Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Jacques

Jun 26, 2002, 12:34 PM

Post #1 of 16 (11116 views)

Shortcut

corazon de melon?

Can't Post |
Hi all,<p>What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>Thanks
Jacques

Juan Jose Lomeli

Jun 26, 2002, 3:18 PM

Post #2 of 16 (11088 views)

Shortcut

corazon de melon?

Can't Post |
Hi Jacques,<p> You are right, in terms of meaning it does not mean to much, but if you see the ending letters coraz'on' and mel'on' they are the same, which means it is a very small verse, in spanish we use to say small verses when talking with a lover or a very good friend, that make them feel good, here are more examples:<p>Okey Maguey
Feliz como una lombriz<p>This is an example of a verse in spanish, verse from José Ángel Buesa
:<p>"Canción para la esposa ajena"<p>Tal vez guardes mi libro en alguna gaveta,
sin que nadie descubra cuál relata su historia,
pues será simplemente, los versos de un poeta,
tras de arrancar la página de la dedicatoria...<p>Y pasarán años... Pero acaso algún día,
o acaso alguna noche que estés sola en tu lecho,
abrirás la gaveta - como una rebeldía,
y leerás mi libro- tal vez como un despecho.<p>Y brotará un perfume de una ilusión suprema
sobre tu desencanto de esposa abandonada.
Y entonces con orgullo, marcarás la página...
y guardarás mi libro debajo de la almohada.<p>
Regards!

Georgia

Jun 26, 2002, 5:28 PM

Post #3 of 16 (11089 views)

Shortcut

corazon de melon?

Can't Post |
Just a term of endearment. There's even a song, "Corazon de melon" -- from my epoca.<p>: Hi all,<p>: What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: Thanks
: Jacques<p>

DavidMTY

Jun 26, 2002, 10:56 PM

Post #4 of 16 (11090 views)

Shortcut

Probablemente cantao por...

Can't Post |
the song by Emmanuel,<p>CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
Best...David(MTY)<p>
Ay corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>Se me aprieta el pecho
Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>Corazón de melao... <p>Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
Mira yo me juego todo
En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p><p>
: Hi all,<p>: What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: Thanks
: Jacques<p>

Jacques

Jun 27, 2002, 7:54 AM

Post #5 of 16 (11089 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi David,<p>Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>Thanks
Jacques<p>-------------------------------------------
: the song by Emmanuel,<p>: CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: Best...David(MTY)<p>:
: Ay corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: Se me aprieta el pecho
: Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: Corazón de melao... <p>: Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: Mira yo me juego todo
: En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>
:
: : Hi all,<p>: : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : Thanks
: : Jacques<p>

DavidMTY

Jun 27, 2002, 10:02 AM

Post #6 of 16 (11089 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thanks, Jacques,<p>Now you really asked a good one!!!<p>I will attempt two answers to that one, because the beauty of Corazon de Melao is it is subtile and universal and cute, and one doesn't have to know the song to appreciate it. You haven't said anything about the likes and dislikes or age of her, or what latin territory influences her (where she is from) so I really hesitate to make the first suggestion which I would do, specifically as a canned flirting answer to Corazon de Melao. A little risky, but c'est la vie. The hesitation is because I am taking the "Picante" index from a 2 to a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Keeping in mind that the "Corazon de Melao" song was a very rhythmic catchy tune (and coquetish), and assuming it is the root of her flirtiness-cariño, you could respond based on an equally, or more, flirtish song along the same lines. Here's the one that jumps into mind, probably the only one more catchy than Melao, popular at the same time:<p>Modified from "La Bomba" by King Africa.<p>Reply: "Eres una bom-ba."<p>The way to say "bom-ba" requires a little practice, and "eres una" would be said with much less emphasis while "bom" would last longer, though after hearing the song one time, you'll never forget it.<p>And you might call her "Mi bom-ba" in private.