Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

apucko

Jan 3, 2009, 10:14 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4316 views)

Shortcut

40 days trip to cental mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good day
My wife and I would like some feed back on whether the trip we are planning is somewhat feasible or realistic with the time frame we have allotted ourselves for a 40 day trip, we will be taking in mid March 09. We are both retired and in great health. The plan is to fly in to Guadalajara, attend two weeks of spanish courses at IMAC Spanish Language Program, in historic downtown area on la calle Donato Guerra and living with a host family. During this time frame we'll be exploring the surrounding sites. We would like to travel by bus, stay in B&B to Morelia, with side trip to (Quiroga, Tzintzuntzan,Patzcuaro, Island of Janitzio, Santa Clara del Cobre and Uruapan), Queretaro, SMA, Dolores Hidalgo, Quanajuato spending approx three or four days in each locations then returning to Tlaquepaque in Guadalajara and flying back home. Is this itinerary to charged up for this time frame? What areas should we concentrate our efforts with the time we have. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dan & Sue

Anonimo

Jan 3, 2009, 1:18 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [apucko] 40 days trip to cental mexico

If you maintain an open agenda after the 2 weeks in language school, it shouldn't be impossible. The trick is to make lodging reservations for your first and last nights, or perhaps one "special" hotel in some specific city mid trip. That way you can adapt your plans on the fly.

When we used to travel in Mexico before we moved here, we'd travel with a broad and general plan, cutting off and adding on as needed.

Patzcuaro, Tzintzuntzan and Quiroga are all quite close and can be visited on day trips, although Pátzcuaro deserves a few days. (Be aware that at Easter the city fills up and obtaining lodging is difficult, not to mention getting around.) Morelia is only 45 minutes to an hour from Pátzcuaro. There are frequent buses and pretty inexpensive "colectivo" taxis.

Querétaro is a gem, worth a couple of night's visit. San Miguel is special, but Guanajuato is unique, a "don't miss" place. Dolores Hidalgo held little attraction for us when we visited it for a couple of days. Come to think of it, Quiroga is not especially attractive, unless you are looking for leather goods, furniture or the notable carnitas.
http://www.pbase.com/panos/quiroga_feria

The principle attraction of Uruapan is the cascading river in a tropical setting within the Parque Nacional. The city itself is quite homely.
http://picasaweb.google.com/...26PM?feat=directlink

I'd be sure to spend some nights in Pátzcuaro, if possible, making the side trips as you wish. It's a better base than Morelia. I also recommend the lakeshore drive that goes from Ihuatzio to Tzintzuntzan. It can be done in a combi colectivo bus, but a car is preferable.
http://www.pbase.com/...lago_patzcuaro_drive

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

wendy devlin

Jan 3, 2009, 7:33 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4258 views)

Shortcut

Your trip plan is entirely feasible.

Keep in mind that if your trip dates extend the weeks around Semana Santa(Holy Week) Easter this year, April 10-13.
this is a school/business/religious holiday period.

And accommodations where you may wish to stay, may fill up in advance and during the period.

So book(plan)...accordingly.

cristalhombre

Jan 4, 2009, 11:07 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4221 views)

Shortcut

Apucko

Anonimo has given you some GREAT advice!

Mike you can now add "travel agent" to your list of many talents........ You have given Dan + Sue some excellent info and suggestions. The fotos were..."icing on the cake" (had to throw the bakery term in there for you Amigo).

I have been to most of the locations mentioned and they are ALL terrific sites to visit.

One suggestion that I might add...... after Guadalajara - stay a week in Patzcuaro (as a base of travel in Michoacan) and attend morning classes at CELEP, the language school just two blocks off the plaza. The school can arrange a home stay. I thought their program was excellent. 2 hours (9-11am) of classwork and then you have the rest of the day to explore. I did that last February in Patzuaro (that is the time I was able to meet you Mike and your wife). I found it so helpful to balance just a couple of "intense" hours in the classroom and then to PLAY the rest of the day, as opposed to 4 - 5 hours of classroom each day. My brain just shuts down now with toooooo much "español".

Guadalajara will be an intense BIG city experience and then transitioning to Patzcuaro will feel quite manable and refreshing, a good blend for your travels.

If you can find a place to stay during the Holy Week.......... the annual art event in Uruapan is worth attending! The artists of Michoacan are so very talented. I recall (not sure) it started on Good Friday??? It is only an hour from Patzcuaro via public bus.

ETN bus serves every MAJOR city you mentioned. That's how I get around Central MX.

Bien viaje!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Anonimo

Jan 5, 2009, 5:21 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] 40 days trip to cental mexico

Mike you can now add "travel agent" to your list of many talents........

Thanks, Brad. I actually dispense a lot of travel advice. I'm an unpaid, uncertified travel agent. ;-)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

apucko

Jan 7, 2009, 1:19 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] 40 days trip to cental mexico

Thank you very much for the info. It is very informative and glad we were on the right track. Thanks to your comments we have adjusted our plans accordingly. Once again, muchos gracias.
Very nice and interesting web sites.

Dan

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4