Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

alex .

Oct 10, 2008, 12:48 PM

Post #1 of 24 (13108 views)

Shortcut

so what does the border fence look like ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Depends on where you look.............

alex .

Oct 16, 2008, 11:29 AM

Post #2 of 24 (13023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] so what does the border fence look like ?

Shot with [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=hp+photosmart+735&make=Hewlett-Packard]hp photosmart 735 at 2008-10-16

Shot with [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=hp+photosmart+735&make=Hewlett-Packard]hp photosmart 735 at 2008-10-16

alex .

Oct 16, 2008, 11:36 AM

Post #3 of 24 (13019 views)

Shortcut

alex .

Oct 16, 2008, 11:48 AM

Post #4 of 24 (13016 views)

Shortcut

BajaGringo

Oct 16, 2008, 7:03 PM

Post #5 of 24 (12978 views)

Shortcut

Our House Building Project in Mexico...
Lomas de San Martin
Loving Life on the Baja Peninsula

BajaGringo

Oct 16, 2008, 7:04 PM

Post #6 of 24 (12977 views)

Shortcut

Lomas de San Martin

BajaGringo

Oct 16, 2008, 7:05 PM

Post #7 of 24 (12975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaGringo] so what does the border fence look like ?

Lomas de San Martin

BajaGringo

Oct 16, 2008, 7:06 PM

Post #8 of 24 (12974 views)

Shortcut

Lomas de San Martin

BajaGringo

Oct 16, 2008, 7:07 PM

Post #9 of 24 (12973 views)

Shortcut

Lomas de San Martin

alex .

Oct 21, 2008, 8:46 PM

Post #10 of 24 (12910 views)

Shortcut

LintonRobinson

Nov 21, 2008, 9:42 AM

Post #11 of 24 (12779 views)

Shortcut

This would be the absolute west end of the fence. You can walk through it at any time, around it at low tides.

I once saw some Mexican kids playing volleball over it.

Oddly, these two images are both from the same shot. I didn't notice the girl until later. So I photoshopped the hell out of her.

N2Futur

Nov 22, 2008, 1:29 PM

Post #12 of 24 (12735 views)

Shortcut

GREAT PHOTOS!

Sadly, it reminds me a lot of the IRON CURTAIN between East and West Germany. I grew up in a west German town, where the last house was only several meters away from the actually fence. Beyond the fence on the east German side were mine fields. And a lot of our family was on the east German side, just a few kilometers away, never allowed to leave......

Is that what's next?????? Mine fields to keep people from entering the good ole USofA?????

Scary thought, huh?

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Nov 22, 2008, 1:30 PM)

nancyinpdx

Nov 23, 2008, 3:15 AM

Post #13 of 24 (12697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] so what does the border fence look like ?

Linton, that pic brought tears to my eyes and 'n2futur' your post made me sad too. I hate America's treatment of Mexicans. nancy

Carron

Nov 23, 2008, 5:02 AM

Post #14 of 24 (12690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyinpdx] so what does the border fence look like ?

I just pray that my beloved Mexico never starts treating us gringos the way we treat them.

alex .

Nov 23, 2008, 6:24 AM

Post #15 of 24 (12682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carron] so what does the border fence look like ?

Notice that some fence locations only impede vehicle traffic. One can easily walk across, but then you are in the middle of stinkin' nowhere with two days of walking to find civilization. A pretty hollow victory I'd say.
Alex

alex .

Nov 23, 2008, 6:32 AM

Post #16 of 24 (12681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nancyinpdx] so what does the border fence look like ?

As a valid passport holding US American Citizen, I must enter the US thru the Port of Entry. Why wouldn't foreigners be required to do so?

Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Nov 23, 2008, 6:34 AM)

smokesilver

Nov 24, 2008, 10:10 AM

Post #17 of 24 (12629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] so what does the border fence look like ?

Its pathetic what we have become in the last 8 years. Are we trying to keep people and ideas out or in?

nancyinpdx

Dec 1, 2008, 1:28 PM

Post #18 of 24 (12563 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I just pray that my beloved Mexico never starts treating us gringos the way we treat them.

i agree, Carron. nancy

sioux4noff

Dec 1, 2008, 2:55 PM

Post #19 of 24 (12555 views)

Shortcut

Mexico does not treat illegal immigrants, especially those from central American countries very well.
In my experience in Texas, it is not the fact that someone is Mexican, but the fact that they are illegally in the USA that seems to be the issue. I'm not defending US immigration policy by any stretch, but I have heard the most comments about illegals.
I do hope that Mexico never makes it as hard for those from the USA to legally enter Mexico, as the US makes it for Mexicans.

rainer

Dec 2, 2008, 5:27 PM

Post #20 of 24 (12501 views)

Shortcut

Correct----------Nobody who is crossing legally at a legal border crossing is kept in or out, so where is the problem with the fence????
Smile

Carron

Dec 5, 2008, 3:12 PM

Post #21 of 24 (12430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rainer] so what does the border fence look like ?

