Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sioux4noff

Nov 24, 2008, 3:11 PM

Post #26 of 65 (15490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RogerTX] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply

Also, there was someone on here who mentioned that even if you do end up paying a few mordidas, it still doesn't add up to what ONE ticket in the states would cost. Couldn't agree more with this way of looking at things.

Don't do it!!
Just say no (to mordidas). As long as people keep giving them, they will be expected. Ask for the ticket, it WILL be cheaper than the mordida, and legal to boot. More often than not, you will not get a ticket if the officer was seeking a mordida. And if you did really do something wrong, just take the d#$% ticket and pay it.

azheat

Nov 24, 2008, 8:32 PM

Post #27 of 65 (15473 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I have my USA policy with Allstate and they just quoted me $472 for full coverage on my truck for 31 days with a Mexican insurance company called Mapfre Tepeyac

Good grief! We got our Mexican insurance through Costco for ONE YEAR
for this amount. It includes $38,000 in collision coverage, $200,000
liability, $100 deductible on a 2008 vehicle.

We set it up over the phone, easy.

In the states we have National Interstate, which also covers us for
loss on our vehicle while in Mexico.

Cheers,
Tina

esperanza

Nov 26, 2008, 7:06 AM

Post #28 of 65 (15439 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
While I'm thinking about it, any advice in terms of which insurance company to use? I have my USA policy with Allstate and they just quoted me $472 for full coverage on my truck for 31 days with a Mexican insurance company called Mapfre Tepeyac. My 6 month policy for 2 vehicles isn't much more than that and this is for 31 days? CRAZY!

Thanks again!!!!

Buy a yearly policy even if you won't use most of it. It will probably cost less than that insane 31-day quote. If you Google "Mexico car insurance" you'll get a long list of companies to choose from. Lewis and Lewis is excellent, as another poster mentioned.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

thriftqueen

Nov 27, 2008, 1:09 PM

Post #29 of 65 (15393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

I too, would like to recommend San Xavier Mexican Insurance (Bob Acosta's agency). A word of advice, you can purchase a year's worth of insurance much cheaper than by the day or month. Ask for both types of quotes.

Now for our personal experience with ANA Mexican Insurance that is sold by Acosta's agency - Our 2007 Chrysler, Town and Country van was recently totaled because of the flash flood we endured in Alamos, Sonora. Yes, the policy covered fire and natural disasters with a $500.00 USD deductible. Our initial call to the company in Mexico City was answered by an English speaking Mexican. She was polite and efficient and our claim was handled with expediency. We are now awaiting the payoff check, which was promised to be delivered by DHL within the coming week. It will be paid in USD as the policy was purchased in the USA.

(This post was edited by thriftqueen on Nov 27, 2008, 1:11 PM)

Poncho32

Nov 29, 2008, 5:47 AM

Post #30 of 65 (15341 views)

Shortcut

We have been driving all over Mexico for 39 years and quite familiar with the wide variety of road conditions here in this country .
To steal a quote from Rolly,You look too gringo judging from your pic. Add USA plates and you are toast."

I don't agree with that at all. I am very obviously a gringo and drive a pickup with California plates. I have never had any significant problem on the road and none at all for the past several years, as I said in a previous post.

I too drive with Washington plates.
For what its worth here is my advice.
Buy a Toyota, Ford, G.M, Dodge or Voltswagon you can have service work done just about anywhere on all the latter other than Toyota, I mention Toyota because that is what we own and believe in( thank heaven Vallarta just opened a dealership here).
Next I would buy an SUV .
Why, because quite often in driving you will need a vehicle that has good clearance for ruff terrain.
Last, one that has good weight distribution and good suspension plus power to enable you to get through heavy traffic and road conditions and don't forget to buy good rubber for the road.
Bud

RogerTX

Nov 29, 2008, 9:41 AM

Post #31 of 65 (15313 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

I don't think it was Rolly who said that but regardless, I like the way you think Bud! In fact, I'm going to look at old, high-mileage Pathfinders today. I love my Toyota Tacoma but something tells me I'm better off spending 2 or 3k on an older Pathfinder to drive on the cobblestone/rugged streets of Mexico. I know the highways are outstanding in many parts of the country but the pueblitos and cities... well, I've seen what they're like. Also, a beatup Pathfinder seems like it would be lower profile, not too flashy and still reliable to drive throughout the country. As for the BMW, I think the city streets there would tear it up pretty fast and if it breaks down, it will cost a small fortune to fix.

