Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

RogerTX

Dec 5, 2008, 2:05 PM

Post #1 of 20 (8076 views)

Shortcut

Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been researching Mexico insurance and have found a few things that were worth mentioning. Through Costco.com, inexpensive policies can be purchased through Qualitas and Mapfre Tepeyac. However, neither policy offers vandalism coverage. For me this is a concern. To double check, I called the broker in California and they clarified that if my trucks' wheels were to be stolen, it wouldn't be covered. That's a potential $3000 loss after paying for a 'full coverage' policy.

On the other hand, through a company called Blake P. Sanborn Insurance, although more expensive, a policy called ACE Platinum Coverage can be purchased for $372 for 6 months of coverage (for a vehicle worth 14k). This policy includes full coverage, plus uninsured motorist and vandalism. I'm probably going to purchase this policy today.

If anyone has anything to add, I'm sure it would be appreciated by all. I know insurance has been mentioned here in the forum quite a bit but I didn't really find anything that pertained specifically to a policy where vandalism was covered.

bournemouth

Dec 5, 2008, 2:18 PM

Post #2 of 20 (8071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RogerTX] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Mexican insurance companies do not usually cover partial theft/vandalism - it has to be a total loss of the vehicle.
Have you checked to see through which company Blake P Sanborn will be offering this coverage? I looked at their web site and found no mention of coverage for Mexico.

RogerTX

Dec 5, 2008, 2:28 PM

Post #3 of 20 (8068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Yes, the girl who quoted me told me the coverage was called ACE+ Platinum Coverage. However, she didn't state who the underwriter was.

The insurance offered through Costco is through either Qualitas Seguros or Mapfre Tepeyac. Mapfre Tepeyac is also the company that is endorsed by Allstate (or at least by my agent here in Texas).

Thoughts???

(This post was edited by RogerTX on Dec 5, 2008, 2:38 PM)

bournemouth

Dec 5, 2008, 2:51 PM

Post #4 of 20 (8063 views)

Shortcut

Ace apparently is a Mexican insurance company - I've never heard of them but then, why would I? I found this agent's web site while searching, which offers some explanations that might help you:

http://www.mexpro.com/mexpro_v3/faqcoverage.html#cv4

Poncho32

Dec 6, 2008, 6:32 AM

Post #5 of 20 (8028 views)

Shortcut

Good morning, Roger.I just checked our insurance who we broker through Vagabundos Delmar Phone number by the way is 707 374 5511 or 800 474 2252 we have a clause in our liability limit coverage covering vandalism but there is also a deductible statment inserted that states deductible is fixed at $500 for all vehicle types up to a total of $50,000.
We have carried a policy through Vagabundos Delmar and are completely satisfied with them.
One very important item that you do not want to overlook if operating and owning a vehicle in Mexico, you better have a coverage giving you legal assistance , that is a must.
Here in Mexico they have a quick way of handling cases when the two parties involved can not come to a agreement on who is at fault, they just through you in jail and believe me you do not want to go there, if this ever happens you better have a contact on the outside that has money and can get you assistance other wise you may rot there.
For all the years that we have owned and operated either a car licensed in Mexico or with Washington State we have had zero vandalism ,thats not to state that it will not happen.
We have found by and large Mexicans are very honest,and will not openly steal.
I did get some humor of your statement to me that your father drove a BMW in Costa Reca, years ago a friend of mine went on a drinking binge starting in a bar in Lakewood Washington with the Costa Rican bar tender driving all the way to Costa Reca, one night after crossing over the Costa Rican border they both woke up while sleeping in the car which by the way was a very nice Cadillac Eldorado ,by the car shaking all over the place they both jumped out thinking it was an earth quake and low and behold it was 5 or 6 Costa Ricans trying to remove the tires.
Have a great day, Bud

RogerTX

Dec 6, 2008, 10:44 AM

Post #6 of 20 (8006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Hi Bud, Thanks for the info. I tried to call Vagabundos Delmar but it's a Monday-Friday operation. I'll check online and see if they have a way to buy insurance on the web since I plan to leave tomorrow. However, I appreciate your comments about the honesty of people there and even in talking with my ex-wife's cousin who is from el D.F., he mentioned if they're going to steal something, it will be the entire vehicle. Regardless, I think I'm willing to pay the extra $50 to Lewis & Lewis or Mexpro (thanks for the link Bournemouth) for the piece of mind.

Loved the story about someone else's dad taking off from WA to Costa Rica... sounds like it must have been a great time (minus the wheels being jacked!). Only thing is... don't think it was me who told you about it (haven't seen my dad since I was 5). Still a great story though! Who knows... maybe I'll get SOB and decide to keep driving. Could be fun, no?

Will continue to research and get the best policy I can find. Originally planned to leave today but got behind on a few things so tomorrow morning I'm headed south.

Thanks again to all!

