Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Oscar2

Mar 29, 2007, 12:32 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4283 views)

Shortcut

My Favorite Taco

Can't Post | Private Reply
My Favorite Taco:

Una tortilla de míes calientita, carne ala pastor, cilantro, cebollita, un pocito de ajito, todo buen picado, juguito de limón y la salsa picante mas sabrosa, con una cerveza Del Sole ala mas fría posible.

Do you have a favorite?

Anonimo

Mar 29, 2007, 6:45 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] My Favorite Taco

Goodd choice, Oscar.
I also like the plump and meaty Tacos Ingleses at El Huequito, Calle Bolívar, entre Rep de Uruguay y El Salvador, in Centro Histórico del DF: large pieces of bistec asado bañado en Salsa Inglesa (Worcestershire Sauce) con queso. There is a selection of about 6 condiments with which to guisar tu taco.

Another place Taquería Tlaquepaque, on Avenida Independencia # 4, just off Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas, a block or so south of La Alameda, has a selection of tacos, quesos fundidos, antojiitos to the max.
This scene is of, I believe, either brochetas mixtas o tacos de chuleta, nopalitos y queso. I now see other, unidentifiable goodies to the north side of the photo.

¡Provecho!

Anonimo

Oscar2

Mar 30, 2007, 12:12 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] My Favorite Taco

Anonimo:

It’s been close to two years now and your ability to display and tantalize with such a delicious and interesting array of dishes highlights a passion which has served “us” well.

The intricate care and attention to fine detail in preparation of even a mere taco makes it a fun adventure especially when dressed with colorful inviting photos.

While in Plaza Del Sol and Chapalita in Guad, as well as in Zacatecas, it seems you can find a couple or so of the towns favorite sometimes-larger taquerías. They are usually very popular with the locals and maintain a vast menu seemingly with just about every taco in existence.

Someone on this forum once mentioned that if the food is good and fresh, go where the lines are long because the turnover compels fresher, larger orders of food to keep pace with the demand. If anything, this kind of makes sense.

While at the taqueria in Plaza Del Sol, I took notice of a few locals who ordered something akin to a lazy Suzan or large plate centered on the table with assorted, delicious, piping hot taquito carnes for the picking. They gave it a name which eludes me but between the two of us we ordered same but only smaller portions and gads, was that a treat. Especially with all the trimmings that came with it. What the heck do they call that assorted platio?

Carron

Oct 11, 2008, 9:30 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4111 views)

Shortcut

In both Mexican states where I have lived (Chiapas and Coahuila) these platters of assorted meats, salsas, and tortillas are called botanas, roughly translated as very hearty drinking snacks. They can fill an afternoon as well as they fill your stomach.

Oscar2

Oct 11, 2008, 12:46 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] My Favorite Taco

Caron, While discovering many things about Mexico, Botanas was very much one of them back about November of 07’. I cut and pasted a post to share with you. I’ve seen how some create a hyperlink directly to that specific post but I’ve yet to learn how.

"Botanas"

Well I’ll be darned. Botanas is what you call that experience we unsuspectingly had in an Aguascalientes restaurant. If my memory serves me right, I think the name of this very popular restaurant was called either Pepe’s or Pepinos.

Reason we stopped to eat there was because of the surrounding streets and parking lots were full, indicating maybe the food, music or something was popular.

We sat down, the place was buzzing with activity, we ordered Margaritas with a side of Gran Marnier just to smooth the edges but before we got our drinks, plates of food of all kinds kept coming.

Being a first time experience, we looked around and large groups and families were doing same. After we got our drinks, the food just kept coming and being that we were there to have something special for dinner, well but…..so much food kept coming and we kept snacking that our appetites melted into another Margarita of same instead.

We sat there and munched and munched, listened to lively entertainment and then I noticed the couple sitting just ahead of us by the window as well, got served by the waiter a very large bucket filled with ice and bottles of cerveza.

As they sat there guzzling cerveza one right after the other the food kept flying. It was kind of funny and a bit novel because I couldn’t quite figure out what was going on till we finished eating and drinking and ordered la cuenta.

He brought us a bill which exceeded the price of the drinks and I brought it to his attention by which he replied, “Senior we have a minimum of X amount of pesos.” Confused I enquired what that meant and he said, “You have to buy a minimum amount of drinks to get all this food that is why they kept serving dishes.”

I thanked him and told him I appreciated this effort but we were really, really full and didn’t want to drink or eat any more, then he suggested we can order cerveza or something else to drink “to go” and that would fill the minimum drink order requirement.