Thoughts???

Rolly

Nov 29, 2008, 10:15 AM

Post #32 of 65 (15309 views)

Shortcut

It was Rolly who said "I don't agree....." in response to the line "...you're toast" which was said by someone else.

Rolly Pirate

Poncho32

Nov 29, 2008, 10:20 AM

Post #33 of 65 (15306 views)

Shortcut

I am a retired residential developer who has bought and had to maintain a lot of machinery for a lot of years.
I have a 2003 BMW 745 LI at home I would love to have down here when we go to see Jennifer Rose in Morelia .
When we are cruising our way around this beautiful country on some of the great Auto pestas they have and doing 85 mph and have the BMW'S & Mercedes passing us like we are at a stop sign I miss the BMW.
That said I would not want to drive it down from our home in Washington and back again each year we would be beat to death, especially in towns like Vallarta with the cobol stone streets.
Bud

robrt8

Nov 30, 2008, 6:44 PM

Post #34 of 65 (15258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

I'd like to see Jenn in a 2003 BMW 745 LI.

esperanza

Dec 2, 2008, 3:27 PM

Post #35 of 65 (15203 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't think it was Rolly who said that but regardless, I like the way you think Bud! In fact, I'm going to look at old, high-mileage Pathfinders today. I love my Toyota Tacoma but something tells me I'm better off spending 2 or 3k on an older Pathfinder to drive on the cobblestone/rugged streets of Mexico. I know the highways are outstanding in many parts of the country but the pueblitos and cities... well, I've seen what they're like. Also, a beatup Pathfinder seems like it would be lower profile, not too flashy and still reliable to drive throughout the country. As for the BMW, I think the city streets there would tear it up pretty fast and if it breaks down, it will cost a small fortune to fix.

Thoughts???

The key to bringing any vehicle into Mexico is the availability of parts once you're here. Be sure that beatup Pathfinder was once sold here or you will be SOL.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

RogerTX

Dec 5, 2008, 9:30 AM

Post #36 of 65 (15156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Well, it's almost that time... planning to leave tomorrow morning with a quick stop in Austin to visit friends. I've decided to leave the BMW at home and rather than buying a Pathfinder, I'm going to drive the Tacoma down. Thank you Esperanza for the link showing the different dealerships in Mexico. I can see there are plenty of Toyota dealers throughout the country and even better, that Tacomas are sold in Mexico. Getting the permit at the Dallas Mexican Consulate was easy and took about 30 minutes. Had I known to bring photocopies of the vehicle title and my passport, it would have only taken me 15 minutes or so.

At this point, I'm wondering if I'm going to be hit with customs fees when I cross this weekend. I'm planning to bring plenty of clothing (all worn, nothing with tags), some books, and a guitar or two. My accoustic was purchased for around $900 and I still have the invoice. Should I bring it (the invoice)? I'd love to bring an electric guitar but something tells me I'd be pushing my luck. Besides, it's the accoustic that I really enjoy playing.

I'll be looking for an inexpensive apartment to rent, most likely in or around San Miguel, so if anyone hears anything, please let me know. Again, I want to thank all of you for your advice and input. You guys have really been a great help to me! Right now I can't describe how excited I am about the trip. There's some fear mixed in there due to all the horror stories but mostly, I'm excited to embark on what will hopefully be a positive, memorable journey that leads me down the path I've been yearning to travel for the last 14 years.

Thanks everyone!!!

Rolly

Dec 5, 2008, 9:51 AM

Post #37 of 65 (15153 views)

Shortcut

Clothing and other personal items are always duty free. Your guitar is also duty free. You can bring one musical instrument that can "be transported by one person." That seems to rule out pianos, harps, and maybe timpani. A second musical instrument might be subject to a small duty.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 5, 2008, 9:53 AM)

RogerTX

Dec 5, 2008, 10:51 AM

Post #38 of 65 (15142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Thank you Rolly. As always, you're a wealth of information.

ken_in_dfw

Dec 5, 2008, 11:50 AM

Post #39 of 65 (15131 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Roger, you may already know, but there are four sources where you can check online for rentals in the San Miguel area.

Atenciˇn San Miguel has a classified ads section
Carol Schmidt's Falling in Love with San Miguel Forums has a rentals for lease classified section
Portal San Miguel also lists some homes for rent
The Civil_SMA_Renter's_Guide yahoo list

There's probably a few others, too. Of course, nothing beats shoe leather and askin' around. Hope your search goes well.