<p>If she doesn't know anything about the two songs, then she might wonder what you are talking about (risk, tsk, tsk), in which case the standard:<p>"Carino", "Cariño mío" (if she has other suitors, you might flirst by saying, "Cariño mío, corazón de otro(s)." Or use Amor in the preceding in place of Cariño.<p>If you want to get more creative, maybe "Solecito" would work well. If Solecito is too masculine, maybe Lunarcito (which means little birthmark). <p>Or if you are really risk averse simply "Amorcito" or even better, "Amorcito mío" will never fail to brighten a nice lady in a true romantic setting. Of course if you are real serious, you could just say "Mi Amor".<p>PS, if while flirting, she ignored you, or looked at someone else, etc. whatever to even mildly make you jealous or the tiniest amount heartbroken, from the great song by Alejandro Sanz, "Corazon partío" which means broken heart (maybe by removing the "d" in partido).<p>Hope you don't end up in the dog house after my advise:)
Best...David(MTY)<p>The words of La Bomba follow, they are picante. but quite popular! Corazon de Melao doesn't sound like a song for nuns either, if you read it! The words in parenthesis, are becuase it is written in a repetitive call-response cute, afro-latin style.
La Bomba<p>Booooooooooooooomba(sensual)
Un movimiento sensual (sensual)
Un movimiento muy sexy (sexy)
Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)
Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
para gozar esto es una (bomba)
para menear esto es una (bomba)
Y las mujeres lo bailan
así, así, así, así<p>Todo el mundo
una mano en la cabeza
una mano en la cabeza
un movimiento sexy
un movimiento sexy
una mano en la cintura
una mano en la cintura
un movimiento sexy
un movimiento sexy
Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba
suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>Bomba (sensual)
Y aquí viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
Todas las mujeres lo bailan (bomba)
Todas los hombres lo bailan (bomba)
Todas las radios lo ponen (bomba)
Las discotecas lo ponen (bomba)
Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)
Y las mujeres lo bailan así, así, así, así<p>Todo el mundo
una mano en la cabeza
una mano en la cabeza
un movimiento sexy
un movimiento sexy
una mano en la cintura
una mano en la cintura
un movimiento sexy
un movimiento sexy
Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba
suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>Sexy, mami (sensual)
Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
Todas las mujeres lo bailan (bomba)
Todas los hombres lo bailan (bomba)
Todas las radios lo ponen (bomba)
Las discotecas lo ponen (bomba)
Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)<p>Pero este cuento se acaba,
acaba, acaba acaba, acaba, acábalo
y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo
y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo
y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo<p><p>: Hi David,<p>: Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>: Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>: Thanks
: Jacques<p>: -------------------------------------------
: : the song by Emmanuel,<p>: : CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: : I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: : Best...David(MTY)<p>: :
: : Ay corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: : Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: : No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: : Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: : Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: : Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: : Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: : Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: : Se me aprieta el pecho
: : Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: : No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: : Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: : Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: : Corazón de melao... <p>: : Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: : Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: : Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: : Mira yo me juego todo
: : En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: : Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: : Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: : Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>:
: :
: : : Hi all,<p>: : : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : : Thanks
: : : Jacques<p>

