Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Carron

Nov 17, 2008, 4:33 PM

Post #1 of 11 (7578 views)

Shortcut

Big Brother in Our New Printer

Can't Post | Private Reply
For many years my husband has had an little on-line hobby/business buying and selling silver coins and collectible paper money. Most of them are no longer in circulation. In order to show potential buyers his products, he scans the bills on our printer/scanner/copier, then crops as required before posting them for sale on various auction sites.

Our old printer finally cratered and we bought a new Lexmark last week. To his horror, the first time he tried scanning some bills to list for sale on eBay, our printer advised that as a foil to unlawful reproduction of legal tender, (counterfeiting) he would not be allowed to scan such items. What was the most disconcerting was the fact our printer was aware of exactly what was being scanned. Like having a governmental agency right here in our living room.

After firing off a letter of complaint to the manufacturer, he did calm down enough to figure out a work-around, but we are really concerned at just how big and intrusive our government has become. One reason we like living in Mexico. We are pretty much left alone and we are comfortable with that.

johanson / Moderator

Nov 17, 2008, 6:08 PM

Post #2 of 11 (7561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] Big Brother in Our New Printer

That's scary, Carron. Thanks for the information.

esperanza

Nov 18, 2008, 1:37 PM

Post #3 of 11 (7537 views)

Shortcut

Wow, I'm shocked. This is crazy.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Carron

Nov 21, 2008, 10:46 AM

Post #4 of 11 (7492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Big Brother in Our New Printer

We were shocked also. We bought the printer in the US (HOME OF THE FREE AND THE BRAVE). Our current Republican administration advocates minimal government intervention in entrepreneurial affairs to stimulate small business, with which I totally agree. Something is lost here between theory and practice.

My husband's complaint is that he has basically been tried, found guilty, and convicted of counterfeiting without a trial by jury. (He feels very strongly about these basic rights.) A printer has sentenced him in absentia and without legal representation.

His e-mail to Lexmark was answered by an overly polite customer service reply which sounded as though it were written by a foreigner with a really bad translation program. Basically it told him he/she was "heartbrokenly sorry for his complaint" and could he please send another e-mail with details of the problem. Once was enough, He didn't bother to re-send his original complaint. Obviously no one on the other end understood his problem.

Carron

Nov 22, 2008, 5:31 AM

Post #5 of 11 (7468 views)

Shortcut

Finally got an answer from Lexmark. It seems we purchased the most up-to-date model and they advised that now "all new digital and/or electronic devices include this advanced feature". They further advised that if we want to photocopy any Mexican currency, we first need to contact an official in Mexico City and obtain written permission to do so!! They even gave us the name and the address of the person we should write to.

I don't think so!!!!

My son has a printer about 3 years old. We are simply going to change out our brand new one for his older model and we should be good to go.

N2Futur

Nov 22, 2008, 8:05 AM

Post #6 of 11 (7460 views)

Shortcut

Actually, this is nothing new. I used to work for XEROX Business Services, managing print ops and reprographics. New color copiers/printers (large volume print shop units) that came out in early 2000's had software that recognized drivers licenses and currency and would refuse to copy/print. We did find a way around it, no big deal..... relax - Big Brother will not come after you.

Elke

Carron

Nov 22, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #7 of 11 (7443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Big Brother in Our New Printer

Problem is-----Big Brother has not only come after us; he is already here.

LintonRobinson

Nov 25, 2008, 1:37 PM

Post #8 of 11 (7407 views)

Shortcut

Could be worse. You could have got an XP, which actually puts spyware in their printers and interfaces.

The idea that somebody could make passable money from a printer scan is pretty hilarious, by the way.

Rolly

Nov 25, 2008, 1:54 PM

Post #9 of 11 (7405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LintonRobinson] Big Brother in Our New Printer

XP? What is that?

Rolly Pirate

LintonRobinson

Nov 26, 2008, 8:54 AM

Post #10 of 11 (7374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Big Brother in Our New Printer

Oops. Read: HP

Actually I thought "evil" and "printer" in the same sentence would make that clear. :-)

Flaekingur

Dec 2, 2009, 12:03 PM

Post #11 of 11 (5614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LintonRobinson] Big Brother in Our New Printer

I ran across that also recently. I had an old scanner that i had not used for a year or so and decided to resurect it recently, as it can scan negatives and slides. After connecting it up to my computer, I wanted something with real fine detail to check the resolution.The only thing with fine print that was handy was a five dollar bill. I scanned it with no problem but when I tried to open the scanned image, (jpeg), with PHOTOSHOP, I got that same warning message.
So, if you have a legitimate reason to scan such items, hang on to your old equipment.
Al

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4