Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

wilpharm

Dec 15, 2008, 7:05 AM

Post #1 of 17 (17602 views)

Shortcut

Tepic

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can someone tell me why there are so few Americans in Tepic.GReat roads to Mazatlan & GDL..CLose to beach..WOnderful brand new mall, movies .Chilis REstaraunt, Sams, Walmart etc and it is very rare to see a gringo there? Close to LAgo Aqua MIlpa (great bass fishing) ..IM there a lot and love it..Is there something obvious that I cant see??

RickS

Dec 15, 2008, 9:27 AM

Post #2 of 17 (17564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Tepic

Generally when one finds a paradise, one does not announce it for fear of making it a mecca...... ;>)

bournemouth

Dec 15, 2008, 9:29 AM

Post #3 of 17 (17561 views)

Shortcut

Check in with Cliff and Alice, who have been there for some years now:

http://members4.boardhost.com/Nayarit/index-4.html

sioux4noff

Dec 15, 2008, 4:28 PM

Post #4 of 17 (17529 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Tepic

I like Tepic, and I realize "different strokes for different folks" but it would be a stretch to call it a paradise.

wilpharm

Dec 15, 2008, 5:14 PM

Post #5 of 17 (17525 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Tepic

well sioux..I dont think its paradise either..but Ive found a place up by the lake where I will probably build a house soon..A friend has recently completed a very pretty house,..river view..utilities etc..Hell I probably wouldnt know paradise if I found it..but It doesnt take that to make me happy..just good fishin, a good woman, good tequila and generally warmer winter weather than here in Okla..BTW its 15 degrees here now and windy..Definitely NOT paradise..Oh well thanks for the response and FWIW I by chance met Cliff a couple of years ago at breakfast in Tepic...Very nice man.. thanks folks!!

sioux4noff

Dec 15, 2008, 5:30 PM

Post #6 of 17 (17520 views)

Shortcut

We have a neighbor in Bucerias who moved here from Tepic. She lived in Tepic 1 year, having moved there from Denver.
She said that especially for her, a single retired woman who speaks a small amount of Spanish, it wasn't a good fit.
There isn't a large number of retired people around, so she didn't have many people to go and do things with. For someone who speaks little Spanish, there were very limited volunteer opportunities.
Her neighbors and others she met were working people with little free time. For her, there wasn't a lot to do.
For some people, Tepic would be a great fit, for others not so much.
If we ever tire of living at the coast, we would consider Tepic.

BajaGringo

Dec 15, 2008, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 17 (17505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Tepic

I have found that the definition of "paradise" is a very relative one. I am sure that if each of us here were to list the top three things that would make a particular place "paradise", we could build a very long list. Congrats to the OP for finding "their" definition of paradise. I know that I have found mine...

TalkBaja: Over 25K members...

jerezano

Dec 17, 2008, 5:06 PM

Post #8 of 17 (17437 views)

Shortcut

Hello wilpharm,

You asked:>>>>>Can someone tell me why there are so few Americans in Tepic?<<<<<<<<<

Until just recently Tepic was off the beaten path. Until the cuota to Guadalajara was built about 8 years ago that highway 15? from Tepic to Guadalajara through the Barranca was a killer, both literaly and symbolically. I drove it round trip once and swore never to do it again. I didn't want to put my life at risk.

And on the coast highway 15 from Nogales to Tepic, Tepic was an inconvenient stop on the way to Puerto Vallarta. It wasn't timed right for an overnight so people rarely stopped there on their way South. People overnighted there only because rain, traffic, or some other blockage had delayed them on their way to Vallarta. Some people were forced to do that and decided to live there when they spotted the attractions.

Now as you point out the highway north, the highway east and soon the highway south will all be four lane and easy to drive.

Now as you didn't point out the new development areas are moving north from Puerto Vallarta into the new Riviera Nayarit. Do you think they will stop there? Of course not. They will continue on north.

All this means that Tepic and the Tepic airport will soon become important destinations for movement on to the beaches. Perhaps in some not too distant time just as important as Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlán.

