Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

RogerTX

Nov 21, 2008, 8:23 AM

Post #1 of 65 (22434 views)

Shortcut

Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just returned from a 3-week stay in Mexico and discovered a couple of things; A) I'm still in love with Mexico City and am planning to get an apartment in or near the Coyoacan area for a couple of months and B) I found myself very frustrated having to deal with taxis and busses and REALLY wanted to feel more independent with my own vehicle.

That being said, I'm about to travel back to Mexico but this time, I want to drive and bring some extra clothing and a couple guitars with me. My question is... I have a 1998 BMW 3-series with 182k miles. It's in great shape and has been meticulously maintained. Of course, with that mileage, there's no telling what part may fail next (just replaced the radiator last month) so I'm running the risk of needing a repair while SOB. I'm told these are particularly expensive to care for in Mexico.

The other vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with 45k miles. I'm still making payments and frankly, I'd prefer to sell it and get another truck when I come back to Texas. The BMW is paid for.

Of course the third option is sell both vehicles and buy something that's more common in Mexico such as a Nissan (I'm particularly fond of SUVs and pickups). I'm familiar with getting the vehicle permitted and am in the process of researching Mexico insurance companies.

Of course, one of the thoughts that keeps crossing my mind is that I risk losing less by driving the BMW since it's paid for and to be honest, it's only worth about $5k or so here in the states.

Any thoughts from those of you more experience on the subject?

As always, THANKS for your advice!!!

drmike

Nov 21, 2008, 9:23 AM

Post #2 of 65 (22422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RogerTX] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Roger,

Trust me on this one, you do not want to drive any vehicle that "stands out", esp. with gringo plates! We have been stopped 8 or 10 times by various police agents (for no reason other than the vehicle type and the Az. plates, that we can't get rid of), our vehicle has been vandalized, and gasoline stolen from our tank.

I'd sell the two cars and buy a "Mexican" looking car, ie. Nissan Tsuru, Atos, or even a Volkswagen Beetle which have Mexican plates on it. Believe me driving a "target" car will not be worth it to you. It WILL put a damper on your "mexican experience".
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

JohnnyBoy

Nov 21, 2008, 9:24 AM

Post #3 of 65 (22421 views)

Shortcut

Roger,

If you have been in Mexico recently, Mexico City specifically, and know it well enough to know that you really like it there, then you must know quite a bit about road conditions, security, availability of reputable repair services, etc.

I live in a large northern Mexican city, Hermosillo, which thinks it is the Phoenix, or at least the Tucson, of Mexico. They try very hard to make it as much like a nice US city as they can. But when it comes to the roads, well, it ain't happenin'.

I drive a '97 Ford Ranger pickup with 125,000 miles, in excellent condition, because I and the previous owner have maintained it well, as you have your BMW. But it is slowly, but surely, falling apart because of the rough roads in Mexico, the highways and the city streets. Never in my life I have been driving down a city street anywhere in the USA, that was so rough that my new, high-dollar CD player would skip, but it happens all the time in Mexico.

I am glad I decided to sell the new Toyota Camry I inherited when my mother passed away. I knew it was too nice to be driving around in Mexico. Now, I do see absolutely beautiful new cars in Mexico, in Hermosillo. Lincolns, Cadillacs, all sorts of nice SUVs. Lots and lots of BMWs, too. Most of them very new. So some people, ostensibly Mexicans, are OK about laying out mega-bucks for beautiful, expensive vehicles and then tearing them apart on these horrible roads. But I am not.

I think you ought to have the toughest, sturdiest thing you can get, but of a common variety, such as Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, etc. for which a dealership can be located in case it needs repairs.

I have had really abysmal luck with Mexican mechanics. They simply do not understand the concept of fixing it right nor of fixing it right the first time. I thought the Midas place here with English speaking manager and service writer was going to be an answered prayer for me. But not so. Two experiences there have been costly, expensive nightmares. Once for a simple alternator. The other time for a battery. Not complicated stuff.

I think you need a vehicle that is tough and that can be serviced and repaired by people who know what they are doing. I am not 100% convinced that dealerships always know what they are doing, but they ought to. It is more reasonable to assume they do more so than any other workshop you might randomly select.

Ultimately you will want to find someone knowledgable and dependable to work on your vehicle. I have finally found such a place, but it takes time and some networking with local people to find such a place/person. In the meantime, better have a tough, dependable vehicle, or be ready for grief.