John P.

Jun 27, 2002, 10:06 AM

Post #7 of 16 (11083 views)

Shortcut

Melao = Melado = Sugar cane syrup

Can't Post |
I also thought this song's title was just a funny pronunciation of "Corazón de Melón", but I happened to look up "MELAO" and I found that it's actually a word used in Caribbean countries for "sugar cane syrup", or melado.
You might not find "melao" in the dictionary, but here's the Vox definition of "melado":
melado, -da (de miel)
1. adj. De color de miel: caballo melado.
2. m. Torta pequeña de miel y cañamones.
3. f. Tostada untada con miel.
4. Pedazos de mermelada seca.
5. m. (Amér.) Jarabe que se obtiene en la fabricación del azúcar de caña.<p>The version I heard of "Corazón de Melón" was by Trini López; I'm sure it's been sung by many others.<p>Cheers,
John P.

Georgia

Jun 27, 2002, 10:58 AM

Post #8 of 16 (11085 views)

Shortcut

I love this song, David....

Can't Post |
When we have parties, all generations get together and we love to watch the young members dance. Some of the older ones can keep up pretty well, too! This particular song is a favorite of my nephews right now ... and, reading the words, I can see them dance .... right down to the floor. Their aunt keeps up (or down, as the case may be) with them pretty well. And the whole family enjoys their youthful exhuberance and agility!<p> Thanks, Jacques,<p>: Now you really asked a good one!!!<p>: I will attempt two answers to that one, because the beauty of Corazon de Melao is it is subtile and universal and cute, and one doesn't have to know the song to appreciate it. You haven't said anything about the likes and dislikes or age of her, or what latin territory influences her (where she is from) so I really hesitate to make the first suggestion which I would do, specifically as a canned flirting answer to Corazon de Melao. A little risky, but c'est la vie. The hesitation is because I am taking the "Picante" index from a 2 to a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Keeping in mind that the "Corazon de Melao" song was a very rhythmic catchy tune (and coquetish), and assuming it is the root of her flirtiness-cariño, you could respond based on an equally, or more, flirtish song along the same lines. Here's the one that jumps into mind, probably the only one more catchy than Melao, popular at the same time:<p>: Modified from "La Bomba" by King Africa.<p>: Reply: "Eres una bom-ba."<p>: The way to say "bom-ba" requires a little practice, and "eres una" would be said with much less emphasis while "bom" would last longer, though after hearing the song one time, you'll never forget it.<p>: And you might call her "Mi bom-ba" in private.<p>: If she doesn't know anything about the two songs, then she might wonder what you are talking about (risk, tsk, tsk), in which case the standard:<p>: "Carino", "Cariño mío" (if she has other suitors, you might flirst by saying, "Cariño mío, corazón de otro(s)." Or use Amor in the preceding in place of Cariño.<p>: If you want to get more creative, maybe "Solecito" would work well. If Solecito is too masculine, maybe Lunarcito (which means little birthmark). <p>: Or if you are really risk averse simply "Amorcito" or even better, "Amorcito mío" will never fail to brighten a nice lady in a true romantic setting. Of course if you are real serious, you could just say "Mi Amor".<p>: PS, if while flirting, she ignored you, or looked at someone else, etc. whatever to even mildly make you jealous or the tiniest amount heartbroken, from the great song by Alejandro Sanz, "Corazon partío" which means broken heart (maybe by removing the "d" in partido).<p>: Hope you don't end up in the dog house after my advise:)
: Best...David(MTY)<p>: The words of La Bomba follow, they are picante. but quite popular! Corazon de Melao doesn't sound like a song for nuns either, if you read it! The words in parenthesis, are becuase it is written in a repetitive call-response cute, afro-latin style.
: La Bomba<p>: Booooooooooooooomba(sensual)
: Un movimiento sensual (sensual)
: Un movimiento muy sexy (sexy)
: Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)
: Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: para gozar esto es una (bomba)
: para menear esto es una (bomba)
: Y las mujeres lo bailan
: así, así, así, así<p>: Todo el mundo
: una mano en la cabeza
: un movimiento sexy
: una mano en la cintura
: Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>: suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba
: suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: Bomba (sensual)
: Y aquí viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: Todas las mujeres lo bailan (bomba)
: Todas los hombres lo bailan (bomba)
: Todas las radios lo ponen (bomba)
: Las discotecas lo ponen (bomba)
: Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)
: Y las mujeres lo bailan así, así, así, así<p>: Todo el mundo
: suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: Sexy, mami (sensual)
: Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)<p>: Pero este cuento se acaba,
: acaba, acaba acaba, acaba, acábalo
: y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo
: y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo<p>
: : Hi David,<p>: : Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>: : Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>: : Thanks
: : Jacques<p>: : -------------------------------------------
: : : the song by Emmanuel,<p>: : : CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: : : I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : :
: : : Ay corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: : : Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: : : No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: : : Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: : : Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: : : Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: : : Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: : : Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: : : Se me aprieta el pecho
: : : Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: : : No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: : : Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: : : Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: : : Corazón de melao... <p>: : : Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: : : Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: : : Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: : : Mira yo me juego todo
: : : En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: : : Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: : : Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: : : Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>: :
: : :
: : : : Hi all,<p>: : : : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : : : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : : : Thanks
: : : : Jacques<p>

DavidMTY

Jun 27, 2002, 11:06 PM

Post #9 of 16 (11083 views)

