Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

DavidMcL

Jul 27, 2008, 3:53 PM

Post #1 of 24 (8645 views)

Shortcut

Lake Levels

Can't Post | Private Reply
For those of us having to be elsewhere at the moment, how is the lake level? Any snap shots appreciated! (need to know if flood insurance is a good addition :)
David McL
WebJefe

johanson

Jul 28, 2008, 4:55 PM

Post #2 of 24 (8567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Lake Levels

We are doing very well. In fact if the lake level increases about 30 inches more it will be at it's highest level in more than twenty years. You may remember when the park was covered with water near the Ajijic pier about 4 years ago. We are about 28 inches from the water beginning to enter the park. If you are into figures go to
http://www.ceajalisco.gob.mx/chapala.html#dia1 It helps if you can speak a little Spanish. Check out the links. You will like what you see.

We have a 50 50 chance of reaching the record high in I believe 2004 or 5

mkdutch

Sep 19, 2008, 9:29 AM

Post #3 of 24 (8379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Lake Levels

Hey Pete !

Would you give us an update on the lake level change since this July report? I heard on another thread that it's almost up to the former Roberto's restaurant east of the Ajijic Pier - the one Giovanni is moving into. TIA............Dutch

johanson

Sep 19, 2008, 10:12 AM

Post #4 of 24 (8375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Lake Levels

Although I am up North for two weeks, I can tell you that the lake level is now the highest its been since the late 70's and continues to go up

Look at this chart http://www.ceajalisco.gob.mx/...tualiza/comporta.png

Right now the water level is above the grass in the park to the west of the Ajijic Pier. Is the lake full? No but it had been low for so long of a time that the park to the west of the Ajijic pier was built below the 100% full level of the lake (whatever that means)

Also go to http://www.ceajalisco.gob.mx/chapala.html#dia1 and check out the links

Delia

Sep 19, 2008, 5:02 PM

Post #5 of 24 (8349 views)

Shortcut

On my walk this morning, the water was at the bottom of the sidewalk of formerly Roberto's. At the lowered walkway between the pier and the park, there was a huge pile of sand and pile of sandbags. That walkway is about to over flow in to the parking lot. Water in the park is about 6 inches below the top of the wall alongside the malecon.

Georgia

Sep 23, 2008, 12:50 PM

Post #6 of 24 (8278 views)

Shortcut

In Jocotepec the lake has invaded the picnic area behind the newly constructed malecon. Here at our house, it has reached our sea wall: a level not seen since the 70s. Since the chickens rebelled at the life preservers I knitted for them, the gardener had to move them to our lot across the street! The ducks were not convinced of the necessity of the move. I am regretting having sold my kayak seven years ago in a yard sale.

mkdutch

Sep 24, 2008, 6:50 AM

Post #7 of 24 (8236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Lake Levels

Finally, an answer to the age-old question of why the chicken crossed the road...at least in Lakeside.......=^..^=. Sounds like by tending to your knitting, you may have ruffled some feathers, Georgia (groan)......

Georgia

Sep 24, 2008, 7:16 AM

Post #8 of 24 (8231 views)

Shortcut

Groan indeed!

In any event, the chickens are roosting and laying. The rooster is now annoying a neighbor who stole some building materials from me, and life is good.

wendy devlin

Sep 24, 2008, 10:00 AM

Post #9 of 24 (8219 views)

Shortcut

>The ducks were not convinced of the necessity of the move.

As owner of a small 'duckdom', am curious as why you moved your ducks.
Would they have just bobbed away, growing smaller and smaller in the distance?

And the kind of ducks?

And if this is private information, just say, "Quack!" and I'll stop asking:)

Georgia

Sep 24, 2008, 10:43 AM

Post #10 of 24 (8212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Lake Levels

The gardener keeps the ducks for eggs, so he wanted them corralled. One of his damned ducks took up residence in our swimming pool for awhile. Messy. Confrontational. Ducks, in general, are very rude. They are not my ducks. I would have been happy to see them swim off into the distance. I'm not entirely in control of what goes on here at my property: the gardener is an animal lover. There are times I expect to see giraffes in the back yard. We've had: pigs, ducks, chickens, horses, and rabbits. It's like a zoo. Since the gardener has been here for over 25 years and lives on the premises, well ..... you get the picture.

However, he has a very proprietary attitude towards the property. Sometimes even I am locked out.

As to the kind of ducks they are... well, the do quack, and they are big ducks, black and white. And sometimes they make me see red.

mkdutch

Sep 25, 2008, 9:00 AM

Post #11 of 24 (8174 views)

Shortcut

A very entertaining thread, Georgia, thanks to your sense of humor.............Thanks ! I know whereof you speak, BTW: shortly after we moved into our new home in Las Vegas, a mating pair of Mallards from a nearby large park tried to set up shop in our swimming pool. As we had a lot of experience with ducks & geese at our former home in Minnesota, we shooed them off. The fowl news must have gotten around - no problems since.

