Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JohnnyBoy

Dec 5, 2008, 1:51 PM

Post #1 of 26 (8990 views)

Shortcut

Kidney Beans

Can't Post | Private Reply
You know...the ones in cans! Can they be found for sale in Mexico, in cans or otherwise?

I did a search here on MC and read a rant by someone about Texas chili. I for one have had about enough of one particular Texan and do not want to incur the wrath of any others, but I still want to make some Mormon chili, kidney beans, tomatoes and all.

But, alas, I can't find the beans.

Or is there some other, reasonable substitute?

Thanks,

jb

Anonimo

Dec 6, 2008, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 26 (8951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Kidney Beans

I just use dried pinto beans or other dark brown beans. They're not hard to pick over, wash and cook.

Some of the cocineras de aquí use a pressure cooker for the beans. We don't have one, and some folks say that they aren't as rico as when cooked in a cazuela de barro.
I think you won't find all that much difference when you cook them in whatever pot you have, especially as part of a pot of chili.

The canned beans I've tried in Mexico have been tasty but have a lot of broth and less beans.

esperanza

Dec 6, 2008, 2:48 PM

Post #3 of 26 (8930 views)

Shortcut

Rather than waste the freshly cooked peruanos that I prepare for daily use, I always used canned frijoles bayos for making chili. Other than the color, you won't notice the difference between bayos and kidney beans. I can't remember the brand name at the moment, but you'll find them in any good-size supermarket.

Old fashioned chili like my mother made (long-cooked ground beef, tomatoes, sweet green peppers, onions, and beans--probably exactly what you call 'Mormon' chili) sounds like a really good idea. I think I'll go buy the ingredients on Monday and make enough to freeze several bags. Thanks for mentioning it!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Dec 6, 2008, 3:18 PM

Post #4 of 26 (8921 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Kidney Beans

Sweet green peppers? ¿Qué es?

Rolly Pirate

JohnnyBoy

Dec 6, 2008, 3:32 PM

Post #5 of 26 (8918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Kidney Beans

I suspect Esperanza is speaking of green bell peppers. I think I have heard some people call them sweet green peppers before, but usually just green bell peppers. Sweet, I assume, because they are not picante.

I do see them in the stores here, along with their more colorful red and orange brothers and sisters that are much more expensive than the green ones.

My mother did use bell peppers in her Mormon chile recipe. And so will I.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and commens.

jb

esperanza

Dec 6, 2008, 4:02 PM

Post #6 of 26 (8914 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Sweet green peppers? ¿Qué es?

John's right--green bell peppers. Sometimes I forget words in English. *sigh*

By the way, instead of using chili powder in my chili, I use chile serrano, comino en polvo, and a variety of other seasonings which approximate the flavors of the chili of my youth.

bournemouth

Dec 6, 2008, 5:44 PM

Post #7 of 26 (8909 views)

Shortcut

La Costeña Esperanza? I find their things pretty good and they have frijoles bayos in their lineup of beans in cans.

esperanza

Dec 6, 2008, 8:29 PM

Post #8 of 26 (8897 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Kidney Beans

Thanks, bournemouth--that's it. They work really well in chili, if your chili is the kind that includes beans.

tashby

Dec 6, 2008, 9:26 PM

Post #9 of 26 (8893 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza is so BUSTED:

"I always used canned frijoles bayo...."

So do we! And I've been thinking about chili lately....what with these "freezing" cold temps here in the Lake Chapala region.

So, can I? Can I really make chili with beans from a can? I know I can, I know I can,,,,

<PUN OVERLOAD?>

Yay. Chili!

Camille

Dec 6, 2008, 10:40 PM

Post #10 of 26 (8886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Kidney Beans

My dear Grandma Nini made what I consider the Chili Of The Gods, which of course means "the way I tasted it first" and it involved many steps. It was also a real rarity because Nini raised chickens, but when we had a piece of beef that could be run through a meat grinder, a divine chili would result. The recipe is one of the few she didn't write down for me, but I do remember it took an entire day to prepare, probably because she let her granddaughters help! and that she served her chili, beans, and rice separately, so everyone could choose his own proportions....
I always take chili to a friend's Superbowl party, but one of these years it's going to be a white chili with chicken, roasted poblanos, fresh-roasted comino, and peruano beans.....
And brown rice with grilled onions.
Feliz Navidad, y'all.

