Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Nip

Jun 25, 2002, 8:25 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4081 views)

Shortcut

Laura

Can't Post |
I like to watch "Laura" and her guests always refer to a "pollada". I envision a party with lots of chickens everywhere but surely I'm mistaken :) Can someone tell me what a "pollada" is?
TIA

Un mexicano

Jun 25, 2002, 10:44 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4043 views)

Shortcut

Laura

Can't Post |
You'll have to look for that information at a Peruvian forum, because that piece of trash of a talk show is Peruvian and the idioms used there are not known to Mexicans. All talk shows are rubbish, regardless of where they are made.

Angelina

Jun 26, 2002, 1:53 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4040 views)

Shortcut

Laura

Can't Post |
My grandmother tells me that in Mexico a "pollada" means a gathering where lots of chicken was served--usually out in the "campos" where men were working in the fields. My take on the Peruvian "pollada" is just a party. I would love to hear from Peruvians on this one. And, I agree that most of these talk shows are "trash", but I think that Laura is also (besides bringing in lots of cash) trying to educate the female populace and bring them to a "higher" place. I really think she is trying to help women open their eyes to the reality of "machismo" in her country. Just my opinion.<p>
: I like to watch "Laura" and her guests always refer to a "pollada". I envision a party with lots of chickens everywhere but surely I'm mistaken :) Can someone tell me what a "pollada" is?
: TIA<p>

arbon

Jun 26, 2002, 6:35 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4036 views)

Shortcut

Laura...¿How do you know? Un mexicano .

Can't Post |
: You'll have to look for that information at a Peruvian forum, because that piece of trash of a talk show is Peruvian and the idioms used there are not known to Mexicans. All talk shows are rubbish, regardless of where they are made. <p>

arbon

Jun 26, 2002, 6:37 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4036 views)

Shortcut

&quot;pollada&quot;. ...&quot;Hen Party&quot; just a guess ;-]

Can't Post |
: I like to watch "Laura" and her guests always refer to a "pollada". I envision a party with lots of chickens everywhere but surely I'm mistaken :) Can someone tell me what a "pollada" is?
: TIA<p>

Nip

Jun 26, 2002, 6:30 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4055 views)

Shortcut

You go Girl!

Can't Post |
Trash or not, I'm glad Laura is trying to encourage women to be independent. She helps lots of her guests get out of bad relationships and if being on "trash TV" is what it takes then good for her! Regardless of your nationality, it doesnt hurt to become familiar with idioms used by others.<p>: You'll have to look for that information at a Peruvian forum, because that piece of trash of a talk show is Peruvian and the idioms used there are not known to Mexicans. All talk shows are rubbish, regardless of where they are made. <p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4