Gringal

Sep 25, 2008, 12:47 PM

Post #12 of 24 (8157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Delia] Lake Levels

Had lunch today at Nueva Posada. Went down to the lake and observed the former parking lot of La Tasca.
Completley covered; little waves lapping at the sidewalk outside the hotel.

Anybody have a report from the western area where all those topes and seafood restaurants are? Do they have "in-lake" dining as yet?

esperanza

Sep 25, 2008, 1:41 PM

Post #13 of 24 (8149 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Lake Levels

Yep, it's like going to a Chinese seafood restaurant: pick your fish as it swims past, the chef will prepare it to order.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Delia

Sep 25, 2008, 3:15 PM

Post #14 of 24 (8143 views)

Shortcut

This morning the water level is the park is at least 6 inches higher than yesterday. The wall is covered along side the malecon - picnic tables tops almost. By tomorrow morning they may well be gone as well. The men are sandbagging on top of the wall - about 3 feet high. I can only assume that they mean to contain the water and that it will drain out? We shall see..

Georgia

Sep 27, 2008, 2:07 PM

Post #15 of 24 (8096 views)

Shortcut

The western end of the lake is high. At the new malecon in Joco the water is in the picnic area behind the sea wall. The city workers are putting in rip rap (stonework) to prevent erosion of the malecon itself. Hope they spray the standing water for mosquitos. I worry about the sewage treatment plant which is nearby and the CETAC school. At one point in the distant past the water at the west end went all the way to the cross in the middle of the road as you head towards the malecon. Waves were lapping at our seawall today and other neighbor's seawalls have been breached. It sounds like the ocean at night. Both soothing and worrisome.

There is an enormous amount of water coming in from the Lerma River bringing the high water and the lirio.

I think when the huichols did their rain dance and prayer for rain several years back they maybe overdid it a bit.

mkdutch

Oct 12, 2008, 8:59 AM

Post #16 of 24 (8023 views)

Shortcut

Anyone have an update on water levels?

bournemouth

Oct 12, 2008, 9:12 AM

Post #17 of 24 (8021 views)

Shortcut

This Jalisco site gives you pretty good information - it is not updated over the weekend. I'm sorry it'll be a copy and paste link - I absolutely cannot get the hang of making a live link.

http://ceajalisco.gob.mx/chapala.html

That's OK. Rolly is glad to help.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 12, 2008, 10:08 AM)

bournemouth

Oct 12, 2008, 10:14 AM

Post #18 of 24 (8010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Lake Levels

Blessings be upon you Rolly! I was just coming in to try and redo it - Esperanza has been coaching me but with a conspicuous lack of success - even using basic editor!

I'm curious as to why the forum software cannot make links light up automatically - is it a cost thing?

jerezano

Oct 12, 2008, 11:00 AM

Post #19 of 24 (8002 views)

Shortcut

Hello bournemouth,

Using basic editor it is easy to make url's light up. But like all computer things it's necessary to realize that the computer treats us as idiots. If we don't do things exactly right the computer is obstinate;
Here is how to make something bold. Write it out. then put your mouse on where you want the bold to begin, left click to stay there permanently and then go to the b listed below and left click again: Example, then do the same where you want the bold to end and then go to the /b which is below and left click again There you have it the same with the URL http://www.mexconnect.com

See how easy?

jerezano

Georgia

Oct 12, 2008, 11:10 AM

Post #20 of 24 (7998 views)

Shortcut

According to what I read in El Informador over the weekend, the lake level seems to have peaked for the year - actually went down 2 cm. last week, but then it rained again this weekend, so I'm not sure. But I think we've seen the end of the rising lake levels for this year. It hasn't been this high since the 70s.

johanson

Oct 12, 2008, 11:29 AM

Post #21 of 24 (7995 views)

Shortcut

There is a chance that the lake may go up even higher. Apparently some of the dams are full and some of the water behind them is still to be released. At least that is what Aurora Mishel (spelling) at Lloyds believes. Could someone correct me, if my information is wrong?

bournemouth

Oct 12, 2008, 11:52 AM

Post #22 of 24 (7993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Lake Levels

I've heard the story about the dams still being full or near full too - but have no proper source for that information.

I think it is Aurora Michel.

bournemouth

Oct 12, 2008, 11:54 AM

Post #23 of 24 (7991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Lake Levels

Thanks Jerezano for the input. RickS has sorted me out via p.m.'s There seems to be several ways of making links light up but my preferred one has always been Rolly, bless him. Why this site can't make them light up automatically, I don't understand.

esperanza

Oct 12, 2008, 12:31 PM

Post #24 of 24 (7984 views)

Shortcut

I agree, bournemouth. There are some very basic posting details that are missing from MexConnect.

One, of course, is the URL-lighter-upper (how's that for tech talk?). I am unable to quote another post without going to Basic Editor after clicking on "Quote". I can't see anyone's icon in a thread...the only place I can see an icon is by looking at a member's profile. I don't understand why we have these software difficulties on MexConnect, but so far I've been able to work around most of the troubles it causes me.

The icon problem is beyond me. It also seems to be beyond all of you, although I've had a variety of suggestions about fixing it.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4