But the Anglo community in Tepic is still very small. I know of less than 10 although there are probably a few others whom I haven't met. If you can't speak Spanish or must coffe klatch with other Americans or Canadians, Tepic is not for you. It has all the other attractions of a major city, Universities, Cultural events, Medical centers, Malls all over the place, cheap rentals, cheap housing. And a friendly and efficiant Immigration office.

Tepic is one of my favorite cities. I would move there in the drop of a hat if it were a bit more convenient to reach Mc Allen Texas. But as of now, even with all the highway improvements it is still a two day drive. I need a one day drive of less than ten hours.

Also Tepic is just about an hour from the beach, does not suffer the excruciating summer weather the beaches do and as a friend living there says "It is the closest to the weather of Honolulu, Hawaii that I have found in Mexico."
With the new 4 lane to be constructed to San Blas it will probably be less than an hour to the beaches.

But San Blas is not the real beach attraction there. The undisclosed paradise beaches will remain undisclosed. I plead the 5th.

wilpharm, does this answer your question?

jerezano

wilpharm

Dec 17, 2008, 5:29 PM

Post #9 of 17 (17432 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Tepic

Thank you, Jerezano..wonderful answer..FWIW the Jack Nicklaus golf consortium has visited several times around the lake to consider building a golf course complex..With the economy going south so fast it would really surprise me if this happens soon. The mall that recently opened (built with a new hotel) is as nice as you will find anywhere..Also there is a very large Coras & Huichole population there..Aqua Milpa is a huge lake ( 70 miles long) HYdro electric producer 600 feet depth at the dam..there are 2 or 3 Indian villages on the lake and they have to come by water to the dam to get to town ( Road from Tepic ends at the dam) It is very interesting to watch them load and unload livestock at the boat ramp..Hard to believe..only one boat ramp on a lake this size...thanks again JOhn Williams

jerezano

Dec 17, 2008, 6:01 PM

Post #10 of 17 (17423 views)

Shortcut

Hello John Williams,

Your lake there at Agua Milpas is now only about 3 or 4 years old. I was living in Tepic temporarily during the winter when they finished building the dam and began filling the lake. Consequently all the fishing lodge development at the end of the road is new and if as you say a friend is constructing a house up there on the lake, he is probably also constructing a road to get there.

The last time I visited the lake about 2 years ago the fishing lodge industry had really taken off and was going great guns since the lake fish had become large enough to talk about. Fishing was really supurb.

For Cora and Huichol you should make the trip to Jesus Maria de Nayar. The road is spectacular but two years ago had not yet been paved all the way from Ruiz. I expect that it still isn't. Be sure and fill up your gas tank at Ruiz.

Hasta luego. jerezano

wilpharm

Dec 18, 2008, 5:34 PM

Post #11 of 17 (17373 views)

Shortcut

jerezano..one of us has been drinking too much good tequila because I started going to Billy Chapmans camp on Aqua Milpa about 9 or 10 years ago.for the last 3 years Ive been staying at Coras LOdge..very close to Champmans..MY friends house is on the river below the dam about 4 or 5 miles on a high rock bluff..just right off the highway and close to the small town of Los Blancas..He is a retired American who is involved with Coras LOdge..his view of the river and mountains is spectacular..
I think for you that time is going by really fast and you are having too much fun..thanks , John..If you are right about those dates Ive had some damn good dreams the last 9 or 10 years..I hope to meet you sometime..I plan to be there fulltime sometime in 2009..BTW have you ever had pescado serandeado(sp?) at Bigotes in Tepic..to die for, man

cristalhombre

Dec 23, 2008, 9:54 AM

Post #12 of 17 (17279 views)

Shortcut

Related Tepic question..........¿Is Hwy 15 - the NEW cuota, (4 lanes) from Mazatlan to Tepic open? Is that completed? If not, any timelines?

thanks

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

jerezano

Jan 25, 2009, 1:29 PM

Post #13 of 17 (17152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cristalhombre] Tepic

Hello,

In answer to the question>>>Related Tepic question..........¿Is Hwy 15 - the NEW cuota, (4 lanes) from Mazatlan to Tepic open? Is that completed? If not, any timelines?