Judy in Ags

Dec 7, 2008, 3:39 PM

Post #11 of 26 (8861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Kidney Beans

I took the regular chili that I always made "back in the old country" to a Christmas Eve party the first year we were here (five years ago) and the folks that were there are still talking about it. (They loved it.) It seems so strange that Mexicans don't make U.S. style chili when it contains so many things they use regularly. Of course I use a spice combination made in Kansas City, which my daughter, who lives in the Seattle area still uses whenever she can get her hands on it.

As to the beans, I don't think any other beans can really substitute for kidney beans as they have a different consistency and "cascara." That doesn't bother me, however, as they aren't my favorite. I've always used two or three different types of beans in my chili.

JohnnyBoy

Dec 12, 2008, 10:28 AM

Post #12 of 26 (8799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Kidney Beans

Me, too, I wondered why American style chile is not known and eaten here, especially since we here in Sonora are so close to the USA. I think some people call this style of chile "Tex-Mex" and perhaps over on the border with Texas it is known and appreciated.

I started this thread hoping to find out if kidney beans were available in Mexico. I have looked in virtually every store I have been in, here, that sells food. No beans that look like that. Just black beans, pinto beans, and peruano beans. So I am just going to have to try it with one of those, and/or any other types of beans I come across in the meantime.

I did buy several cans of kidney beans while NoB. And I made my chile, except it became Jack-Mormon chile, because I did slice up and include one medium sized jalapeno pepper. And boy, that one pepper put a lot of kick in six quarts of chile.

My Mexican partner just went ape over the chile. He took a large, plastic bowl of it to work with him the next day, shared it with several people there, and now I am being asked to make more...much more. They call it: chile beans. So, I am going to have to try some of these locally available beans. I hope it will be as good.

P.S. For any of you who do not already know and who care to know, a Jack-Mormon is a Mormon who does not obey the church's doctrine pertaining to abstenance from alcohol, coffee, tea, and tobacco. Because I spiced up my mother's Mormon chile recipe with a jalapeno, I thought it appropriate to refer to it as Jack-Mormon chile. I hope someone out the appreciates the humor.

esperanza

Dec 12, 2008, 11:50 AM

Post #13 of 26 (8794 views)

Shortcut

So when are you going to post your Mother's recipe? Inquiring minds want to know...

JohnnyBoy

Dec 13, 2008, 9:51 AM

Post #14 of 26 (8774 views)

Shortcut

The little quickie recipe you did earlier in this thread is almost exactly what I do:

"Old fashioned chili like my mother made (long-cooked ground beef, tomatoes, sweet green peppers, onions, and beans--probably exactly what you call 'Mormon' chili) sounds like a really good idea. I think I'll go buy the ingredients on Monday and make enough to freeze several bags. Thanks for mentioning it!"

I used two large cans of kidney beans, a little over a kilo of hamburger (90%/10%), a white onion, chopped up, a couple of large cans of Rotel tomatoes with anaheim chiles in them (the mild version), two or three 12 oz cans of V8 juice, a tablespoon of prepared crushed garlic, one green bell pepper (but the one I bought had quite a bit of red and yellow color in it, so it added a little color to he mix), a packet of chile spices, Lawry or some such brand.

I fried the onions and peppers in a bit of olive oil until the onions were sort of translucent. Then the hamburger until there was no more red or pink in it. Then I just added the tomatoes and beans (I drain and rinse off all the juice), a can of V8 (I eventually added two more cans of V8 juice because I like a little liquid in the chile, not too pasty), the seasoning. I cooked the hamburger with a little bit of garlic salt and coarse black pepper.

I did the vegetables and hamburger in a deep frying pan, then moved it to a 6 qt. crock pot, added the rest of the ingredients, then sliced up one medium sized jalapeno pepper into it. It cooked the rest of the day on high, probably six hours of so. I turned it off at night and just left it covered on the kitchen counter. Next day I turned the pot on low and let it warm and cook slowly all day. In time for dinner it was ready.

I make bread in my machine and load it up with butter and eat the chile with warm, buttered bread.

We thought the chile tasted even better the next day, after refrigeration and re-heating. And then it was gone (except for quart or so in a gallon bag that I squirrelled away in the freezer.)

I plan to make some more soon, using canned bayo beans and experimenting with my own spices, as I will not be able to find the packaged chile seasoning here. Next time I go to Tucson, though, I plan to buy a bunch of them and a couple of cases of kidney beans.

