Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

leegleze

Nov 7, 2008, 11:19 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2858 views)

Shortcut

2 moving boxes from Canada?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi everyone! I'm moving back to the Puerto Vallarta area, from near Vancouver, now that I've retired. Having worked all over the world, I always travel light, but would like to move some extra things in two (3' X3') boxes, in addition to the luggage I can take on my flight. Do any of you know a good company who would do this for me fairly reasonably? Would I need a menaje de casa just for a couple of boxes filled with personal belongings? Any related advice would be most gratefully received.
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

(This post was edited by leegleze on Nov 7, 2008, 11:21 AM)

jennifer rose

Nov 7, 2008, 11:24 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] 2 moving boxes from Canada?

Can't Post |
Forget the menaje de casa for two boxes. Take the boxes as excess baggage on your flight, noting first whether you're flying during a period of embargo on excess baggage and your airline's excess baggage requirements. When you pass customs at your destination, declare what you've got and be prepared to pay duty on anything in excess of your franquicia.

sioux4noff

Nov 8, 2008, 11:41 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2782 views)

Shortcut

Since you said excess baggage is not an option, why not consider getting a friend to accompany you to Puerto Vallarta, or come a little after you arrive? They could get a vacation, help you haul the stuff, and you could chip in towards their plane ticket. We have a friend who did that when she moved down.

IslaZina

Nov 9, 2008, 5:08 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] 2 moving boxes from Canada?

When I came back from Ohio this summer, I had a storage box, a plastic archive box, that I checked along with two large pullmans. US airways charged $200 for the extra poundages, and I was among the grandfathered since I bought my ticket in January.
If you choose to go this way, and/or with a friend, check with your airline about the total inches allowed for check in. Three by three may have to be broken down because, as I recall, I bought the store bin after know USAirways limits and it just barely made it.
As checked bagge, they've got to fit through the xray slide, even though they will also probably be hand check for bombs! Some flights also take freight through a separate department of their office, but you and your freight could be on the same plane.
http://islazina@blogspot.com

leegleze

Nov 9, 2008, 7:14 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [IslaZina] 2 moving boxes from Canada?

Huge thanks to all three of you for your knowledgeable answers. I should have added that I will be travelling alone with a Standard Poodle in an extra-large dog crate, so I may have to go the air cargo route or send it with a friend at a separate time. Are you saying that it's more ... um ... "dicey" to send it by land as LTL with a moving company (that I would have to have a menaje if I sent it by land?)? Would it be better to pack it in suitcases, rather than square boxes?

Whenever I see skiers coming into Canada with a half-dozen large (and oversize) bags on the carousel, I suppose they have megabucks to pay the extra baggage fees. <<<sigh>>> So I guess I must research that option thoroughly.

Also, have any of you taken photographs, under glass or in albums, with you to the Mexican coast? Does the humidity affect them if they have normally been kept in dry conditions NOB? Any suggestions as to how to preserve them? Thanks again, folks!!!
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

mskitty

Nov 9, 2008, 7:36 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2758 views)

Shortcut

I don't claim to be an expert at this by any means, but when I was in Ajijic this past summer two sisters stayed at my hotel for a few days while the found a rental. These two women had brought an amazing amount of stuff for a 3-4 month stay...including kitchen stuff like a blender. They said they wanted to be comfortable. They had come from separate cities, thus each basically traveled alone. I couldn't begin to count the number of suitcases, boxes, etc they had, between them. Tons of stuff. And, they said they had not been charged any excess baggage charges [and some airlines had already instigated fees for checked luggage at that point].

Another friend just moved to Puerto Vallarta from Canada, and had this to say about her travels: "The only problem was trying to corral 5 large suitcases, 1 carry-on tote and my
computer bag. The Alaska Air actually gave me a $25.00 savings on the excess baggage and when I arrived in Puerto Vallarta, the customs and immigration didn't charge me any duty or sales tax on what I was bring in even though
I was way above the amount of goods I was allowed to bring in."

Again -- I know nothing from direct experience, but judging from these two stories, I would personally try taking things on the plane with me - or since you have the dog, perhaps with a friend.

norma2002

Nov 26, 2008, 6:22 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2681 views)

Shortcut

I moved 52 boxes on Delta Air Cargo when I moved down here in '93 and it cost only $500. Of course, that was a long time ago and with the rise in prices, etc., it will obviously be more expensive now than it was then. But, I would strongly suggest that you check with the various airlines Air Cargo to compare prices. I tend to think that it would be much less than any other way of getting them down here.

Norma

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4