Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Rolly

Nov 27, 2008, 12:01 PM

Post #1 of 3 (7330 views)

Shortcut

"The Innkeeper" -- a new book about the old Hotel La Posada in Manzanillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
The Hotel La Posada is vintage old Manzanillo. Now long-time owner Bart Varelmann has written a book about his life and times in the hotel -- The Innkeeper.

There is a nice review of the book here: http://www.gomanzanillo.com/innkeeper/indexbart.htm

To which I will add my own little story:

I have a friend in Manzanillo whose grandfather was the owner of the hotel long before Bart arrived. She tells the story of how her grandfather got into a dispute with the cook. Grandfather got so carried away that he shot and killed the cook. He then fled to his room on the second floor where he barricade himself. The local constabulary was unable to dislodge him, so they enlisted the aid of the navy who happened to have a ship in port. The ship lobbed a couple of shells at the hotel; whereupon Grandfather decided the game was up so he shot himself. Or at least, that's the story the family tells.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 27, 2008, 12:05 PM)

tashby

Nov 27, 2008, 2:43 PM

Post #2 of 3 (7317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] "The Innkeeper" -- a new book about the old Hotel La Posada in Manzanillo

"The Hotel La Posada is vintage old Manzanillo."

And it's still a swell place to stay! Thanks to a recommendation from bournemouth on this forum, we stayed there a few nights last June. And they accepted our dog. Nice owners and employees. Good breakfast, too.

And hotels don't come any pinker. 8-)

I love staying in places like that. You could just tell the place had a soul and kept a thousand stories.

Thanks for the link, Rolly.

sylvia-con-y

Dec 7, 2008, 7:34 PM

Post #3 of 3 (7247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] "The Innkeeper" -- a new book about the old Hotel La Posada in Manzanillo

I stayed at La Posada last Christmas-I loved it!!
Sylvia Con Y

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4