Good Luck.

jb

esperanza

Nov 21, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #4 of 65 (22413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Here in Morelia--and in Mexico City as well--"Mexican looking" vehicles include all of the following:
  • BMW of all model years and model numbers
  • Mercedes Benz, ditto the above
  • Cooper Mini (sold by BMW here)
  • Audi TT
  • Corvette
  • Hummer
  • Suburban
  • Smart
  • Ford Lobo pickup
  • Lincoln Navigator
and any number of other high-end, high-profile vehicles. Yes, some Mexicans drive lower end cars like those mentioned by DrMike, but many others drive high-end, late-model, shiny-bright cars and trucks.

I drive a 2005 Atos, but my partner and I also drive a 2008 Cooper Mini. I prefer the Atos for its economy and ease of maneuverability. She prefers the Mini for the quality of the vehicle and the solid THUNK of its doors when she closes them. We've never been accosted by the authorities in either vehicle.

For a look at the immense variety of vehicles sold in Mexico, go to http://www.amdajal.com.mx. Click on any of the logos to see what's available at dealerships. Many vehicles are listed at sticker price.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TlxcalaClaudia

Nov 21, 2008, 1:43 PM

Post #5 of 65 (22390 views)

Shortcut

My opinion:
Take a car in but plate the sucker with Mex plates. We did that with two vehicles and sold them before coming back (hubby is a Mex, so not sure this is an option for everyone?). So NOT worth the hassle of keeping your plates and bringing that car back. BUy an old one, plate it Mexican (yes costly) sell it there, come back with extra money. If that isn't an option....just buy one there. You look too gringo judging from your pic. Add USA plates and you are toast.

Oh, I agree with another poster above...roads will tear your pretty car up. Trucks are better. Speaking from experience...my sweet malibu looked AWFUL by the time I sold it (and it still went above price). I didn't care what happened to the truck, so we drove it more...and sold it above prices in USA too.

I won't take my car that I'm still paying on cause if it gets stolen or in a wreck...my insurance will not cover it (leaving me to keep making payments on it). I prolly could get extra insurance so it would be covered...haven't looked into it...but I question why do that when I can buy an old used one and have fewer risks of being stopped (though I am a cop magnet it seems.)

Claudine

(This post was edited by TlxcalaClaudia on Nov 21, 2008, 4:16 PM)

Rolly

Nov 21, 2008, 2:17 PM

Post #6 of 65 (22380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

"You look too gringo judging from your pic. Add USA plates and you are toast."

I don't agree with that at all. I am very obviously a gringo and drive a pickup with California plates. I have never had any significant problem on the road and none at all for the past several years, as I said in a previous post.

I don't think being a foreigner with foreign plates is worth worrying about. I can't promise you'll never attract the attention of a crooked cop, but it won't be common.

Rolly Pirate

Oscar2

Nov 21, 2008, 2:20 PM

Post #7 of 65 (22378 views)

Shortcut

In so many ways, Dr. Mike heeds a very familiar warning not from what he’s heard but what he has personally been exposed too, ad nauseum. I too, and many others have reluctantly been inducted into this club and paid their share of the dues called (mordidas).

Its not uncommon, in fact its like a reluctant acceptance of a way of life down south. Its uniformed purveyors cash in on it, as they do all over the world, as perks or side-job benefits government jobs lack thereof.

Cutting down on payouts and more important, the delay’s, hassles and more of it all, one can minimize the odds by doing as in Rome….if you are so inclined. It’s been reported that due to the gas and economic crunch NoB, less Gringo’s are making the trek down south. Naturally, it would follow that the scarcity of the road warriors “license plate candy” isn’t there to appease the sweet tooth as often, sooooo, whatever treads the highways now is fair game for the Mordida patrol.

My personal experience talks to me and says, bring your favorite, supper sano car down here from NoB but just be prepared with the mentoring of some experienced MC members and keep 200 pesos (20 dollars) in your breast pocket to grease the palm of the uniformed when cued to do so and move on. Now if this happens 5 times in a year, which hopefully it won’t, consider yourself out 100 bucks. This can be equivalent to a “very small” ticket NoB, plus affect your driving record and the hassle of court if necessary. “Forget it,” I’m not Sr. Lancelot, nor do I wish to be, for a measly 20 bucks.

However, that said, I just don’t like, in fact I hate being pulled over unnecessarily and hassled by anyone when I’m minding my own business and just enjoying the day on the road because my license plate waves an invitational flag to all purveyors of the mordida.

