Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 10:26 AM

Post #51 of 65 (5010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
You mean I have to leave one behind?

robrt8

Dec 8, 2008, 10:51 AM

Post #52 of 65 (5003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

deslizador is mistranslated. They mean three surfboards right?

It sure is an interesting list. I get to travel with my own linens duty-free?

bournemouth

Dec 8, 2008, 11:39 AM

Post #53 of 65 (4994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

The translation I have for deslizador is hang glider.

Rolly

Dec 8, 2008, 12:00 PM

Post #54 of 65 (4992 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Where did you find that? My dictionaries say hang glider = alas delta.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Dec 8, 2008, 1:18 PM

Post #55 of 65 (4978 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Sr. Google - don't tell me that Sr. Google could be wrong????

Rolly

Dec 8, 2008, 1:53 PM

Post #56 of 65 (4976 views)

Shortcut

Nery, my English student, says it translates as slider. Other sources say that also. I am still mystified because none of that makes sense in the context of the aduana post.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Dec 8, 2008, 2:44 PM

Post #57 of 65 (4971 views)

Shortcut

Rolly - I've looked again and come up with another definition which I think is the one the aduaneros are thinking of - jet ski - it makes sense.

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 2:47 PM

Post #58 of 65 (4970 views)

Shortcut

I guess to be safe, don't bring three of anything.

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 3:01 PM

Post #59 of 65 (4968 views)

Shortcut

Deslizar: v. Poner algo en un sitio: deslizar una carta en su bolso. Another shows: to slip, slide or glide. The most logical would be a Jet Ski.

Rolly

Dec 8, 2008, 3:12 PM

Post #60 of 65 (4962 views)

Shortcut

I've also come to that conclusion. It seems to be the only thing that fits. On the other hand, this is México, so ¿quién sabe? Smile

Rolly Pirate

robrt8

Dec 8, 2008, 3:18 PM

Post #61 of 65 (4960 views)

Shortcut

How can you add a sail onto a jet-ski? The reason I figured surfboards because one can also windsurf. Otherwise it could be a boogie board or a snow board. Perhaps they're trying to lump a few things together as a category, since one person can't reasonably need three of any one.

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 3:24 PM

Post #62 of 65 (4958 views)

Shortcut

Looking at the list, it says: "tres deslizadores con o sin vela y sus accesorios,". In that context, "with or without sails", would indicate sailboats.
I cheated and looked at the English version of the page and it says: "Three speedboats, with or without sails". So thats where the "speedboats" came from but it's logical that they are refering to Jet Skis. Anyone know the proper Spanish word for Jet Ski? I have only heard them called "Los yet skis or los Seadoos"

Rolly

Dec 8, 2008, 5:18 PM

Post #63 of 65 (4943 views)

Shortcut

In the 2007 version of this aduana page translates it as "a wind surf with or without sail." I recall several years ago that the word used was surfboards -- only two were allowed then.

A well-versed Spanish speaking surfer says he would translate deslizadores as surfboard. He also notes that the word takes on various meanings depending upon context.

Rolly Pirate

RogerTX

Dec 8, 2008, 7:37 PM

Post #64 of 65 (4928 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Rolly! I'm in Matehaula now but I'll know to bring the guitar AND the bass next time ;-)

By the way, thanks to Bournemouth and the others for the tip on crossing at Columbia. WAY bettter than Laredo. It was low stress, very few people, and everyone was friendly. FYI, I asked one of the soldiers there and he said the crossing is open from 8am until midnight. Also, the customs guy was pretty relaxed and friendly. He did a pretty light revision of what I was bringing and asked specifically if I had a firearm... (I'm guessing lots of Texans try to bring one without knowing?). Despite having already read up on the subject, I asked him if he could clarify the gun laws in Mexico. He went over the rules for hunters bringing in permitted weapons and then simply said 'arma es carcel' (gun=jail). Pretty much summed it up.

Feeling wiped out at the moment... drove straight through from Austin where I visited with friends yesterday. Took about 12 hours with no lunch. Would have been less but I got lost in Monterrey and it took me almost 2 hours to get myself out of the city and back on the highway headed south. Funny how a simple road trip in Mexico can make us appreciate just how exceptional our highways are in the USA.

Despite getting lost, it's been a fun trip so far. Now I just need to eat something besides Cheetos!

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 10:06 PM

Post #65 of 65 (4913 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RogerTX] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Regarding bringing guns into Mexico, I had a friend from California who was a fanatic hunter. For a couple of years he smuggled his shotgun into Mexico in his motorhome then spent the winter hunting doves. We could not convince him how stupid this was but finaly his wife saw the disastrous potential and refused to go to Mexico unless he did it legally. The process, as his wife later explained it to me, he first had to obtain a hunting licence, which would specify what firearms were allowed and how much amunition. He then had to go to the Ejercita base in Nogales, Sonora, (sin las armas) and present la list of the guns and their serial numbers. They then gave him a permit allowing him to bring the guns in, for inspection, directly to the ejercita base, where they would check the serial numbers and issue him a permit to go with the hunting licence.
When he crossed the border, he showewd the permit for the two shotguns and amunition to the customs agent. He was travelling with a motorhome, towing a boat.. with his wife following behind in a pick up. They checked the guns out OK then asked to see the ammunition. That's when things started to go off the rails. They dicovered that he had three times the ammunition than what the permit ststed. At that point they started a thorough search of everything. Lo and behold, they find a rifle behind the seat in the pick up. He claimed he had been deer hunting a few weeks previously and had just forgotten about it. (He told me once he had 74 guns and I guess it would be easy to misslay one).In any case, they siezed averything, motorhome, boat, motor and pick up and hussled him off to the Nogales carcel, where he spent a misserable five months before managing to buy his way out.
So, if you routinely carry guns or ammunition in your vehicle stateside, make sure you double check that you haven't left one somewhere in your vehicle before crossing the border. On the US side of the border at Nogales, there are even signs reminding you of this.
And if other people drive your vehicle, make sure a roach or something stronger hasn't fallen under your seat.
ASll his applies to crossing into Canada also. Our jails here may be a lot more comfortable than Mexican ones but they are still not a place you want to spend time in.

Al
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4