Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Carron

Nov 27, 2008, 6:57 AM

Post #1 of 10 (6446 views)

Shortcut

What's for Thanksgiving Dinner on Your Mexican Table?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I probably won't get many follow-up posts because most of you are too busy in the kitchen to be on your computer.

One of our favorite foods here is huge skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts from our local Gutierrez supermercado. I will poach two gently in canned broth with some sliced onions and garlic cloves for about half an hour. These will also slice up cold for wonderful left-over sandwiches on Bimbo whole-grain bread "linaza", which incidentally lasts for days on our counter without getting stale.

Canned green beans, sweet potatoes, and a store brand stove-top stuffing from the US complete the meal. Some orange marmalade I canned last year from oranges grown on our ranch in lieu of cranberry sauce.

Later we will have fresh fruits with a chile-lime-salt sprinkle for dessert. Then a long siesta before we turn in for the night. (My husband was a only child in several generations of older adults. He says when he was little he couldn't understand why they always went to bed right after dinner instead of going out to play. Now he understands!)

bournemouth

Nov 27, 2008, 7:24 AM

Post #2 of 10 (6444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] What's for Thanksgiving Dinner on Your Mexican Table?

Carron - nothing to do with today's menu, but isn't that Bimbo Multigrano con Linaza bread good? I'm constantly surprised that a mass produced bread can be that good.

Bethie

Nov 27, 2008, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 10 (6442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] What's for Thanksgiving Dinner on Your Mexican Table?

I am looking forward to some turkey on flour tortillas with beans, onions, avacado, and cilantro--YUM-YUM

Rolly

Nov 27, 2008, 8:25 AM

Post #4 of 10 (6438 views)

Shortcut

I plan to have lunch at my favorite Chinese buffet. Lots of fish, sesame chicken, shrimp, stir-fried veggies and pasta. All I can eat for $80 pesos.

A big tamal bash is coming on Saturday.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Nov 27, 2008, 9:31 AM

Post #5 of 10 (6433 views)

Shortcut

Menu today:

Appetizers
Green olives, grape tomatoes, and hearts of palm in vinaigrette
Mixed nuts
Champagne

Dinner
Roast turkey
Cranberry-orange-pecan dressing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy by the gallon
Candied sweet potatoes
Fresh green beans with sweet red peppers
Whole-berry cranberry sauce

Desserts (brought by our guests)

Back to the kitchen...and a very happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate the day. I'm grateful for each and every one who posts here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 27, 2008, 9:32 AM)

thriftqueen

Nov 27, 2008, 1:23 PM

Post #6 of 10 (6415 views)

Shortcut

I have food allergies so can't eat wheat BUT, my hubby loves Bimbo's Linaza bread. We were just talking about when it first came out we paid 14 p per loaf, now it is 20 p per loaf. Now that's inflation! My daughter remarked, that's still cheaper than the good whole grain breads in the US. When we are stateside he longs for that bread. LOL, one can buy the ole white gun wadding Bimbo in the US.

Rolly

Nov 27, 2008, 2:02 PM

Post #7 of 10 (6411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] What's for Thanksgiving Dinner on Your Mexican Table?

Linaza bread is ideal for PB&J. I think I'll go make one right now.

Rolly Pirate

Carron

Nov 27, 2008, 8:03 PM

Post #8 of 10 (6386 views)

Shortcut

Bimbo multi-grano linaza is one of the reasons we continue to live in Mexico. Ja-ja-ja! No bread we have ever had in the US can compare. It literally lasts forever and still tastes wonderful. Never seems to get stale. Makes great toast spread with butter and fried.

Carron

Nov 27, 2008, 8:15 PM

Post #9 of 10 (6384 views)

Shortcut

Well, this was the menu I had planned. Typical of living in Mexico, (and as long as I have lived here I should have known not to expect anything less) my butane bottle ran out in the early stages of cooking! So I was thankful that my husband is still in good enough physical shape to haul our empty 45-kilo bottle out to the gas
place for a refill. Cut dinner short except for the chicken breasts and dressing. Did have bolillos and sweet butter.

A couple of bloody Mary's helped the wait until dinner was ready. We were thankful for what we had.

N2Futur

Nov 28, 2008, 8:23 AM

Post #10 of 10 (6365 views)

Shortcut

This is what we had at our house here in Melaque yesterday:

Turkey with dressing
mashed potatoes
gravy
green beans
German style red cabbage
sweet and sour cucumber salad
Black Forest Cherry cake

our friends and neighbors brought these:

mexican style rice with chicken
mole sauce
salsa Mexicana
yellow squash with corn
tortillas
sweet meats (prunes/nut mixture)
pumpkin pie
fruit salad

and great music provided by our neighbor Angel Orozco, a wonderful guitar player.

Elke

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4