There’s thousand upon thousands who will literally turn somersaults, back flips and more just to possibly find a secluded south sea island or anything like it, somewhere, anywhere on this planet for that special place where a little peace of mind can be found. It makes you wonder how some will give up so much materially, to ease into a little piece of Nirvana that may be out there.

I’ll take and old car, with Mexico plates and reduce the odds, so I can travel anywhere, at any time I want. I’ve personally experienced this in a rented Tsuru for over a month (day and night) and never once was stopped while traveling through 9 cities in Mexico. We loooooved and enjoyed it!!!

Hey, this by no means implies that this is what you should do, but if you elect to bring your BMW down which is only worth 5K, try it. Based on its value, you don’t have that much to lose (excluding sentimental value) and see how it works for you. You can always make another trek NoB and arrange something different for the next time you come back.

Buenas Suerte

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Nov 21, 2008, 3:27 PM)

azheat

Nov 21, 2008, 3:42 PM

Post #8 of 65 (22365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

This topic is one I've asked about before because we will be driving
a bright yellow 2008 4-door Jeep Rubicon with a winch and extra
lights on the front.

My husband is worried about it, and we've already installed a hood
lock, a gas cap lock, and today, a high-tech alarm system.

But our other rig is a Freightliner M2 Sportchassis, so it's the Jeep
or nothing.

We were planning to drive to San Miguel. Are we likely to be
stopped multiple times along the way because of the Jeep?

Rolly

Nov 21, 2008, 3:57 PM

Post #9 of 65 (22362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [azheat] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

"Are we likely to be stopped multiple times along the way because of the Jeep?"

No. Mordita problems on the highway are not common. It is the local traffic cops in the cities that sometimes want you to "buy me a coke."

These discussions often leave folks with the feeling that the problem is more common than it actually is.

I have tried to give a common sense view of the issue here: http://rollybrook.com/safety.htm Look under the heading "Police Misconduct."

Rolly Pirate

sioux4noff

Nov 21, 2008, 5:34 PM

Post #10 of 65 (22346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Rolly, we drive a 2008 Ford Escape, kiwi green color (a color not sold in Mexico), and an aqua colored 1997 Dodge Dakota pickup, both with Texas plates. There is no question looking at either my husband or I whether or no we are gringos. We have not been hassled at all by the police. We do get a fair number of people who want to buy our pickup!

azheat

Nov 21, 2008, 8:40 PM

Post #11 of 65 (22324 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Oh good! Thanks for giving us one less
thing to worry about as we prepare for departure!

:-)

robrt8

Nov 21, 2008, 8:55 PM

Post #12 of 65 (22321 views)

Shortcut

AZ,
Stop the worrying and concentrate on your driving. Do you know the flagman signals?

Best car for traveling Mexico: Car that won't break down, with horsepower and super brakes. Forget the old Beamer and get a Mexican-plated car with guts. Even the Tsuru is better than an old BMW that's due for a series of trouble.
I love the Dodge Atos, but if you plan to travel...that's a city car.

(This post was edited by robrt8 on Nov 22, 2008, 7:53 AM)

azheat

Nov 21, 2008, 8:58 PM

Post #13 of 65 (22319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robrt8] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

No, I don't know the flagman signals.

Care to share?

And do you drive that little red car in your avatar to Mexico? ;-)

Actually, I'm a really good driver. I haul a 38' fifth wheel
behind the Freightliner, and at times double tow the Jeep
behind that, about 85' of razzlin' dazzlin' rig on the road.

So I'm pretty sure we'll survive Mexico one way or another.

Cheers,
Tina

(This post was edited by azheat on Nov 21, 2008, 9:00 PM)

Camille

Nov 21, 2008, 9:29 PM

Post #14 of 65 (22311 views)

Shortcut

You GO, Tina! I'm betting a lady who can maneuver 85' of anything automotive can take whatever Mexico can dish out! Buen Viaje!

drmike

Nov 22, 2008, 7:22 AM

Post #15 of 65 (22289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

As with any other question asked on MexConnect you will receive multiple answers based on everyone's experience and belief system. I'm sure which state or city you are driving in makes a significant difference. We have been pulled over (and sometimes hassled) in the states of Mexico, Puebla, Veracruz and Tabasco. Twice by Federales (Mexico and Veracruz) and 6 or 8 other times by Estado police (sometimes in the pitch of night with no one around).