He brought us 4 or 5 bottles of bagged beer, we left him a sizable propina and left. Reflecting, the guy/couple sitting to one side of us with the bucket of cerveza ordered another bucket just before we left and the food kept flying.

It’s clear now that this is a night out for many just like them and others where entertainment and guzzling suds with snacks/dishes galore at a reasonable price can make for a fun evening ala Mexicana.

This to us is unique and just one of the little draws of Mexico which calls us back.

Rolly

Oct 11, 2008, 1:14 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4097 views)

Shortcut

"I’ve seen how some create a hyperlink directly to that specific post but I’ve yet to learn how."

Go to the post you wish to link to. On the left, under the poster's name you will see the words "Copy Shortcut." Click on that to place the link in memory. Then go to the place were you wish to insert the link; click and paste. And there you are.

Rolly Pirate

Oscar2

Oct 11, 2008, 2:02 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] My Favorite Taco

Rolly, I just went through a series of tests and it worked well. Muchas Gracias.

Oscar

Carron

Oct 11, 2008, 2:20 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4081 views)

Shortcut

BOTANAS are different in different parts of Mexico. Here where I currently live in Coahuila (northern Mexico) they are a large platter that can be ordered at one time for however many people are at table. For example, botanas for 4.

In Chiapas, where I first encountered and loved them the entire ambiance was different. This is similar to what you experienced.

In Chiapas, the places which serve this are usually large palapa-covered salons de fiesta. Many tables may seat 20-30 or more people each. Their liquor licenses run from about 1:00 in the aftenoon until 6-7:00. Even early in the afternoon there is live entertainment, from a simple table-hopping mariachi band to almost Vegas style floor shows with show girls, commediennes, ventriloquists, dance troops, wild animals, etc.

The protocol is this: as long as someone at the table orders a drink, another round of botanas is offered to everyone at table. Often the person at the head of the table is the oldest female and she may order an entire bottle of brandy or tequila, which is still probably not enough to go around more than once or twice! (She also pays the bill, though her esposo may give her the money.)

The list of dishes presented is awesome. Shrimp soup, fried seafood, sausages, guacamole, steamed fish, caldo de res, tinga, roast chicken, tamales in banana leaves, fajitas, mollejas, arroz, etc. If you can imagine it, it will probably come to your table--if you stay long enough, and most people do.

The price was the cost of the drinks. Plus something for the waiter and perhaps for the performers.

JohnnyBoy

Oct 22, 2008, 10:26 AM

Post #9 of 11 (4028 views)

Shortcut

What about taco fish?

I am nuts about them. We go almost very weekend, either Saturday or Sunday morning, sometimes both, and eat them. There is a local superstition that mariscos should not be eaten much after midday. Does that notion exist elsewhere in Mexico?

If the locals are to be believed, the whole idea of taco fish began here in Hermosillo, or at least in Sonora, which, although it is located in a horrendous desert, is only an hour away from the Sea of Cortez.

Anyway, I am bonkers about taco fish. They are my favorite kind of taco.

(This post was edited by JohnBleazard on Oct 22, 2008, 10:29 AM)
Attachments: TCOFSH28.JPG (147 KB)
  TCOFSH29.JPG (167 KB)

Oscar2

Oct 22, 2008, 11:29 AM

Post #10 of 11 (4016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] My Favorite Taco

OMG, fish tacos are absolutely the best with a capitol “B!” I/we love them! Anything seafood in this household, takes center stage, big time. Yahoo’s is a big fast food chain which specializes in Fish Tacos amongst other treats but una fría con tacos de pescado are really a treat.

After having a fish dinner, routinely, left over’s are fridged for tacos another day. I don’t know why Fish Tacos were ever omitted from the list….sheeesh. Gracias, and the great pix, just reminded me of what to have for dinner tonight…..

esperanza

Oct 22, 2008, 11:41 AM

Post #11 of 11 (4012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] My Favorite Taco

In Reply To
What about taco fish?

I am nuts about them. We go almost very weekend, either Saturday or Sunday morning, sometimes both, and eat them. There is a local superstition that mariscos should not be eaten much after midday. Does that notion exist elsewhere in Mexico?

If the locals are to be believed, the whole idea of taco fish began here in Hermosillo, or at least in Sonora, which, although it is located in a horrendous desert, is only an hour away from the Sea of Cortez.

Anyway, I am bonkers about taco fish. They are my favorite kind of taco.

Your observation is true pretty much everywhere in Mexico, John. Fish and seafood are usually eaten in the morning and for comida, but not in the evening.

You might enjoy this:

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/...s/2008/06/index.html

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4