Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Oscar2

Oct 18, 2008, 11:59 AM

Post #1 of 8 (4782 views)

Shortcut

The wonderful world of Soy!

Can't Post | Private Reply
As of late, more and more I’ve been noticing that my lovely wife and dedicated nutritionist invariably surprises me with meals she knows I enjoy. After having something delicious like chorizo con huevos, she looks and me and says, did you like them, and of coarse I’d reply, “yes, they were delicious.”

Then she looks at me with a twinkle in her eye, smiles and says, that was not chorizo, it was soy! Of coarse, the reasoning is soy is more forgiving and less apt to strap on the #’s while trying to maintain or lose weight amongst other things.

Another example, which I found not only interesting, is mashed potatoes, where she substitutes them with finely ground Cauliflower and other ingredients to enhance taste. The first time I ate this I thought I was actually eating mashed potatoes which is a rare treat in our household, but surprise, surprise, it was a very good substitute but yet not quite the same. Ho Humm, and so it goes like turkey, salmon, chicken and even veggie burgers is a mindset I have to dance around in, because health conditions can at times dictate which way to go. Does this in anyway sound familiar?

One day down south, I will bask in the sun and pamper myself with comida Mexicana pura con una buen fría a mi lado… Ay dios mío! Laugh

morgaine7

Oct 18, 2008, 6:57 PM

Post #2 of 8 (4761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] The wonderful world of Soy!

Well, don't assume that being in Mexico will deliver you. I clicked on this thread because I broke the "never shop when you're hungry" rule on a day when La Paz City Club had its aisles packed with free food samples. An enthusiastic young man handed me a tortilla chip with what looked like spicy ground beef, and it tasted so good that I let him talk me into spending 37.50 pesos on a kilo of .... [drumroll] ... "OvarB Soya Estilo Ranchero".

So now this stuff is sitting in my fridge, and I'm wondering what I'm going to do with it. A kilo is a LOT of meat, even if it's not meat. I'm going to have to get creative like your esposa, Oscar2!

Kate

Oscar2

Oct 18, 2008, 8:46 PM

Post #3 of 8 (4748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] The wonderful world of Soy!

Well Kate, maybe not all is lost. Yes, it does look just like sausage style chorizo but it’s name here is Soyrizo and yes, its delicious. Only the discerning pallet would care. Its really very good with eggs, cebolla picada, bell pepper, cilantro, diced tomatoes and of coarse wheat tortillas calientitas y café con leche…..mmmmm-good! Throw in salsita of choice and Bon appetite!

On one of my habitual visits to my second home “Costco,” they have these food sampling stands such as the ones you described but Costco has them 7 days a week. On one of my visits they were giving samples of hard-shelled taco’s that I though were quite good. Yes, they also turned out to be filled with something, which looks like taco meat and packaged by the name of Soy Tacos.

On the fly, I warm it, put it into a taco shell with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and salsa and I’m good to go. I’ve also made tostadas with the normal ingredients and again, its delicious and quite filling and of coarse nothing as yet has been said about low cal/fat count.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 18, 2008, 9:13 PM)

drmike

Oct 19, 2008, 9:08 AM

Post #4 of 8 (4729 views)

Shortcut

This is an interesting post. 14 years, or so, ago I became a vegetarian and used soy (tofu, or hydrolyzed protein) as a meat substitute. I ate soy hot dogs, hamburgers (Boca burgers), tofu egg salad sandwich, tofu and vegetable casseroles etc. I thought I was eating healthier, and perhaps at that time soy was considered "healthier" than meat. After I became a naturopathic physician and taking many courses in nutrition, Chinese Medicine, physiology (biological pathways) and teaching research and nutrition...I've changed my mind. There are many dangers with consuming too much soy. It disrupts hormonal pathways, increases estrogenic like chemicals (thus resulting in the infamous "man boobs", perhaps causes difficulty in conceiving due to estrogenic chemical activities, affects thyroid function, brain chemicals and many other disruptive changes. Often people say, "the orientals eat soy daily and they don't have problems", but the truth is the orientals eat a very small portion daily...perhaps 2 tablespoons a day.

The vast majority of soy manufactured in the US are Genetically Modified. GMO food have not been tested properly as to how they affect the body. No one scientist can accurately state what the effects of GMO's are or will have on the body either short term or long term. The studies simply are not there. US FDA and other consumer laws regulating GMO's are not there. The GMO companies (Monsanto, Archer Daniels, et al) have defeated any attempt at proper testing or regulation. This the major reason the European countries have banned GMO's.

I think soy in a limited amount is probably okay for consumption, but I would caution against using too much for too long. Although, I have taught and follow the dictum of avoiding GMO foods like the plague, if possible. Sometimes we simply can't but everyone should attempt to do so as much as possible.

I am attaching a link to Mercola.com with a list of articles concerning soy, if anyone cares to delve deeper.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm

Rolly, perhaps you can activate the link, or if not cut and paste it to read.
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 19, 2008, 9:23 AM)

Oscar2

Oct 19, 2008, 11:22 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] The wonderful world of Soy!

