and do a PASTE - it will show up something like [ ] ........., then complete your post - and VOILA - your speed test will show up.

A few other ways are shown here: http://www.phpbb.com/.../faq.php?mode=bbcode

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Jan 5, 2009, 8:54 AM)

Rolly

Jan 5, 2009, 9:00 AM

Post #13 of 45 (10632 views)

Shortcut

Re: Internet speed

Mine has been this way for the past 3 days. Usually I get 800+ down and around 90 up.

Rolly Pirate

JohnnyBoy

Jan 5, 2009, 10:39 AM

Post #14 of 45 (10622 views)

Shortcut

Well, duh, yes, it was very easy. Makes you wonder how I ever survived as a professional computer prgrammer and systems analyst for 25 years, doesn't it. I think I am getting denser and denser in my retirement.

Those are my recent results. I am still testing my Vonage and MagicJack, trying to decide whether to keep them or not, or just get a new laptop that will run Skype.

Thanks to all for the help.

jb

yucatandreamer

Jan 5, 2009, 12:53 PM

Post #15 of 45 (10610 views)

Shortcut

johanson / Moderator

Jan 5, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #16 of 45 (10608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Internet speed

Just a point of interest. As your speeds get higher, one needs to be connected to his modem and/or router via Cat 5e, you know cable to get the higher speeds. For example I just did a speed test connected via cable and got

Now let me disconnect the cable and try it via a wireless connection only 10 feet from the router. This is pretty representative of either of my Dell Vista laptop computers. My Sony desk-top usually does a little better.

The computers are running on Vista and I am using a new Linksys n router fully encrypted at both ends

(This post was edited by johanson on Jan 5, 2009, 2:29 PM)

N2Futur

Jan 5, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #17 of 45 (10602 views)

Shortcut

http://www.speedtest.net/result/307693609.png

My speed last August and I am subscribed to the 1GB service...... I tested for 3 consecutive days and they were all in the same range.....

This one just now, connected directly to the router, rather than wireless on the terrace.....

Elke

tashby

Jan 5, 2009, 3:34 PM

Post #18 of 45 (10591 views)

Shortcut

On the terraza in Ajijic via the wireless router with our anemic Telmex 1Gig service.

I tried, I really tried, to also get a supplemental/faster service from Telecable. In fact, I paid for it for three months. They could never provide me with the modem inalambrico that was supposed to come with the service. I finally gave up, after countless trips to their office, and cancelled the service. I ran into one of the young women that works at Telecable the other day in town. (She knew me by face at this point.) She said the modems came in the day after I cancelled.

Ahhhhh Mexico.

Insult to injury? I just got our new bill, which should only be for Television service. It seems we're still getting charged for the internet service I never received. And cancelled.

Ha!

(This post was edited by tashby on Jan 5, 2009, 3:37 PM)

Rolly

Jan 6, 2009, 8:32 AM

Post #19 of 45 (10562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Internet speed

Today, my speed is back where it should be.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Jan 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

Post #20 of 45 (10543 views)

Shortcut

Well, the good news sure didn't last long. A trip to Sam's and then this:

Look at the ping time. That's the worst I have seen.

Rolly Pirate

Judy in Ags

Jan 8, 2009, 10:09 AM

Post #21 of 45 (10510 views)

Shortcut

Our speed test shows this today:

Regarding "being online" at the same time, I haven't found that to be a problem, but to be downloading or uploading something at the same time I'm using Vonage can be a problem.

Also, I assume all you Vonage users have your "How to Restart Your Network" instructions handy, as I have had to do that a few times.

All in all, I'm still really pleased with Vonage. We have both the base set and the handset and it's so nice for both of us to be able talk (or listen) at the same time.

JohnnyBoy

Jan 8, 2009, 10:58 AM

Post #22 of 45 (10503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Internet speed

Judy,

Do you get the higher speed internet service from Telmex?

We downgraded to the lowest speeds because it saved us almost 50% on our phone bill. It went from somewhere over 700 pesos a month to 389. But I have noticed a real decline in internet response time.

After all that I got Vonage. If my partner is on his laptop, always wirelessly, at the time I receive a phone call on Vonage, the phone rings once, and the call is gone. The callers tell me all they ever hear is a rapid busy signal.

If the person I call is using a cell phone, my voice breaks up on his/her end to the point the call is impossible to complete. In every instance I had to call the person back on his/her land line.

I recently tried to call the Social Security Administration to do a change of address. They have an automated system where you can speak answers over the phone to verify who you are and then give the new address. I worked with it two or three times, having to repeat virtually every response multiple times, until near the end of the last attempt, it (the system) gave up and transferred me to an agent. And she had a hard time hearing me.

