Oct 31, 2008, 6:36 PM

Post #1 of 8 (6052 views)

Shortcut

Another article on Nayarit, this time on 100 miles of perfection

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

Look at this web page to see the future of Mexican coasts:

http://www.startribune.com/...aK7DUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Chacala at one time was my favorite beach. No longer. But that happened about ten years ago with the influx of Canadian motor homes, trailers, and campers added to the Mexican tourist campeers. The inovative Techos de Mexico program has proved so popular with tourists, me included, that it is now almost impossible to reserve space during the November to April season.

So I have had to move North. Los Cocos was a favorite for years, now it is Aticama, and it soon will be Los Cestos de los Įguilas at Santiago.

Enjoy the read.

jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Oct 31, 2008, 6:38 PM)

drfugawe

Apr 17, 2009, 12:01 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Another article on Nayarit, this time on 100 miles of perfection

jerezano,
I read with much interest your comments on the article noted above, and I'm quite familiar with all the places you mentioned with the exception of Los Cestos de los Įguilas at Santiago. Would you be so kind as to give us a little more of a clue, since I get little through my Goggle efforts.

Many thanks,
john

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

jerezano

Apr 17, 2009, 1:02 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Another article on Nayarit, this time on 100 miles of perfection

Hello John,

You asked: >>>>I read with much interest your comments on the article noted above, and I'm quite familiar with all the places you mentioned with the exception of Los Cestos de los Įguilas at Santiago. Would you be so kind as to give us a little more of a clue, since I get little through my Goggle efforts.

The answer: Probably because my terminology wasn't very good. The two beaches at Santiago de Escuintle are called Los Corchos and El Seseteo or El Cesto de los Įguilas.

Neither beach is developed. They both are more or less pristine with
lots of space for camping but no facilities at all from my recollections of a few years back. Of course that may be changed by this time, but a Mexican friend who visited Los Corchos last year (early 2008) said it was still undeveloped. In fact he wants to buy a lot in Valle Lerma because the lots are cheap and because it is only about an hour away. He is a camping enthusiast with a family of three boys the youngest of whom is just over 15.

Santiago is HOT in the summer time. It is not yet a tourist town. It is a typical Mexican small city.But I wouldn't live there. I'm told that there is a flood problem in the rainy season. Valle Lerma is a surprisingly clean and attractive small village. It too is hot in summer. I suspect it does not have a flood problem. A winter bungalow there might be worth considering. Valle Lerma cannot be reached from highway 15D (the cuota). It must be visited by taking the old Highway 15 (libre).

jerezano

tashby

Apr 17, 2009, 4:05 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5661 views)

Shortcut

I find it funny that it's always the exact same article getting written and re-written over and over again, mentioning the exact same places. As if there aren't other roads leading off of Hwy 200....

It's probably for the best.

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 17, 2009, 4:06 PM)

drfugawe

Apr 17, 2009, 5:25 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5648 views)

Shortcut

Ahh, ... and I see another issue compounding the confusion - all the maps I'm trying to use spell Santiago Escuintle, "Santiago Ixcuintla". And then I could not find Valle Lerma until I checked this map:
http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/...-mexico-map-b2.shtml My Guia Roji did not list it!

Interesting you should mention renting a bungalow in Valle Lerma, 'cause I'm currently looking for one - why do you believe such a small place would have rental bungalows?

Thank you sir - your help is appreciated.
john

H.L. Mencken
____________###

bournemouth

Apr 17, 2009, 5:45 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5643 views)

Shortcut

I think that Ixcuintla is the correct spelling - that's certainly what the signs say when driving south on 15. We stopped off once trying to find the Huichol center there, but failed.

jerezano

Apr 17, 2009, 5:53 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5642 views)

Shortcut

Hello John,

Yes Ixcuintla is the correct spelling. Nayaritans always refer to it as Santiago.

When we two speak of rental bungalows we are obviously talking about two different types of rentals.

You can find rental bungalows of the furnished with linens etc at San Blas where they rent by the day, week, month or longer. At prices I won't pay.

When I speak of rental bungalows I mean an unoccupied small house where you will probably have to buy stove, refrigerator, bed and a couple of chairs and a table as well as all the things that go with them and yes, most likely, light bulbs for the few hanging sockets that you will encounter.

Minimum furnishings will usually cost about $1000 us dollars. As time goes by you can add more items. When it comes time to move, there is always a good resale market. You won't make a profit but you will not lose a lot of skin either.

You will find vacant houses everywhere but the trouble is to find one that you can rent. Only way is to visit, spend time looking around and when you spot something you might want to rent, then ask all the neighbors if the owner might rent, or if they know someone in the area who might rent. After a thorough search you may strike it lucky. Particularly since Mexicans don't like to rent to other Mexican families with a lot of children. We gringo singles or couples of age with no children are desireable renters.

At Otates (mountains not the Otates on the beach) near Tepic I have been offered a vacant house at no rent. Just to occupy and protect the house.

jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Apr 17, 2009, 6:01 PM)

drfugawe

Apr 18, 2009, 5:30 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5596 views)

Shortcut

OK, makes sense now.

Although most "travelers" may come by plane to Mexico, I do have one leg up - we usually drive. And of course that means that if you're intrepid enough, and I am, we may truly find a gem! I have given some thought to finding a long term rental, as you describe, for the next several years - my quick math says it can be done for less than a comparable short term furnished place (my wife may have different thoughts, though!).

A nagging reality keeps me cautious though, and that is that I'm the type that after a year or two of getting to know an area well, I'm ready to try something new, ... so...!

BTW, related to your comments above, did you know that Chacala is undergoing big changes as we speak? We did not go back this year, after having spent two winters there, but we hear that a developer has secured the south end of the town (from the road to the beach) and blocked it off. I'm not up on current activity, but obviously construction will follow.

But your point is well taken by those of us who follow "pre-development". I have been thinking about Teacapan, but I may just have waited a bit too long on that one!

H.L. Mencken
____________###

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4