Shortcut

Georgia &amp; Bombón

Can't Post |
Hi Georgia, yup even the niños love to hokey-pokey to the "La Bomba" tune here and all of our Watermelon Hearts get happy.<p>I spoke with my girlfriend tonight over dinner about Jacques'question and after chiding me for not coming up with enough lovey-dovey terms lately for her, we worked on the problem together, and have the jointly recommended word:<p>"Bombón." She really laughed (and liked the idea) of "bomba" as second best. She thought the probability of the recent hit song Corazón de Melao inspiring the name was about 60% (I think it is about 80%). She had no idea it was not from melón but melao. But now that John clarified that, on a trip to Colombia and Brasil I recall the melao extraction is the cane extract he mentioned and it was in other songs that I remember (e.g. Cali Ahí, "con caña dulce el melao hierve la paila hasta amanecer", but I never shut up, that is another story). So there is another great option, "Dulce Melao" which has a nice parrallel to a Corazón de melón.<p>Un Bombón, of course, is usually any candy sweet, especially chocolates, or a marshmallow, in my experience. A girl that is real pretty is also called a bombón, it is cute, subtle. and it even sounds like bomba:) As a matter of fact we disturbed the peace destroying the La Bomba song singing it by switching the word Bombón for bomba and really liked the result, and what do you know, a five year customer old started dancing, though the management gave us daggers for looks.<p>Thanks for the comment Georgia, your parties sound like fun!
Best...David(MTY)<p>: When we have parties, all generations get together and we love to watch the young members dance. Some of the older ones can keep up pretty well, too! This particular song is a favorite of my nephews right now ... and, reading the words, I can see them dance .... right down to the floor. Their aunt keeps up (or down, as the case may be) with them pretty well. And the whole family enjoys their youthful exhuberance and agility!<p>: Thanks, Jacques,<p>: : Now you really asked a good one!!!<p>: : I will attempt two answers to that one, because the beauty of Corazon de Melao is it is subtile and universal and cute, and one doesn't have to know the song to appreciate it. You haven't said anything about the likes and dislikes or age of her, or what latin territory influences her (where she is from) so I really hesitate to make the first suggestion which I would do, specifically as a canned flirting answer to Corazon de Melao. A little risky, but c'est la vie. The hesitation is because I am taking the "Picante" index from a 2 to a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Keeping in mind that the "Corazon de Melao" song was a very rhythmic catchy tune (and coquetish), and assuming it is the root of her flirtiness-cariño, you could respond based on an equally, or more, flirtish song along the same lines. Here's the one that jumps into mind, probably the only one more catchy than Melao, popular at the same time:<p>: : Modified from "La Bomba" by King Africa.<p>: : Reply: "Eres una bom-ba."<p>: : The way to say "bom-ba" requires a little practice, and "eres una" would be said with much less emphasis while "bom" would last longer, though after hearing the song one time, you'll never forget it.<p>: : And you might call her "Mi bom-ba" in private.<p>: : If she doesn't know anything about the two songs, then she might wonder what you are talking about (risk, tsk, tsk), in which case the standard:<p>: : "Carino", "Cariño mío" (if she has other suitors, you might flirst by saying, "Cariño mío, corazón de otro(s)." Or use Amor in the preceding in place of Cariño.<p>: : If you want to get more creative, maybe "Solecito" would work well. If Solecito is too masculine, maybe Lunarcito (which means little birthmark). <p>: : Or if you are really risk averse simply "Amorcito" or even better, "Amorcito mío" will never fail to brighten a nice lady in a true romantic setting. Of course if you are real serious, you could just say "Mi Amor".<p>: : PS, if while flirting, she ignored you, or looked at someone else, etc. whatever to even mildly make you jealous or the tiniest amount heartbroken, from the great song by Alejandro Sanz, "Corazon partío" which means broken heart (maybe by removing the "d" in partido).<p>: : Hope you don't end up in the dog house after my advise:)
: : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : The words of La Bomba follow, they are picante. but quite popular! Corazon de Melao doesn't sound like a song for nuns either, if you read it! The words in parenthesis, are becuase it is written in a repetitive call-response cute, afro-latin style.
: : La Bomba<p>: : Booooooooooooooomba(sensual)
: : Un movimiento sensual (sensual)
: : Un movimiento muy sexy (sexy)
: : Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)
: : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : para gozar esto es una (bomba)
: : para menear esto es una (bomba)
: : Y las mujeres lo bailan
: : así, así, así, así<p>: : Todo el mundo
: : una mano en la cabeza
: : un movimiento sexy
: : una mano en la cintura
: : Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>: : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba
: : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: : Bomba (sensual)
: : Y aquí viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : Todas las mujeres lo bailan (bomba)
: : Todas los hombres lo bailan (bomba)
: : Todas las radios lo ponen (bomba)
: : Las discotecas lo ponen (bomba)
: : Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)
: : Y las mujeres lo bailan así, así, así, así<p>: : Todo el mundo
: : Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>: : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba
: : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: : Sexy, mami (sensual)
: : Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : Todas las mujeres lo bailan (bomba)
: : Todas los hombres lo bailan (bomba)
: : Todas las radios lo ponen (bomba)
: : Las discotecas lo ponen (bomba)
: : Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)<p>: : Pero este cuento se acaba,
: : acaba, acaba acaba, acaba, acábalo
: : y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo
: : y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo
: : y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo<p>:
: : : Hi David,<p>: : : Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>: : : Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>: : : Thanks
: : : Jacques<p>: : : -------------------------------------------
: : : : the song by Emmanuel,<p>: : : : CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: : : : I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: : : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : : :
: : : : Ay corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: : : : Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: : : : No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: : : : Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: : : : Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: : : : Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: : : : Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: : : : Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: : : : Se me aprieta el pecho
: : : : Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: : : : No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: : : : Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: : : : Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: : : : Corazón de melao... <p>: : : : Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: : : : Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: : : : Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: : : : Mira yo me juego todo
: : : : En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: : : : Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: : : : Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: : : : Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>: : :
: : : :
: : : : : Hi all,<p>: : : : : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : : : : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : : : : Thanks
: : : : : Jacques<p>

Georgia

Jun 28, 2002, 5:07 AM

Post #10 of 16 (11087 views)