It is my understanding from students and Mexican relatives that the process for getting a visa to travel into the US from Mexico is much more difficult than for us to head south. When I taught in Chiapas, I was surprised to find the teachers who actually spoke English had a distinct British accent. Many had attended various schools and colleges in England and had never been to the US. Why? Wasn't the US a neighbor?? They said England is very easy to visit, very considerate of Mexicans wishing to improve themselves. These teachers said they could not qualify for visas to the US.

colibri1

Dec 12, 2008, 4:22 AM

Post #22 of 24 (12370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rainer] so what does the border fence look like ?

THERE ARE SEVERAL BIG PROBLEMS WITH THE FENCE...ONE IS THAT WILDLIFE THAT ARE ACCUSTOMED TO RANGING ON BOTH SIDES ARE BEING IMPEDED. NOT TO MENTION THE GENERAL DESTRUCTION THAT IS CAUSED BY SUCH A LARGE CONSTRUCTION PROJECT. AND LET US NOT FORGET THE ENORMOUS EXPENSE OF THIS DESPICABLE CREATION WHEN THE $$$ COULD HAVE BEEN PUT TO MUCH BETTER AND POSITIVE USE. I'VE READ MANY ARTICLES ABOUT HOW THE FENCE IS NEGATIVELY AFFECTING EVERYDAY LIFE AND ECONOMICS IN MANY BORDER TOWNS (BOTH SIDES).
JUST MY 2 PESOS.
M

JohnnyBoy

Dec 12, 2008, 10:06 AM

Post #23 of 24 (12339 views)

Shortcut

"...getting a visa to travel into the US from Mexico is much more difficult than for us to head south..."

That is the biggest understatement since Noah said: "It looks like rain."

I have never heard of an American being denied a Mexican tourist visa, although I will concede in advance that it probably has happened, but Mexicans are denied US tourist visas all the time, regularly, and that is after waiting for hours in long lines, paying $100 or more, non-refundable, one-time only, to make application for the visa. They are denied, with little or no explanation, and all that money is just gone. More often than not the Mexican applicant is given virtually nothing by way of explanation why his/her application was being denied. At least this is what Mexicans I know have told me. If a reason is given, it is so vague as to be meaningless.

And to say that the British welcome Mexicans to Britain, as tourists, students, short term residents, is probably one of the most inaccurate things I have ever heard. Brits are notoriously racist and treat virtually anyone who doesn't speak the local dialect like a native with complete contempt...so I have been told on several occasions, primarily by Chinese students trying to study in Britain. They are encouraged to come and enroll, but they get the treatment by landlords, shopkeepers, and the general public. Ironically (at least to me), as I understand from Mexican friends who recently travelled in Europe, the Brits were out done in their racism against these Mexicans only by the Spaniards.

It is incredibly easy to get a Mexican tourist visa for six months. Mexicans are among the least racist people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I travelled throughout Europe for six weeks during the summer of 2007, including Great Britain, and while I never had a problem and no one ever looked sideways at me, I certainly would not have been surprised to catch some flack along the way, given the bad reputation America has in the world.

But not in Mexico. Mexicans are just as aware as Europeans are of our (USA) malfeasance in the world, but they are too polite and too politically correct to let that guide them in their dealings and relationships with Americans in general, certainly not with individual Americans, who, they realize, have little or no control or influence over the leadership in the USA who have created the ill-will.

And that ridiculous fence is just another thorn in the side of anyone and everyone who cares at all about improving our image in the world, in general, and our relationship with the Mexicans, in specific.

I am totally against illegal immigraton by Mexicans, or anyone from any where in the world, into the USA. The solution, getting the 10-12 million of them to leave and convincing others not to go to the USA looking for work, is not a fence. If there are no jobs for them, they will leave and others will not go there. It is a question of drying up the job opportunities. Which of course would wreak further havoc on the economy, but I don't think we can have it both ways...lost of cheap, legal labor. And the same principle holds true, running in the opposite direction, for the drug problem. If Americans would stop buying the drugs, or if the USA would legalize and control all drugs, that problem, too, would be significantly remedied. No fence required. In both cases the answers and solutions lie within the will, commitment, and resolve of the Americans. But America is apparently too busy with its so-called foreign policy (read: messing in the business and affairs of the rest of the world, eg. invading sovereign nations and deposing dicators [who used to be our buddies], too busy policing the world). Maybe when we get the rest of our former enemies all set up like we have in Western Europe and Japan, maybe then we will have time and money to solve these domestic problems. But I think we have a long row to hoe making them FORMER enemies; just too, too many of them are CURRENT enemies. I hope we don't do that with the Mexicans.

indianajulia

Jan 3, 2009, 2:27 PM

Post #24 of 24 (12273 views)

Shortcut

Wow!! This is a stunning, moving collection of photos. They should be published!
www.thestarchildgallery.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4