We are always stopped by the military checkpoints and are asked to pull over to the inspection trench.This does not bother us as the soldiers are always friendly and professionals and doing their assigned jobs. We also inevitably are stopped at the aduana road stops and the vehicle is again searched. This, too does not bother us. What I do object to are the policia stops in addition to these other ones. Where the police try to use a possible lack of understanding of Mexican law by the gringo, or twist it around to confuse the driver so they can "fine" us for some crap. I've paid mordidas twice...I will not do so again. If the officer and I cannot work it out on the spot, I will state emphatically, "Donde esta efje, ahora"!

Those I consider harassments and potentially dangerous situations. I can only attribute it to our large sized vehicle and Arizona plates. Many of the cartel members drive Suburbans, Mercedes, Audis, Hummers, Escalades, Avalanches, and other large, high priced vehicles. If you look at the photos of cartel killings shown on Mexican news those are usually the vehicles they are murdered in. I don't recall ever seeing a photo of suspected cartel members being killed in a Tsuru, Volkswagen beetle or Atos. Perhaps they have been, but I've never seen it.

My point was simply to say don't place yourself in a situation which will cause you to stick out from the others, while attracting the attention of "undesirables". These are my experiences. They are not opinions. Others have different experiences from mine and they, too are valid.

I only suggest that you err on the side of caution. But of course you are free to decide however you so choose. But, choose wisely.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

(This post was edited by drmike on Nov 24, 2008, 7:33 AM)

azheat

Nov 22, 2008, 7:26 AM

Post #16 of 65 (22286 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Thanks Camille! And Dr. Mike I can understand your
apprehension, based on your personal experiences.

We're going to try and be smart about how we travel.

Departure end of this week. I shall report back!

Tina

Flaekingur

Nov 22, 2008, 12:09 PM

Post #17 of 65 (22254 views)

Shortcut

In twelve years of wintering in México, from Sonora to Guadalajara to Los Cabos, Have never paid a mordida and only been hassled once. That occasion was when traveling with friends in their Motor Home. Passing through Culiacan, we approached a fork in the road and needed to take the right one. We were already in the right lane (of three southbound lanes), but were forced to move left into the center lane by construction just before the turn. Imediately after passing the closed area, we went back into the right lane and turned right. We were immediately pulled over by the police who told my friend that you can only turn right there from the right lane. My friend who is a Salvadoreño, explained that it was impossible to use the right lane as it was torn up by a repair crew and that there was no sign forbidding such a turn. The officer insisted that the driver come out and discuss the infraction, (away from the rest of us witnesses). My friend refused adamantly, insisting that we all drive immediately to the police station and talk to the Jefe. After about 15 minutes of heated arguing in spanish, we were sent on our way with a warning to not do it again. In this case it would seem that they were waiting at this spot for a likely target and the motor home with Arizona plates seemed like a sure thing. They were more than a bit surprised to find the driver to be a very large and stubborn latino.
On my own I have had nothing but good experiences with mexican officials, be they customs inspectors, police or federales. Following the rules and keeping a sense of humor avoids a lot of hassles. This is a different country, with a different culture, enoy it for what it is.
A few of our encounters; At the Mexican customs in Nogales, we were pulled over for inspection and the officer, looked through our van, then asked to look in our trailer. As I unlocked the trailer door, he asked aprehensively, (probably from previously had a dog come lunging out of a trailer at him), "You got any pets?" I replied that the only pet I had was my wife. He bust out laughing, went over to the van and said to my wife "you know what your husband just said?" He then explained the joke in spanish to the other officers which brought more laughter. A couple of years later at the same crossing, we happened to draw the same guy and his remark of "I see you still got your same pet." Broke us up all over again.
On another occasion, at a federal checkpoint where we were usually waved through, a machine-gun toting Federale came up to my window chewing on some sort of local candy. He asked where we were coming from and going and I in turn asked him what he was eating. He replied by thrusting it in the window and offering me a bite. When I commented on how good it was, he smiled and said "you have it, buen viaje".
I think a lot of problems are caused when you have an attitude of fear and apprehension. We look foreward to the events as adventures and new experiences. I think how you are treated depends a lot on your attitude. A smile and an air of confidence will usually result in a better experience than approaching every checkstop or or policia with fear and apprehension.
Another thought regarding the "Mordida" situation, a few years ago ther was an article in the Mazatlán paper about this. It stated that any occasions involving this practice sjould be reported to the Federal Auditor General, and listed the address and phone number.
Someone on this forum once wrote abouit how releived they felt to cross the frontera back into the U.S. After several months and several thousnd kilometers in México, we look forward to crossing back north with considerable aprehension. We have encountered far more "road rage" and aggressive drivers in the southern U.S. than we ever have in México. Another sobering thought is that many of these same drivers that seem so upset with RVs on their highway have GUNS in their cars.