Shortcut

Un piropo para tu novia

Can't Post |
When I was a young woman (long time ago, now, I guess) I lived in Madrid. THE BEST and also the funniest piropo I ever heard came from a gentleman "of a certain age" who passed me on the street. It stopped me cold in my tracks and I've never forgotten it. I'll share it with you, because I think you would enjoy it:<p>Ay, senorita, eres tan guapa que me haces encender las cerillas en el bolsillo!<p>Warning: This may agitate nearby male relatives to commit a battery. Check the surroundings first!<p>: Hi Georgia, yup even the niños love to hokey-pokey to the "La Bomba" tune here and all of our Watermelon Hearts get happy.<p>: I spoke with my girlfriend tonight over dinner about Jacques'question and after chiding me for not coming up with enough lovey-dovey terms lately for her, we worked on the problem together, and have the jointly recommended word:<p>: "Bombón." She really laughed (and liked the idea) of "bomba" as second best. She thought the probability of the recent hit song Corazón de Melao inspiring the name was about 60% (I think it is about 80%). She had no idea it was not from melón but melao. But now that John clarified that, on a trip to Colombia and Brasil I recall the melao extraction is the cane extract he mentioned and it was in other songs that I remember (e.g. Cali Ahí, "con caña dulce el melao hierve la paila hasta amanecer", but I never shut up, that is another story). So there is another great option, "Dulce Melao" which has a nice parrallel to a Corazón de melón.<p>: Un Bombón, of course, is usually any candy sweet, especially chocolates, or a marshmallow, in my experience. A girl that is real pretty is also called a bombón, it is cute, subtle. and it even sounds like bomba:) As a matter of fact we disturbed the peace destroying the La Bomba song singing it by switching the word Bombón for bomba and really liked the result, and what do you know, a five year customer old started dancing, though the management gave us daggers for looks.<p>: Thanks for the comment Georgia, your parties sound like fun!
: Best...David(MTY)<p>: : When we have parties, all generations get together and we love to watch the young members dance. Some of the older ones can keep up pretty well, too! This particular song is a favorite of my nephews right now ... and, reading the words, I can see them dance .... right down to the floor. Their aunt keeps up (or down, as the case may be) with them pretty well. And the whole family enjoys their youthful exhuberance and agility!<p>: : Thanks, Jacques,<p>: : : Now you really asked a good one!!!<p>: : : I will attempt two answers to that one, because the beauty of Corazon de Melao is it is subtile and universal and cute, and one doesn't have to know the song to appreciate it. You haven't said anything about the likes and dislikes or age of her, or what latin territory influences her (where she is from) so I really hesitate to make the first suggestion which I would do, specifically as a canned flirting answer to Corazon de Melao. A little risky, but c'est la vie. The hesitation is because I am taking the "Picante" index from a 2 to a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Keeping in mind that the "Corazon de Melao" song was a very rhythmic catchy tune (and coquetish), and assuming it is the root of her flirtiness-cariño, you could respond based on an equally, or more, flirtish song along the same lines. Here's the one that jumps into mind, probably the only one more catchy than Melao, popular at the same time:<p>: : : Modified from "La Bomba" by King Africa.<p>: : : Reply: "Eres una bom-ba."<p>: : : The way to say "bom-ba" requires a little practice, and "eres una" would be said with much less emphasis while "bom" would last longer, though after hearing the song one time, you'll never forget it.<p>: : : And you might call her "Mi bom-ba" in private.<p>: : : If she doesn't know anything about the two songs, then she might wonder what you are talking about (risk, tsk, tsk), in which case the standard:<p>: : : "Carino", "Cariño mío" (if she has other suitors, you might flirst by saying, "Cariño mío, corazón de otro(s)." Or use Amor in the preceding in place of Cariño.<p>: : : If you want to get more creative, maybe "Solecito" would work well. If Solecito is too masculine, maybe Lunarcito (which means little birthmark). <p>: : : Or if you are really risk averse simply "Amorcito" or even better, "Amorcito mío" will never fail to brighten a nice lady in a true romantic setting. Of course if you are real serious, you could just say "Mi Amor".<p>: : : PS, if while flirting, she ignored you, or looked at someone else, etc. whatever to even mildly make you jealous or the tiniest amount heartbroken, from the great song by Alejandro Sanz, "Corazon partío" which means broken heart (maybe by removing the "d" in partido).<p>: : : Hope you don't end up in the dog house after my advise:)
: : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : : The words of La Bomba follow, they are picante. but quite popular! Corazon de Melao doesn't sound like a song for nuns either, if you read it! The words in parenthesis, are becuase it is written in a repetitive call-response cute, afro-latin style.
: : : La Bomba<p>: : : Booooooooooooooomba(sensual)
: : : Un movimiento sensual (sensual)
: : : Un movimiento muy sexy (sexy)
: : : Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)
: : : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : : para gozar esto es una (bomba)
: : : para menear esto es una (bomba)
: : : Y las mujeres lo bailan
: : : así, así, así, así<p>: : : Todo el mundo
: : : una mano en la cabeza
: : : un movimiento sexy
: : : una mano en la cintura
: : : Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>: : : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba
: : : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: : : Bomba (sensual)
: : : Y aquí viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: : : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : : Todas las mujeres lo bailan (bomba)
: : : Todas los hombres lo bailan (bomba)
: : : Todas las radios lo ponen (bomba)
: : : Las discotecas lo ponen (bomba)
: : : Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)
: : : Y las mujeres lo bailan así, así, así, así<p>: : : Todo el mundo
: : : Y ahora empiezo a menear<p>: : : suavecito para abajo, para abajo, para abajo
: : : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: : : Sexy, mami (sensual)
: : : Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: : : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : : Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)<p>: : : Pero este cuento se acaba,
: : : acaba, acaba acaba, acaba, acábalo
: : : y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo
: : : y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo<p>: :
: : : : Hi David,<p>: : : : Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>: : : : Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>: : : : Thanks
: : : : Jacques<p>: : : : -------------------------------------------
: : : : : the song by Emmanuel,<p>: : : : : CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: : : : : I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: : : : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : : : :
: : : : : Ay corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: : : : : Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: : : : : No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: : : : : Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: : : : : Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: : : : : Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: : : : : Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: : : : : Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: : : : : Se me aprieta el pecho
: : : : : Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: : : : : No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: : : : : Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: : : : : Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: : : : : Corazón de melao... <p>: : : : : Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: : : : : Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: : : : : Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: : : : : Mira yo me juego todo
: : : : : En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: : : : : Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: : : : : Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: : : : : Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>: : : :
: : : : :
: : : : : : Hi all,<p>: : : : : : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : : : : : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : : : : : Thanks
: : : : : : Jacques<p>