I find that I now avoid making calls because I am afraid I am going to have a bad time, but the little box is sitting here and is connected. I guess my options are to go back to the higher speed internet and see if that improves the calls, or get rid of Vonage. I am afraid if I go back to higher speed internet and the Vonage calls are not significantly improved, to justify another $30-$40 expense, I may not be able to get this 389-peso deal again. I think it was a special offer.

jb

Rolly

Jan 8, 2009, 12:23 PM

Post #23 of 45 (10494 views)

Shortcut

John, give Skype a try. Mine works very well even though my speed varies all over the place.

http://www.skype.com

Rolly Pirate

JohnnyBoy

Jan 8, 2009, 12:45 PM

Post #24 of 45 (10492 views)

Shortcut

Rolly,

It is possible you did not read one of my recent posts about Skype. Or maybe you have forgotten.

I used to use Skype and was really completely happy and satisfied with it. I used it for more than a year on three different computers: a desktop, which I have now sold, my laptop, and on occasion on my partner's laptop. It worked great. I guess there are even options where you can receive calls, but I only ever used the basic outgoing service.

Then one time, between two calls to the same motel in Phoenix, placed within 30 seconds of each other (the end of one and the dialing of the second one), Skype stopped working on my laptop. The people on the other end could not hear me. I could hear them just fine.

After rebooting, and reloading software, and emails with Skype techs with lots of screen prints, etc. etc. they (Skype) told me the problem I was having was known to them and that they were working on it.

In a nutshell, as soon as the call connects, Skype mutes my mic. As soon as the call terminates, it reactivates my mic.

It does this only on my laptop. It still works OK on my partner's laptop, but I do not have enough access to it to be able to depend on using Skype on it.

Even though Skype said they were aware of the problem, I think it was just their way of getting rid of me. I think the problem is with my laptop. It had a really nasty virus/Trojan a year or so ago. It took me a long time to get it straightened out enough to use again, but it still has some quirky little problems and new ones keep springing up all the time.

A feature involving the weather on MSN.com suddenly stopped working and it tells me I need to have active scripts enabled on my computer. Well, they are enabled. That feature had always worked on my laptop and suddenly one day it was gone. Certain ads will not display. And I never monkey around with weird settings on my laptop. I am a very simple and basic user.

Anyway, I decided to try Vonage and MagicJack based on good things I had read about them here on MC, but that was before anyone starting talking about problems with Vonage due to slow internet access.

Thanks for your help and advice, however. I may eventually have to buy a new laptop and start over with Skype. I hate to think about the hassle with Vonage returning their hardware and cancelling their service.

jb

RickS

Jan 8, 2009, 2:00 PM

Post #25 of 45 (10486 views)

Shortcut

John, my comments are made in an attempt to help you through your computer/voice-calls problems and surely not to put you down.....

+ The odds are very slim, based on what you have told us about your problems, that any of us on the forum will be able to solve your problem.
+ If your Telmex speeds are consistently as you have described them to be, getting reliable voice service is not going to happen no matter if you are using Skype, Vonage or Magic Jack. Some of the symptoms you have described are consistent with trying to use an inadequate 'speed' connection.

+ If your laptop has had problems in the past and mayber still in the present, trying to use it over even a good Internet connection can only lead to mucho frustration
+ Problems such as you have described are typically resolved only by "logical trouble-shooting steps" performed by a knowledgeable computer technician at your house with your laptop using your Telmex Internet access. And even then it is a tough job!

Maybe you can put some time into 'eliminating' the possible culprit(s) by doing something like:

+ Use your partner's laptop, which you say does work on your Telmex Internet access line, to make some test calls using Skype, Vonage and MJ. Do it several times a day and several days a week (to rule out slow traffic at any one time/day). Call some place where you not only just talk, but where you have to punch in 'numbers' to get what you want (These DTMF codes are often harder to get working than just voice.... if voice works consistently but DTMF doesn't, get in touch with "Vonage" and tell them this. They can tweek this for you.
+ IF this laptop works consistently, using all the voice options you own, then 1) your telmex line is sufficient for voice and 2) your laptop is probably the culprit.
+ IF this laptop doesn't give you good calls consistently on all or some of your voice hardware, then your Telmex line (for whatever reason) is probably not going to work for you.
+IF your partner's laptop works 'consistently', then go back to your laptop and do the same tests with it. If it fails or gives spotty service, then your laptop may indeed have some issues.

+ IF your partner's laptop also does not work consistently at your house, try and find a friend who also has Telmex 'with the same speed you have' and take both laptops AND your voice hardware to his/her house and see if anything works over there.
+ IF it does work consistently, then your Telmex Internet connection is suspect (and not just the 'service', but maybe your house/street wiring or Telmex equipment 'in the street' or???

+ IF nothing works well at your house or your friend's house using low speed, then find a friend who has higher speed Telmex Internet service and see how things work there. I'll bet they will work fine there (but maybe not with your laptop!).

John, you may already know all of this. If so, my apologies. And I also suspect that, in Hermosillo, 'having friends' with whom you can test your laptops is not a given. But until and unless you can perform some logical steps like these, resolving your problem probably won't happen. And just because Judy's VoIP works in Aqua, it doesn't follow that yours will in Hermosillo EVEN if you are using the very same computer, the very same Internet provider at the very same speed. I know it is frustrating, but it just doesn't happen that way.

Good Luck
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4