TlxcalaClaudia

Dec 6, 2008, 3:56 PM

Post #7 of 20 (7976 views)

Shortcut

as a note...be sure the insurer will cover a car from NOB. Not all Mexican car insurance companies will and I was ready to sign on for some monthly premiums with a company all too happy to take my money. Then I had the idea to ask to see something in writing that specifically covers a NOB car...that was when they backed out and said they couldn't really cover me. You can find insurers there of course, just be sure to inquire about coverage for your type of car.

Good luck.
Claudine

Poncho32

Dec 6, 2008, 4:14 PM

Post #8 of 20 (7972 views)

Shortcut

Have a great trip, Mexico is a great place to explore.
By the way when they jumped out of the car the Costa Ricans took off, they evidently thought the car was empty.
Also I agree with the party that stated if a Mexican steals he'll take the whole car.
I haven't heard much of late on car thefts, at one time years ago the the Jeeps were popular but also once again it was the drug traffic, that liked them,who knows what they are after today?
The news is alive with the mass of killings along the border in the struggle for control among the drug traffickers,
so if your leaving tomorrow remember the hot spots that everyone on this forum have stated to avoid.
Bud

RogerTX

Dec 6, 2008, 5:54 PM

Post #9 of 20 (7957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Well, I decided to go with Qualitas Seguros through Costco (here in the USA) despite no partial theft coverage. After doing quite a bit of research, ACE really didn't have much being said about it and the other company that offers vandalism coverage, GNP, has a lot of negative publicity out there with respect to customer service and satisfaction.

Oh, and on another note, I went to pick up a prescription at CVS today and was disappointed to learn that the same prescription I picked up for $6 a few months ago now costs $21. Why? Because I let my $200/month, $5000 deductible insurance expire. So just the fact that my insurance expired makes it okay for CVS to charge more than 3 times as much as I would have paid with a valid insurance card. Gotta love the healthcare industry here in the USA!

Time to pack... you guys have been great!

RogerTX

Dec 6, 2008, 5:57 PM

Post #10 of 20 (7955 views)

Shortcut

Hopefully Tacomas are low on their list! I plan to drive straight through to Monterrey from Austin on Monday morning. From there, it should only be a few hours to San Miguel. Really not planning to explore Durango, Chihuahua or any of the other drug war regions. Wish me luck and I'll be in touch...

robrt8

Dec 6, 2008, 6:50 PM

Post #11 of 20 (7949 views)

Shortcut

Durango and Chihuahua are definitely worth a visit IMO. Maybe another time, Roger.

Poncho32

Dec 6, 2008, 6:54 PM

Post #12 of 20 (7948 views)

Shortcut

You should have no problem,enjoy.
Bud

Moisheh

Dec 11, 2008, 6:15 AM

Post #13 of 20 (7885 views)

Shortcut

Mexican tourist insurance is always a hot topic. Some of the companies that underwrite these policies do not have much more than a few million in assets. Buyer beware. We have always used Lewis and Lewis. The prices are co mpetitive and they deal directly with Qualitas. Most of the sellers are just buying the coverage from an outfit in AZ that is a middle man. Any one of us can become an agent for that AZ outfit complete with a web site . Almost a pyramid scheme. Vagabunos would never be my first choice. They get that insurance form Ada-vis. The underwriter is some strange company that sounds like a credit union. I bought one of their policies as they were the only company that would provide high dollar coverage.
Bud Crest:
Your statement about all Mexicans being honest sounds like naivety. That may have been true 20 years ago but petty theft and vandalism are rampant through out Mexico. That was then and this is now. If I were to leave my gates open at night everything in the yard would be gone the next day. Mexicans have this strange concept that if your items are not secured they are ripe for the picking. Many also think that it is OK to steal from a Gringo becuase they are all rich. I love this country but it is not Nirvana.

Moisheh

Poncho32

Dec 11, 2008, 6:26 AM

Post #14 of 20 (7882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Vagabunos would never be my first choice. They get that insurance form Ada-vis. The underwriter is some strange company that sounds like a credit union. I bought one of their policies as they were the only company that would provide high dollar coverage.
Would you mind sharing where you get this information from?

thriftqueen

Dec 11, 2008, 9:40 AM

Post #15 of 20 (7859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

Mexican insurance companies do not usually cover partial theft/vandalism - it has to be a total loss of the vehicle.

I'm sure Roger has selected the insurance company and is long gone to Mexico by now. However I would like to chime in about the above statement for the benefit of other posters who may be looking for insurance. I am in agreement with most companies not covering vandalism, even in the USA the deductible is high for such coverage. If I were shopping and was verbally told that their insurance covered vandalism I'd sure want to see that in writing before I laid my money down for their policy. A clerk on the phone can make a statement that may not agree with what the policy states.

I just got out our mud, water soaked policy to see how it reads, it doesn't refer to vandalism coverage period. The reason I suspect it doesn't is because vandalism can happen in a heartbeat especially if one leaves a vehicle unattended in questionable areas.