Jacques

Jun 28, 2002, 7:11 AM

Post #11 of 16 (11083 views)

Shortcut

Georgia &amp; Bombón

Can't Post |
Hi David,<p>Thanks again for your response; I used "Bombón".<p>How did you become to know so much of the intricicis of spanish?<p>Jacques<p>------------------------<p>: Hi Georgia, yup even the niños love to hokey-pokey to the "La Bomba" tune here and all of our Watermelon Hearts get happy.<p>: I spoke with my girlfriend tonight over dinner about Jacques'question and after chiding me for not coming up with enough lovey-dovey terms lately for her, we worked on the problem together, and have the jointly recommended word:<p>: "Bombón." She really laughed (and liked the idea) of "bomba" as second best. She thought the probability of the recent hit song Corazón de Melao inspiring the name was about 60% (I think it is about 80%). She had no idea it was not from melón but melao. But now that John clarified that, on a trip to Colombia and Brasil I recall the melao extraction is the cane extract he mentioned and it was in other songs that I remember (e.g. Cali Ahí, "con caña dulce el melao hierve la paila hasta amanecer", but I never shut up, that is another story). So there is another great option, "Dulce Melao" which has a nice parrallel to a Corazón de melón.<p>: Un Bombón, of course, is usually any candy sweet, especially chocolates, or a marshmallow, in my experience. A girl that is real pretty is also called a bombón, it is cute, subtle. and it even sounds like bomba:) As a matter of fact we disturbed the peace destroying the La Bomba song singing it by switching the word Bombón for bomba and really liked the result, and what do you know, a five year customer old started dancing, though the management gave us daggers for looks.<p>: Thanks for the comment Georgia, your parties sound like fun!
: Best...David(MTY)<p>: : When we have parties, all generations get together and we love to watch the young members dance. Some of the older ones can keep up pretty well, too! This particular song is a favorite of my nephews right now ... and, reading the words, I can see them dance .... right down to the floor. Their aunt keeps up (or down, as the case may be) with them pretty well. And the whole family enjoys their youthful exhuberance and agility!<p>: : Thanks, Jacques,<p>: : : Now you really asked a good one!!!<p>: : : I will attempt two answers to that one, because the beauty of Corazon de Melao is it is subtile and universal and cute, and one doesn't have to know the song to appreciate it. You haven't said anything about the likes and dislikes or age of her, or what latin territory influences her (where she is from) so I really hesitate to make the first suggestion which I would do, specifically as a canned flirting answer to Corazon de Melao. A little risky, but c'est la vie. The hesitation is because I am taking the "Picante" index from a 2 to a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Keeping in mind that the "Corazon de Melao" song was a very rhythmic catchy tune (and coquetish), and assuming it is the root of her flirtiness-cariño, you could respond based on an equally, or more, flirtish song along the same lines. Here's the one that jumps into mind, probably the only one more catchy than Melao, popular at the same time:<p>: : : Modified from "La Bomba" by King Africa.<p>: : : Reply: "Eres una bom-ba."<p>: : : The way to say "bom-ba" requires a little practice, and "eres una" would be said with much less emphasis while "bom" would last longer, though after hearing the song one time, you'll never forget it.<p>: : : And you might call her "Mi bom-ba" in private.<p>: : : If she doesn't know anything about the two songs, then she might wonder what you are talking about (risk, tsk, tsk), in which case the standard:<p>: : : "Carino", "Cariño mío" (if she has other suitors, you might flirst by saying, "Cariño mío, corazón de otro(s)." Or use Amor in the preceding in place of Cariño.<p>: : : If you want to get more creative, maybe "Solecito" would work well. If Solecito is too masculine, maybe Lunarcito (which means little birthmark). <p>: : : Or if you are really risk averse simply "Amorcito" or even better, "Amorcito mío" will never fail to brighten a nice lady in a true romantic setting. Of course if you are real serious, you could just say "Mi Amor".<p>: : : PS, if while flirting, she ignored you, or looked at someone else, etc. whatever to even mildly make you jealous or the tiniest amount heartbroken, from the great song by Alejandro Sanz, "Corazon partío" which means broken heart (maybe by removing the "d" in partido).<p>: : : Hope you don't end up in the dog house after my advise:)
: : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : : The words of La Bomba follow, they are picante. but quite popular! Corazon de Melao doesn't sound like a song for nuns either, if you read it! The words in parenthesis, are becuase it is written in a repetitive call-response cute, afro-latin style.
: : : La Bomba<p>: : : Booooooooooooooomba(sensual)
: : : Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)
: : : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : : para menear esto es una (bomba)
: : : Y las mujeres lo bailan
: : : así, así, así, así<p>: : : Todo el mundo
: : : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: : : Bomba (sensual)
: : : Y aquí viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: : : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : : Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)
: : : Y las mujeres lo bailan así, así, así, así<p>: : : Todo el mundo
: : : suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: : : Sexy, mami (sensual)
: : : Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: : : Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: : : Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)<p>: : : Pero este cuento se acaba,
: : : acaba, acaba acaba, acaba, acábalo
: : : y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo<p>: :
: : : : Hi David,<p>: : : : Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>: : : : Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>: : : : Thanks
: : : : Jacques<p>: : : : -------------------------------------------
: : : : : the song by Emmanuel,<p>: : : : : CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: : : : : I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: : : : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : : : :
: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: : : : : Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: : : : : No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: : : : : Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: : : : : Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: : : : : Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: : : : : Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: : : : : Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : : : Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: : : : : Se me aprieta el pecho
: : : : : Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: : : : : No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: : : : : Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: : : : : Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: : : : : Corazón de melao... <p>: : : : : Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: : : : : Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: : : : : Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: : : : : Mira yo me juego todo
: : : : : En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: : : : : Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: : : : : Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: : : : : Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: : : : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>: : : :
: : : : :
: : : : : : Hi all,<p>: : : : : : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : : : : : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : : : : : Thanks
: : : : : : Jacques<p>