Flækingur

azheat

Nov 22, 2008, 3:34 PM

Post #18 of 65 (22235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

I quite agree that we may attract the very thing
we are concentrating on the most. So approaching
the journey with a friendly and open attitude is
a very good thing.

Loved the humor you have used to your very positive
advantage as well.

Peace on earth might start with a shared laugh!

Cheers,
Tina

smokesilver

Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 AM

Post #19 of 65 (22176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Flaekingur] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

The most thriving industry in the US of late has been the gun industry with hugh increases in sales as reported in many papers & on the tube. Safe driving here and good luck.

azheat

Nov 24, 2008, 1:37 PM

Post #20 of 65 (22158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Exactly! Beware road rage in the USA.

RogerTX

Nov 24, 2008, 2:02 PM

Post #21 of 65 (22153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Before any other comments, I just want to say thanks to everyone for their advice and comments. Really helpful stuff and I genuinely appreciate all of you being so forthcoming with information.

Claudia, I like the idea of plating the car with Mexican plates but I thought you had to be a Mexican citizen to do that. I have a friend who used to work at the Mexican Consulate and I thought I heard her say that. May need to clarify.

Also, there was someone on here who mentioned that even if you do end up paying a few mordidas, it still doesn't add up to what ONE ticket in the states would cost. Couldn't agree more with this way of looking at things. Not that I want the ticket but I drove a Nissan Maxima down there with Texas plates and during both trips, got pulled over at least once... one was a speed trap in Nuevo Laredo and the other was a Mexico City cop who saw the plates.

While I'm thinking about it, any advice in terms of which insurance company to use? I have my USA policy with Allstate and they just quoted me $472 for full coverage on my truck for 31 days with a Mexican insurance company called Mapfre Tepeyac. My 6 month policy for 2 vehicles isn't much more than that and this is for 31 days? CRAZY!

Finally, my thoughts right now are to drive the 2001 Tacoma down there during the preliminary stages. I feel like it's made to handle the kind of roads I'm likely to encounter in some of the towns and cities in Mexico, not to mention it only has 45k miles and Toyota has the reputation of going for miles with no problems. The BMW has 182k miles and I just don't trust it on a 3k-4k mile road trip, despite being well maintained. Of course, if I find that things are working out and I decide to stay a while, by all means I'll consider buying something in Mexico but for now, it's not worth making a longterm commitment.

If you guys think of anything else I should be aware of, I'd love to hear it. Also, any advice on insurance is certainly appreciated.

Thanks again!!!!

Rolly

Nov 24, 2008, 2:14 PM

Post #22 of 65 (22148 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
... I thought you had to be a Mexican citizen to do that. I have a friend who used to work at the Mexican Consulate and I thought I heard her say that.

That is correct -- only citizens can nationalize cars at this time.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 24, 2008, 2:15 PM)

bournemouth

Nov 24, 2008, 2:52 PM

Post #23 of 65 (22144 views)

Shortcut

There are many sources for cheaper insurance available. One I personally can recommend is Bob Acosta at San Xavier Insurance in Tucson and Nogales. We have bought insurance from him for years. You can reach him at mexicobob@aol.com. He also has a web site where you can purchase insurance and print the policy out. Email him for a quote.

sioux4noff

Nov 24, 2008, 3:01 PM

Post #24 of 65 (22143 views)

Shortcut

We use Lewis & Lewis insurance, much less than the price you quoted. Google them and ask for a quote by phone or right on-line. An annual policy can be as low as a one month policy so don't rule that out.

Oscar2

Nov 24, 2008, 3:06 PM

Post #25 of 65 (22143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Advice on best vehicle for traveling in Mexico?

Rodger, on another note about nationalizing and getting Mexican plates, there is a resident expert by the name of Travis Dyer who can possibly make this happen for you, if you so wished too.

Based on what I believe I heard, a 10-year-old vehicle or better (pending type and kind) can be brokered by the right person. This is why I’d suggest Travis as an intermediary. You can probably PM him to see if he is available.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4