Now for our experience as I mentioned on another posting our 2007 Chrysler, Town and Country van was in the flash flood in Alamos, Sonora. Our insurance company ANA Seguros (sold by San Xavier Mexico Ins. in Nogales, AZ) totaled our van. We received a payoff check (in USD drawn on a CA bank) that was right in the ballpark with the Kelley Blue Book current valuation. We will certainly buy insurance from that company again.

(This post was edited by thriftqueen on Dec 11, 2008, 9:42 AM)

Moisheh

Dec 11, 2008, 1:30 PM

Post #16 of 20 (7842 views)

Shortcut

Bud Crest: When i was seeking info on the various policies I asked all the companies for the name of the underwriter. The name and the service provided by the seller or agent is worthless when you have an accident. There is a information on one of the insurance seller's website about some of these companies and it includes a Moody's rating. There are insurance companies with very little assets to back the policies. It is my understanding that the tourist policy industry is unregulated. It certainly is unregulated as far as the USA and Canada are concerned. You are buying something that has no validity NOB. I asked Vagabundos the name of the underwriter. They referred me to Adavis. The name I was given was Sociedad something or other. I since found out it is Seguros el potosi. I cannot find much about them other than a 2007 financial statement. My Spanish is not good enough to read a Mexican financial. I did notice that they only have 40,000 auto policies ( including non tourist) and I saw something about dreivatives. That is enough to make me scared!! Ada vis claims to have a Mexican office to adjust in case of an accident. But unlike the big boys they do not have adjusters in every state. Qualitas ( Lewis and Lewis) is the largest auto insurance company in Mexico.

Moisheh

bpurswell

Dec 20, 2008, 12:54 PM

Post #17 of 20 (7766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

I have been reading many comments that have referred to Lewis & Lewis, usually stating they are either good or the largest in Mexico, which they may be. My experience was this: I had a one-car accident earlier this year in Ajijic & was happy when the adjuster promptly came by a day afterward. He was friendly & took my written statement of how the accident happened. That was the last time we heard from him. For 3 more months we tried to contact him (at the agency for L&L in Guadalajara. My calls (which were many) were always transferred to as many as 7 people (who said they knew nothing) & when they finally transferred me to the agent I needed, he was either "out" and they said they would have him call (he never once called back). They low-balled the price & refused to pay the money the body shop needed to properly repair my car. When I finally got my less-than-adequate check, they had misspelled my name & had to send it "back to Mexico City" to have it re-issued. Prior to that they, when I asked if they would please call to let me know when the check was ready to pick up, they said "no, you have to just keep calling us to find out." Lewis & Lewis states you are NOT to contact them with any problems, but only deal through their local underwriter (or whatever they call it). There is more to the story, but all of it nightmarish. I will most definitely CANCEL my policy with Lewis & Lewis when renewal time comes.

Poncho32

Dec 20, 2008, 1:59 PM

Post #18 of 20 (7755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bpurswell] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

I have been very busy since we arrived here in P.V. but fully intend on investigating Moisheh's comments above.
Bud

sioux4noff

Dec 20, 2008, 2:15 PM

Post #19 of 20 (7749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bpurswell] Mexico Insurance and Vandalism coverage

On the other hand, here in the Puerto Vallarta area we have had great service with the Lewis & Lewis insurnce, actually Qualitas.
The first time, we were hit by a bus. The adjuster was on the scene within 20 minutes, we were told to stay and wait for him, and the bus had to stay and wait as well. The bus company paid for the damage to our car (believe it or not!) and our VIP coverage through L&L paid for a rental while the car was in the shop. We paid and submiited the bill, they paid quickly.
The second time, the rear window of our Ford Escape was broken. The adjuster came out within an hour or so, and referred us to the glass shop. They ordered the window and installed it. Our total amount we paid for that was less than what our policy said our deductible for glass damage was.
Both times, excellent service. Adjusters and service must vary greatly by location.

Moisheh

Dec 20, 2008, 8:22 PM

Post #20 of 20 (7718 views)

Shortcut

Bud: I did some investigating. The Insurance Company is El Potosi. They are ranked 11 of 18 who underwrote tourist policies in 2007. They sold $600,000 worth of insurance. Neither I nor any Gringo or Mexican that I know has ever heard of them. Apparently they are rated by A.M. Best. Ada Vis claims to have a USA based adjuster. I dont know how much good that would do when you have an accident. I guess that in order to know whether this Company is any good we need to hear from people who have had a claim. So often you see recomendations based on the ease of buying a policy. I am sorry I did not take notes when I first spoke to them. The name they gave me was very strange. Lewis and Lewis has one of the highest liability limits of most insurers. They looked after me on my claims in a timely fashion. I went with Vagabundos as they are the only ones who will insure high end motorhomes. Or at least they were only agency with that coverage that I could find. Some of the sleazy on line sellers show the high values but when you go to buy your policy it is N.A. or just liability. I have noticed in the last few years that there have been a lot of RV's involved in accidents in Mexico. I wonder whether the actuaries will take this into account when setting rates over the next few years. As I stated before the industry is really unregulated. It is hard to trust any of them!

Moisheh

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4