Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

gringohombre

Oct 19, 2008, 11:11 AM

Post #1 of 21 (9000 views)

Shortcut

Where to buy bestselling books?

Can't Post | Private Reply

Hola, First I would like to thank those (belatedly)who helped me with my questions about my move here in April. I have settled in here nicely, after finding a beautiful home on the lake in San Antonio Tlayacapan. I have a one year lease and am currently trying to add 4 more to it. The question for today is where to buy new books (such as political like the new Dick Morris best seller). Thanks.

Dennis

Rolly

Oct 19, 2008, 11:16 AM

Post #2 of 21 (8981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringohombre] Where to buy bestselling books?

Your best bet is probably going to be ordering online.

http://powells.com/

http://www.amazon.com/

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Powell's is my first choice.

Rolly Pirate

gringohombre

Oct 19, 2008, 11:28 AM

Post #3 of 21 (8976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Where to buy bestselling books?

Thanks for that but I am trying to avoid the exorbitant shipping costs with such as Mail Boxes, Etc. Recently I was sent a book as a free gift for subscribing to a magazine. Mail Boxes wanted $14 so I told them to forget it!

Dennis

Rolly

Oct 19, 2008, 12:34 PM

Post #4 of 21 (8963 views)

Shortcut

All of the book stores ship directly. There is a charge, but not nearly as high as Mail Boxes.

Rolly Pirate

Linda in Morelia

Oct 19, 2008, 5:15 PM

Post #5 of 21 (8947 views)

Shortcut

Another option for obtaining US best sellers in Mexico is to purchase Amazon's Kindle and then order electronic versions of the book. The Kindle reader looks and feels like a book and there are no shipping costs.

Linda

Jerry@Ajijic

Oct 19, 2008, 8:33 PM

Post #6 of 21 (8928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Where to buy bestselling books?

Rolly, do you mean through the Mexican P.O.?

Rolly

Oct 19, 2008, 9:06 PM

Post #7 of 21 (8925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Where to buy bestselling books?

Yes, US post office to the Mexican post office. It's a bit slow. My orders usually take about 3 weeks. I have never had a lost or otherwise messed up order. I have placed many orders over the past 8 years.

Books coming from the USA are duty free. Amazon sometimes ships from Germany, and those orders sometimes are accessed a duty.

Rolly Pirate

mskitty

Oct 27, 2008, 9:58 AM

Post #8 of 21 (8845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim and Linda] Where to buy bestselling books?

Have you [or anyone] actually tried the Kindle? I'm thinking about it, but would like to know more first.

Linda in Morelia

Oct 27, 2008, 10:44 AM

Post #9 of 21 (8840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mskitty] Where to buy bestselling books?

Yes, I've done all my reading for the last 6 months on my Kindle. I am primarily reading a lot of the older classics, which you can get free, because they no longer have copyright protection. I also order books from Amazon's Kindle store. The Kindle reader itself is very easy to use and read. It is the shape of a 5 x 8 inch book and the screen is easy to read. I think there are some threads on this topic; you may want to search for them.

Linda

taltman711

Oct 27, 2008, 10:52 AM

Post #10 of 21 (8836 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Have you [or anyone] actually tried the Kindle? I'm thinking about it, but would like to know more first.

Read this thread from a few months ago. There is also a reference to the first Kindle thread in one of my posts.
http://mexconnected.com/...tring=kindle;#119970

Tim

jsandrock

Oct 28, 2008, 7:27 AM

Post #11 of 21 (8794 views)

Shortcut

Greetings all -- if you do look at that old series of posts you'll see that at that point it was I who had all kinds of questions about it -- just to follow up, I did indeed buy one for my husband for his birthday. I had it sent to my parents' house in the States and I picked it up there and brought it back here with me. The news is that he loves it and indeed we've had no trouble downloading books onto it the "Mexican" way, via the USB cable when we're here.

But we were both just back in the States for a couple of weeks and he went nuts picking out stuff and downloading books via the whispernet service while we were there. Thirty seconds later, you have your book!

They're supposed to be coming out with a new version of the Kindle soon and I'm thinking about getting one for myself.
On the plane coming back, we sat next to a gal who had HER Kindle with her for "inflight" reading, propped up on the little tray. She said she had 100 books on hers! Much easier to tote a ten-ounce thing than 100 books on a plane!