lonely guy

Jun 28, 2002, 12:31 PM

Post #12 of 16 (11084 views)

Shortcut

this is what loneliness can do to you.

Can't Post |
: the song by Emmanuel,<p>: CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: Best...David(MTY)<p>:
: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: Se me aprieta el pecho
: Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: Corazón de melao... <p>: Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: Mira yo me juego todo
: En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>
:
: : Hi all,<p>: : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : Thanks
: : Jacques<p>

Wendy

Jun 28, 2002, 4:05 PM

Post #13 of 16 (11084 views)

Shortcut

Need a few more piropos?

Can't Post |
 David,<p>Here's a website to update your collection of piropos.
Creative spanish at its finest;^)<p>Buena suerte! Wendy

DavidMTY

Jun 29, 2002, 10:38 AM

Post #14 of 16 (11084 views)

Shortcut

Need a few more piropos?

Can't Post |
Hey, how did we degenerate into catcalls from the cute, cuddly flirting nmaterial recommended to a romantic French-named poster? My novia's name is not Ramona!!!!!!!<p>(off the record, Georgia's pretendiente's was definitely a real good one, which at some point beyond sobriety I should test, using cerillo for cerilla (which sounded like earwax, sort of detracting:)) <p>Thanks Wendy, though the link to the famous page didn't get included in the post--now what was it?? Not that I'd look at it jajaja...O;-)
Best...David(MTY)
: David,<p>: Here's a website to update your collection of piropos.
: Creative spanish at its finest;^)<p>: Buena suerte! Wendy<p>

Wendy

Jun 29, 2002, 3:41 PM

Post #15 of 16 (11084 views)

Shortcut

Need a few more piropos?

Can't Post |
: David,<p>: Here's a website to update your collection of piropos.
: Creative spanish at its finest;^)<p>: Buena suerte! Wendy<p>

Lavandita

Jul 2, 2002, 9:16 AM

Post #16 of 16 (11107 views)