RogerTX

Dec 5, 2008, 12:20 PM

Post #40 of 65 (15127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Thanks Ken! I wasn't aware of any of these links.

delmaracer

Dec 6, 2008, 5:36 PM

Post #41 of 65 (15090 views)

Shortcut

Roger, this past June and July, I stayed in San Miguel de Allende. I was a guest in a Mexican host family which was arranged through the spanish language school I attended. You might try contacting the language schools in SMA to see if they will give you a referral. The cost for a bedroom rental and sometimes a shared bath was $23 per day, but it did include meals. While that is a bit expensive, an apartment is quite a bit less, and comes with a kitchen. Be sure to go the the botanical jarden, El Charco Del Ingenio. Don't forget to visit Delores Hidalgo. Enjoy!

Bob

RogerTX

Dec 6, 2008, 6:01 PM

Post #42 of 65 (15082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delmaracr] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Hi Bob! I'll be sure to explore all of the places you mentioned. Will also check out the language schools. Although not opposed to renting a room (this is what I did when I went to school in Mexico City), I'd certainly prefer a furnished apartment if I'm able to find one at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the tips!!!

delmaracer

Dec 6, 2008, 9:07 PM

Post #43 of 65 (15067 views)

Shortcut

Roger, I found the prices in SMA to be pretty expensive when compared to Mexico without the "gringo" influence. The closer you get to the main jardin, the higher the prices. You can hail a cab for just 20 pesos that that is for anywhere in SMA, but if you call a cab, it will be 40 - 50.
If ur interested, I can give you some locations where classmates of mine had rooms that you could possibly check out.
I took over 2,000 photos, walked about 50% of the town, visited the Charco botanical twice, went to Delores Hidalgo twice and got to take photos of the talavara factory painters, etc.
I have to say the trip was a HIGHLIGHT. You gotta take the waling tour leaving from the Proquoia (sp) the main church and signups are at the cafe on the side of the block where Banamex is located.

Bob

RogerTX

Dec 6, 2008, 9:44 PM

Post #44 of 65 (15057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delmaracr] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Thanks Bob. Actually, I was thinking that since I'm driving there, I may look for a rental just outside of town in a 'not-so-gringo' part of town. I'm even considering checking out Leon which I think is about an hour from SMA and I have a friend with family there. In fact, he was telling me that not too long ago, a friend of his was renting a house for around 4000 pesos... it had 8 rooms! Yeah, sounds like an exageration to me too but I don't have a problem living outside of town. Conserving $ is important to enjoy a few months or so down there and yes, I'll most certainly check out Charco and Dolores Hidalgo. As for the wailing tour, what is that exactly?

Camille

Dec 6, 2008, 11:00 PM

Post #45 of 65 (15047 views)

Shortcut

Roger, if there actually is a wailing tour, will you please post details? Between petitioning SEAPA or RAMPAS or whatever they are calling themselves today for water for my colonia, trying to satisfy TelCel for the establishment of a wireless internet connection, and watching my heirloom tomatoes shrivel, I could sure USE a Wailing Tour! In fact, I'd like to initiate one that would go right past the homes of the water board, the waterboarders!
AAARRRGGGHHH!
Thanks, I feel a little better now!

Rolly

Dec 7, 2008, 7:27 PM

Post #46 of 65 (15001 views)

Shortcut

Roger, there is a major change in the list of duty-free items. You can now bring two musical instruments.

Read more here: http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...jeros/139_10210.html

Rolly Pirate

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 8:43 AM

Post #47 of 65 (14974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Rolly,
I went to that site and printed out the page, in English. I would like to have one also in Spanish but I couldn't get the page to switch. Can you figure out how to swich the page to espag˝ol.
I personaly have never had a problem with Mexican customs but know people who have and having a copy of this in Spanish would be handy if a difference of opinion came up on what is and isn't allowed.
Al

bournemouth

Dec 8, 2008, 8:56 AM

Post #48 of 65 (14970 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Try here - copy and paste:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/...jeros/139_10074.html

It comes from the section "Programa Paisano"

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 8, 2008, 9:20 AM)

Flaekingur

Dec 8, 2008, 9:25 AM

Post #49 of 65 (14958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Muchas gracias.

robrt8

Dec 8, 2008, 9:30 AM

Post #50 of 65 (14958 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Don't try to cross with "three speedboats".
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4