EXCELLENT toy!!!!

mskitty

Oct 28, 2008, 7:31 AM

Post #12 of 21 (8790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jsandrock] Where to buy bestselling books?

Hi -- thanks for your response, but it sounds as if you meant to post it to the board, instead of a PM to me.

But -- I do have one question -- have you found any issue with eyestrain with the screen, as opposed to a printed book? I struggle with eyestrain from computer use as it is. I think this would be a wonderful toy to have in Mexico, where I can't get books from the library, or even a bookstore.

Thanks!

margretmaker

Oct 28, 2008, 4:42 PM

Post #13 of 21 (8758 views)

Shortcut

I have been reading from a Kindle for the past three months. It is great. No glare and no moving pixals because the technology is different than what is used on a computer screen. Minimal battery useage. You need to have a US account to buy it because of copyright laws. Once you are set up with the account at Amazon you can download from anywhere you have internet access.

mskitty

Oct 28, 2008, 5:03 PM

Post #14 of 21 (8754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [margretmaker] Where to buy bestselling books?

That's great to know. I'm still in Oregon, so getting it would not be a problem.

Last Friday Oprah Winfrey featured the Kindle on her show, called it her new favorite gadget. She had the Amazon guy there and they spent the entire hour talking about it, and that's what really kindled [pardon the accidental pun]my interest. If anyone is interested, there is a $50 off coupon code from that show that is good until November 1. Another reason I'm trying to decide now. The code is OPRAHWINFREY and is entered at checkout as a coupon.

I still have a couple of days to decide. Guess I could always return it if I didn't like it.

Thanks for all the help!

Bethie

Oct 29, 2008, 9:12 AM

Post #15 of 21 (8727 views)

Shortcut

I, too am very excited about the kindle. It just makes sense to me instead of lugging all my books to mexico. I hope to purchase one real soon.

Linda in Morelia

Oct 29, 2008, 7:39 PM

Post #16 of 21 (8692 views)

Shortcut

I have not experienced any eye strain from Kindle reading in the last 6 months. I probably use it on average 30 to 60 minutes/day.

Linda

tashby

Nov 1, 2008, 3:50 PM

Post #17 of 21 (8638 views)

Shortcut

Last night at a dinner party, I met a woman who owns the new book/coffee/breakfast/lunch/art place called Gatherings in Ajijic. It's catty-corner to the LCS entry on the corner. Her name is Veronica and she's delightful. She's from Guadalajara but speaks better English than I. Anyway, she said she doesn't want to invest in a million books/heavy inventory because she doesn't know what will sell, but she will order English language books for you and they arrive in 10 days (unless they are out of print or hard to find, obviously). No duty.

I also think the bookstore in Plaza Bugambillas (?), enter on the side on Juan Alvarez, carries some English language best sellers. I haven't look that closely because I don't read those kind of books much, but it sure looked like it.

Happy reading.

Delia

Nov 2, 2008, 7:20 AM

Post #18 of 21 (8595 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Where to buy bestselling books?

I've met Veronica at Gatherings - good coffee, pastry nibbles and samosas. She has an interesting book selection but I do know that her magazines (don't know about books) come through the people who run the bookstore at Plaza Bugambillias and the original store in Chapala. I've been there several times when magazines and newspapers have been delivered - and it is the same gentleman (who's name I forget) from the other stores. So I would imagine that the usual price increase will apply to books as well - but at least they would be available here!

sandykayak

Nov 3, 2008, 11:55 AM

Post #19 of 21 (8561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim and Linda] Where to buy bestselling books?

Thanks for the info (not sure who posted it) on the Oprah coupon ...I'M GETTING A KINDLE FOR XMAS!!

Guess what? Delivery for the end of November....must have received thousands of requests!!
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

norma2002

Nov 7, 2008, 2:05 PM

Post #20 of 21 (8502 views)

Shortcut

If you have transportation, there is always Sandy's Bookstore in Guad. They always have US best sellers or, if not, they can order it for you.

Norma

norma2002

Nov 17, 2008, 11:39 AM

Post #21 of 21 (8439 views)

Shortcut

If you get into Guad, you can find new best sellers at Sandi's Bookstore on Tepayac & Las Rosas.

Norma

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4