Shortcut

Cuidadito Bombaaaa

Can't Post |
But be careful- dont use "bombita" because that is the current
slang term for a man's favorite body organ.<p>You could say Hola bomboncita
which is the meaning for a
little bonbon or candy<p>Linda Cachetona is complimentary.<p>There are many others but I would
have to think about tham- I have
received many piropos in my life
(not braggin- just the truth",<p>Hubby would call me "ojos de pinguica"
pronounced peen GWEE cah, which is a
fruit, I believe. I have green eyes, though.<p>lindura - beautiful one
hermosura - beautiful one
chula, chulita - pretty one<p>I will think on it if you like.<p><p><p>
: Thanks, Jacques,<p>: Now you really asked a good one!!!<p>: I will attempt two answers to that one, because the beauty of Corazon de Melao is it is subtile and universal and cute, and one doesn't have to know the song to appreciate it. You haven't said anything about the likes and dislikes or age of her, or what latin territory influences her (where she is from) so I really hesitate to make the first suggestion which I would do, specifically as a canned flirting answer to Corazon de Melao. A little risky, but c'est la vie. The hesitation is because I am taking the "Picante" index from a 2 to a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Keeping in mind that the "Corazon de Melao" song was a very rhythmic catchy tune (and coquetish), and assuming it is the root of her flirtiness-cariño, you could respond based on an equally, or more, flirtish song along the same lines. Here's the one that jumps into mind, probably the only one more catchy than Melao, popular at the same time:<p>: Modified from "La Bomba" by King Africa.<p>: Reply: "Eres una bom-ba."<p>: The way to say "bom-ba" requires a little practice, and "eres una" would be said with much less emphasis while "bom" would last longer, though after hearing the song one time, you'll never forget it.<p>: And you might call her "Mi bom-ba" in private.<p>: If she doesn't know anything about the two songs, then she might wonder what you are talking about (risk, tsk, tsk), in which case the standard:<p>: "Carino", "Cariño mío" (if she has other suitors, you might flirst by saying, "Cariño mío, corazón de otro(s)." Or use Amor in the preceding in place of Cariño.<p>: If you want to get more creative, maybe "Solecito" would work well. If Solecito is too masculine, maybe Lunarcito (which means little birthmark). <p>: Or if you are really risk averse simply "Amorcito" or even better, "Amorcito mío" will never fail to brighten a nice lady in a true romantic setting. Of course if you are real serious, you could just say "Mi Amor".<p>: PS, if while flirting, she ignored you, or looked at someone else, etc. whatever to even mildly make you jealous or the tiniest amount heartbroken, from the great song by Alejandro Sanz, "Corazon partío" which means broken heart (maybe by removing the "d" in partido).<p>: Hope you don't end up in the dog house after my advise:)
: Best...David(MTY)<p>: The words of La Bomba follow, they are picante. but quite popular! Corazon de Melao doesn't sound like a song for nuns either, if you read it! The words in parenthesis, are becuase it is written in a repetitive call-response cute, afro-latin style.
: La Bomba<p>: Booooooooooooooomba(sensual)
: Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)
: Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: para menear esto es una (bomba)
: Y las mujeres lo bailan
: así, así, así, así<p>: Todo el mundo
: suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: Bomba (sensual)
: Y aquí viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)
: Y las mujeres lo bailan así, así, así, así<p>: Todo el mundo
: suavecito para arriba, para arriba, para arriba<p>: Sexy, mami (sensual)
: Y aquí se viene el africano con el baile que es una (bomba)<p>: Para bailar esto es una (bomba)
: Toda la gente lo baila (bomba)<p>: Pero este cuento se acaba,
: acaba, acaba acaba, acaba, acábalo
: y acaba, acaba, acaba, acaba, acábalo<p>
: : Hi David,<p>: : Thanks for a very thorough response!!<p>: : Are there any other such romantic/loving greetings in spanish that you know of? I wish to receprocate with a similar response to her.<p>: : Thanks
: : Jacques<p>: : -------------------------------------------
: : : the song by Emmanuel,<p>: : : CORAZON DE MELAO, popularly thought of as "Brazilian" because I thing, Coracao and Melao mean the same in Portuguese as Spanish, but the currently popular song probably inspiring your question (popular a year or two ago and still well remembered) was actually written by a contemporary of Juan Luis Guerra, Manuel Tejada, from the Dominican Republic and is relatively recent and popular. They really can eat their endings of ado there! Here in Monterrey certain unnamed flirting women have been known use the phrase your ask, and it sounds good. The OW sound of Melao and the repetitiveness of it is really catchy and the strength of the song, and the tune is easy to get stuck on. An additional reason is the OW sound at the end is seen as humorous in a cute, even romantic sense, evoking the Caribbean (where the ado is perverted cutely into ao, as in I am "enamora'o" and Brazil and many babes love that. So if she tells you "Melon Heart" think happiness, flirtiness, cariño, hey you're lucky! (not acabao nor terminao)<p>: : : I will never forget my fabulous time in Santo Domingo 10 years ago in the fun places where they really dance "pegao". Anyway, a real playful way with the language...and a way to rhyme all the ado verb endings made the current song popularity possible.
: : : Best...David(MTY)<p>: : :
: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Mira La moreno que me tiene alborotao
: : : Brinca, salta y baila como un trompo e medio lao
: : : No hay mas que mirarla y ya te sientes atrapao
: : : Ay que ella me vuelve loco <p>: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao <p>: : : Suelta la cintura si me quiere enamorá
: : : Deja que la sangre se te mezcle con el cha-cha
: : : Bríndame un te quiero con limón y sin mezclar
: : : Mira que me vuelvo loco <p>: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao
: : : Corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón, corazón <p>: : : Se me aprieta el pecho
: : : Le saco provecho a esta forma loca de bajarme del lecho
: : : No sé si quisieras que por ti yo fuera
: : : Una fiera en celo que se mete donde quiera
: : : Y me voy volviendo loco, loco... <p>: : : Corazón de melao... <p>: : : Bailo como un loco en tu cintura dislocao
: : : Sorbo de tu boca el veneno regalao
: : : Una telaraña de tu cuerpo me has hechao
: : : Mira yo me juego todo
: : : En la noche oscura te escabulles a mi lao
: : : Subo por tu pecho sin aliento y to sudao
: : : Quiero tu cintura pero todo se ha borrao
: : : Ahora yo me vuelvo loco
: : : Corazón de melao, melao, melao, melao.<p>: :
: : :
: : : : Hi all,<p>: : : : What does it mean when somebody says to you "Hola corazon de melon"?<p>: : : : The dictionary lookup says "melon heart", but that doesn't make sense. Does this mean anything specific in Mexico?<p>: : : : Thanks
: : : : Jacques<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4