Dr. Mike,

Your professional input is not only always welcomed but well needed amongst us MC natives. I’m attempting to provide a link to one of the articles you provided which of all things also includes a fascinating find and cure for cancer.

The in depth Soy revelations are bits of information, quite frankly, I and probably many others were not even aware of. This certainly is going to limit my tasty Soy taco intake to probably periodic use, particularly with all of which is negatively reported, like “man boobs,” and other side effects.

Gods, what is ever safe anymore. First, it’s a strike against coffee and then its not, then they vacillate between chocolate consumption, to many eggs, dairy products, over stuffed hormonal, steroid and antibiotic beef and just yesterday a piece condemning a myriad of “bottled water” companies selling contaminated water…

Sheeesh.. the list goes on.. Yes, it can get a bit exhausting especially when you feel you’ve finally found something nutritious and can work with and then it happens again, sorry Charlie, a new report says …….. and here we go again.

I eat allot of blueberry’s for obvious renown brain power benefits to the point where I’ve become very creative and now just love very thin crepes wrapped with blueberries as a once a week Sunday treat. Blueberry smoothies with a protein mix are also delicious and hopefully the antioxidants will kick in and do what they are supposed to do.

Its good having you on board Mike, its like having a more grounded perspective on a few important things, especially health which many of us take for granted. Once in awhile, as you’ve probably experienced, I relax against my better judgment and secretly say: One day down south, I will bask in the sun and pamper myself with comida Mexicana pura con una buen fría a mi lado… Ay dios mío! Laugh

drmike

Oct 20, 2008, 7:05 AM

Post #6 of 8 (4686 views)

Shortcut

Oscar,

Thanks for your input. In lectures and in classes, I always taught to eat "whole foods" that is unprocessed and organic, if possible. I wrote an article entitled, "Make your Plate Look Like a Rainbow". Eat color foods. These are high in anthrocyanidins and other flavonoids which research is showing to be anti-aging as well as great anti-oxidants. In particular the color of the foods will give hints as to which part of the body is helped. Yellow and orange foods helps the eye (vision) the retinal macula is yellowish/orange in color so this helps Macular Degeneration, blues and red food helps the heart and circulatory conditions. Also blueberries are very helpful for the eyes and MD. Green foods are very cleansing.

Color foods which are very helpful include: eggs, squash, mangos, sweet potatoes, Yams, blue potatoes ("potatos" if you are Dan Quale), blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, eggplant, black beans, etc. They are all high in the flavonoids which are health supporting. Use whole grains, sesame seeds, amaranth, barley, walnuts, almonds, etc.

Nutrition can be fun by trying different things in different combinations.

Your use of bluberries is excellent! Blueberries are a "power food". One suggestion is to freeze them first. The cell walls of blueberries are tough (and the flavonoids are within the cells) thus by freezing them you will rupture the cell walls and the healthy anthocyanidins will be released for assimilation easier.

If you enjoy the soy tacos, etc. eat them and enjoy them ocassionally. Nothing is etched in stone; just expand your choices as mentioned above and use moderation.
Dr. Mike

Hindu teaching

Oscar2

Oct 20, 2008, 11:25 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] The wonderful world of Soy!

Dr. Mike,

Liked your post. As my wife and I both read it, her smiles widened with a glimmer of pride born from her collective efforts in being as much as she could in maintaining the type of healthy diet you so skillfully outlined. Whether you know it or not, mi esposa is now your ally and my appreciation for a healthier take on day-to-day living. Gracias.

The color reference and benefits of food groups was excellent and an easy reference for those who’s inclination toward healthier living is important. As you probably already know, mi esposa is about 17 years younger than I. And aside from pumping vitamin supplements of 1500 mg of L-Carnitine and 3500 mg of L-Arginine, subdivided too twice a day, into my system, I’ve noticed an elevation in stamina and my heart condition has improved especially with moderate exercise, such as walking or use of our elliptical.

One can say that in my household, being an ol’codge and attached for about 36 years of it, has its benefits. Yes, she puts up with my dynamic personality, good looks, intrepid sense of humor and even more important is her ability to laugh when I sort-of off the cuff remind her of this…..Laugh

I’ve followed with interest your migration into Mexico and your health and lifestyle is certainly important as a person and nutritionist. The easy breakdown of colored food groups is an interesting and well-taken rule of thumb, which comes in very handy in Mexico or anywhere else on this planet. Incidentally, I hope all is well in your newly adopted home.

Hasta Luego
Oscar

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 20, 2008, 11:31 AM)

drmike

Oct 20, 2008, 2:36 PM

Post #8 of 8 (4656 views)

Shortcut

Oscar,

Listen to your esposa! Having a team makes everything so much easier. Reading about and learning healthy living styles can be not only fun but....healthful!

Thanks for your warm welcome.

Mike
Dr. Mike

Hindu teaching

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4