I hope I did not forget anything. I need to get organized and write this recipe down. My daughter in Kansas makes the same recipe but substitutes venison for the hamburger. They get nice white tail deer there that have fed on milo and sorghum and wheat. It tasted good to me and I am pretty skiddish about eating wild stuff.

esperanza

Dec 13, 2008, 10:20 AM

Post #15 of 26 (8771 views)

Shortcut

Yep, that's it, all right. I suspect that recipe was published in the 1940s or 1950s and everybody's mother started making it. Judy's recipe is the same one; she's from New York, I'm from Illinois, and you're from--well, I don't know.

I have tweaked the recipe a bit, since we like it muy picante.

1 kilo ground beef
1 kilo ground pork
2 large white onions, diced about 1/2"
2 or 3 chiles serrano, minced very fine--or more, depending on your heat tolerance
3 or 4 large cloves garlic, minced very fine
1 green bell pepper, diced about 1/2"
1 red bell pepper, diced about 1/2"
1 kilo ripe tomatoes, diced
2 1-liter boxes purée de jitomate, or more if needed
2 or 3 large cans frijoles bayo, drained
2 or 3 bay leaves
as much crushed red pepper as you like
2 Tbsp knorrsuiza de tomate
comino molido to taste
a little pinch of canela molida
water if needed

Method: just what you said. Sauté the onions, chiles, bell peppers till soft. Brown and crumble the meats. Put it all in a big stock pot and add the rest of the stuff. Cook over a low flame for hours.

I never did get the ingredients the other day, but right after Christmas it will be chili-making time. I always make enough for one meal now and four or five more meals in the freezer.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 13, 2008, 2:13 PM)

tashby

Dec 13, 2008, 2:06 PM

Post #16 of 26 (8756 views)

Shortcut

V-8 Juice. That's interesting. I like a soupy chili too, and usually just add canned tomato soup to the big mess to achieve the same effect. Might have to try V-8 next time.

We make it almost exactly the same way as described by both of you. I also do half ground beef and half something else, like Esperanza. But the something else is usually just a cheap beef cut like Round Steak, cut up into small bites.

It's a good thing I'm not hungry right now or I'd be hungry right now.

sioux4noff

Dec 14, 2008, 12:27 PM

Post #17 of 26 (8729 views)

Shortcut

I'm far, far from being a gourmet cook. I use V8 in chili, also in tortilla soup and any other item with a tomato sauce that needs thinning down withut losing flavor.

Rolly

Dec 14, 2008, 12:30 PM

Post #18 of 26 (8728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Kidney Beans

Me too. I love V8. I use it in soups, and it's my bedtime snack. I'm addicted to to the stuff.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Dec 14, 2008, 3:13 PM

Post #19 of 26 (8708 views)

Shortcut

Perhaps we should start a new thread for V8 juice.

We drink it with a shot of vodka and a generous splash of lime juice (from the tree in our front yard). Tequila works just as well. Or mix with cold beer for a tasty summer drink.

Carron

Dec 14, 2008, 3:21 PM

Post #20 of 26 (8706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Kidney Beans

La Costena is one of the best brands around for all sorts of products. I used their products back years ago when we still lived in Houston and could buy them in any grocery store. My big self-treat now is a bottle of La Costena catsup. Very expensive. Maybe $1.30 for a very small bottle. Delicious.

Herdez is also good for lots of canned products.

smokesilver

Dec 14, 2008, 3:31 PM

Post #21 of 26 (8704 views)

Shortcut

Chili using Tabasco Bloody Mary Mix is out of this world. If you can't find that jalapeno chilies are a must. They are a must anyway really.

Anonimo

Dec 15, 2008, 7:37 AM

Post #22 of 26 (8662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Kidney Beans

A Mexican restaurant that we used to patronize in Little Rock, Taquería Karina; made their caldo de mariscos with V-8 as a base. It was o.k., but it's better here.

tashby

Dec 22, 2008, 9:19 PM

Post #23 of 26 (8601 views)

Shortcut

No Kidney Beans in our "Mormon Chili" tonight....but....

The weather turned cold.....we made a variation of the above recipes after marketing a few stores and finding some coherent combination of ingredients.....even got a decent fire (sort of) going in the fireplace...

And it was good!

Judy in Ags

Dec 23, 2008, 8:19 AM

Post #24 of 26 (8578 views)

Shortcut

Do you buy the bay leaves here? What are they called in Spanish?

Rolly

Dec 23, 2008, 8:29 AM

Post #25 of 26 (8576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Kidney Beans

Bay leaf = laurel. Yes, you can buy here.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4