Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

roamer22

Oct 29, 2008, 6:21 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5923 views)

Shortcut

Towing a vehicle

Can't Post | Private Reply
In about a week we will be travelling to Mexico and could sure use a little advice.
1- which entry point is the easiest for towing a vehicle through
2- what problems can I expect
Have clear title and vehile has been safety and Emission tested and passed in my state (Massachusetts) have plates and insurance for it but on our yearly travel to Mexico we just travelled with 1 vehicle and with just our stuff but our Van is not very economical fuelwise and figured we'd bring something down that would not stangle our finances.
Thanks
Any advice would be really appreciated

jerezano

Oct 29, 2008, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roamer22] Towing a vehicle

Hello,

I can give you no advice about towing a vehicle. You will get that advice from others on this forum. But I suggest that to receive advice on your crossing point you need to tell us where you are coming from (Massachussets?) and where you are going to. For example if you are going down the Gulf Coast your obvious choice, in my opinion, would be Los Indios (Free trade bridge) just south of Harlingen, TX. To Central Mexico (Mexico City, Querétaro, etc., either McAllen-Pharr (Reynosa is restricted to automobiles and pickups only) or Laredo-Colombia. For the Pacific Coast proabably all the way to Nogales.

All crossing points in Texas (except Reynosa) with which I an familiar should be able to handle trailers.

jerezano

Moisheh

Oct 29, 2008, 11:46 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5891 views)

Shortcut

I assume you plan on leaving the car in Mexico. Do you have an FM3? Are the van and car titled in 2 different names? You can only bring one vehicle per person. You will need 2 car permits. Twoing is not a problem Thousnads of RV'rs tow vehicles in Mexico every winter.

Moisheh

roamer22

Oct 30, 2008, 7:46 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Towing a vehicle

I will be towing a Isuzu Rodeo from New Bedford Massachusetts to Chetumal Mexico. I am A Novice when it comes to towing so my expertise is limited. Both vehicles 1 a 97 Ford Econoline Van and 1 1997 Isuzu Rodeo are Plated and Titled under different Names both are insured in States and in I have Mexican insurance for both. We have traveled to Chetumal the past 3 years and have done just fine except for the first when most of the highways were under repairs and wound up sleeping at truckstops because of construction causing many delays and problems. What I need to know which entry point is more tow friendly so I won't look like a total jerk. I probably will try to find RV stos or Camping grounds to spend the nights. Am not fluent in Spanish but am able to read signs and have GPS's that will work SOB. Don't know what other information you want but just ask.
Also am travelling with my Mate and a 4 year old German Shepperd and have all the imort Papers and such for the dog.

Moisheh

Oct 30, 2008, 8:09 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5851 views)

Shortcut

Have you read your owners manual to see if the Isuzu is flat towable?? Some vehicles cannot be towed that way.

Moisheh

roamer22

Oct 30, 2008, 12:02 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Towing a vehicle

Yes my Isuzu is flat towable because I made sure the one I picked up was with a manual transmission also my owners manual does give advice on how to tow.
Thanks

travisdyer

Nov 4, 2008, 6:45 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5772 views)

Shortcut

If you are using a dolly, you'll have no problems, but if you're using a tow bar, follow this advice.

You must remove the front bumper of the Rodeo, and you'll need to bolt the receiving hitches to the frame's front cross member, which may require some drilling of holes. After this, you'll connect the tow bar to the hitches with the locking pins, and you're ready to go. FYI - If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store in your area, you can pick a tow bar up for $60.

I recommend that you buy a set of magnetic tow lights. They are very easy to connect and disconnect.

My experience has been that it is always best to remove the drive train when towing a vehicle with a manual transmission, even if it is flat towable. Your local mechanic can do this for a basic labor fee. Make sure that he checks that the bearings (baleros in Spanish) are properly greased, as this will be very important when the drive train is reinstalled.

Any Uhaul place can assist you with the labor, if necessary.

Regarding the best location to cross, I would recommend the Colombia bridge, if you're crossing at Laredo.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4