Essentially yes. Highway 15D the cuota from Mazatlan to Tepic is complete except for the last few kilometers into Tepic. Surfaces are excellent even for that section still under construction. That work is being done from the junction of 15 and 15D just north of Tepic into Tepic.

Now the cuota 15D is NOT four lane. It is most of the way two lane but those lanes are actually a wide lane and a half with extremely good surfaces and tipical couta construction with wide sweeping and open curves and gradual grades. The speed limit is 110 KM per hour but at 120 km/hr people would sweep past me and disappear almost instantly. I just drove that 15D from Acaponeta to Tepic in both directions on December 19th and 20th, 2008. From Acaponeta to Mazatlán, I cannot personally speak but I am told that section is also complete.

Work on the incomplete section is proceeding nicely and speeds need not be reduced materially. I drove that section from San Blas to Tepic just two days ago.

So, no, don't worry about that Mazatlán to Tepic section of 15D.

jerezano

headin.south

Feb 3, 2009, 12:50 AM

Post #14 of 17 (17063 views)

Shortcut

RE your comment that Tepic has cheap rentals/housing ---- Do you know of an example of rent for a long-term rental of apartment or small house with 2 bdrms - either furnished or unfurnished. 2 bath would be great but i'm probably dreaming. Are utilities often included? Do you have a recommendation for a couple of good rental agencies to contact in Tepic? I saw a cost of living comparison chart that listed Tepic has having a higher cost of living than LaPaz. I'm thinking that surely couldn't be accurate.

Thank you for your help. My husband and I are considering options for retiring in Mexico and are looking at LaPaz as well as Tepic - very different from each other! He's making a fact-finding trip about mid-month so we're gathering all the advance info possible. We've travelled a lot in Mexico, but have never visited Tepic.
Thanks!!

jerezano

Feb 3, 2009, 8:05 AM

Post #15 of 17 (17044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [headin.south] Tepic

Hello headin.south

I'm here in Tepic on vacation living in the house of a friend for $2,500 pesos a month. Completely furnished. 3 bedroom one bath. In Xalisco a suburb of Tepic.

She will not rent to strangers. Nor can I recommend to her that she rent to you when I leave on March 1.

Nevertheless I see in the daily papers advertisements to rent furnished apartments and houses that range from $2,500 pesos up to around $5,000 pesos.

I would suggest that you come here, check into a comfortable but economical hotel and while here read the for rent advertisements in the local papers.

A clean, comfortable and economical hotel would be the Sierra Álica right downtown on the main plaza. With parking. No air conditioning but with fan. Cash will receive a slight discount over credit card. Long term stay will receive a large discount. Lots of casas de cambio on Av. Mexico so do not change money at hotels which have terrible exchange rates. Across the street is a very good restaurant in the 4 star Hotel Fray Junipero Sera? at more or less reasonable rates.

I will ask a good friend who lives here in Tepic if he would be interested in helping you. He has been helpful to other travelers, but as he is retired on a tight budget you should, if he helps you, think of some kind of compensation. He used to own, write and publish the Mexican newsletter AIM and has lived in Mexico for some 30+ years of which the last 15 or so have been here in Tepic.

Cost of living here is not high. Even though we have all the amenities of a large city including Sams, WalMart, Soriana, Ley, and several 5 star hotels. Superb medical services. A couple of Universities, etc.

jerezano

chapala

Feb 19, 2009, 7:16 AM

Post #16 of 17 (16956 views)

Shortcut

Thanks everyone for the information on Tepic. I have been there to stay overnight and explore only one time, have driven past many times. It's an area that sounds intriguing for relocation away from the overly congested Lake Chapala region, and one that I've been thinking about for nearly a year. Nice to get first-hand information!

colibri1

Apr 12, 2009, 6:54 AM

Post #17 of 17 (16029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [headin.south] Tepic

Another good choice for hotel is the La Loma. Can't remember the street, but it's only a few blocks SW of the main square, across from a very large park with huge trees and walking paths. The hotel has a nice restaurant and absolutely magical gardens!!!
C1

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4