Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Linda in Morelia

Sep 28, 2008, 3:41 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2518 views)

Shortcut

Minivan with high wheel clearance?

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I plan to buy a car here in Mexico. We want a car that has high wheel clearance (for topes and dirt roads) and seats at least 5 comfortably. We don't want a large car, so we are thinking a small SUV might work.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a minivan with high wheel clearance that is available in Mexico?

Or whether there is some other class or type of car that would meet our requirements.

As always, we appreciate your imput.

Linda

RickS

Sep 28, 2008, 4:27 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2505 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim and Linda] Minivan with high wheel clearance?

Nissan XTrail
Toyota Rav4
Honda CR-V

in no particular order....

Your criteria of "seats at least 5 comfortably" will be a stretch for anything in the small SUV category. Any of these will seat five for a short trip and four comfortably for any trip. All are 4-wheel or all-wheel drive, high clearance, sturdy, small cross-over SUVs, and all are very popular in Mexico, especially where ever you might find gringos or middle class Mexican Nationals.

I'm sure you will get other recommendations, but I'm sticking with these three.

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 28, 2008, 4:30 PM)

bournemouth

Sep 28, 2008, 4:31 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2502 views)

Shortcut

Everyone will have a different answer - we are very happy with our Toyota RAV4 - seats 5 - but you wouldn't want to take a really long trip with 5 in it. Good luggage space. However, I have to say we have a 2006 which is before they went to the current "jellybean" shape - you'd have to look at one to make sure the space is still the same.
The only minivan I remember with decent ground clearance was the Chevrolet Astro - no longer made and also rather large for village streets.

sioux4noff

Sep 28, 2008, 8:07 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2470 views)

Shortcut

Jeep Liberty and Ford Escape are also both very popular. They will seat 5, comfortably is in the eye of the beholder. We have had 10 people (5 adults, 5 kids)in our Mazda Tribute (same as a Ford Escape.) The driver was comfortable, everyone else, not so much.
The Dodge Nitros look pretty cool, and there is a newer Jeep model as well.

Bethie

Sep 28, 2008, 11:44 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Minivan with high wheel clearance?

I drove a 2002 Honda CRV for 6 years. Was very impressed on how it handled in the snow, it seats 5. I would recommend a roof top luggage carrier for extra storage. Good on gas too

Linda in Morelia

Sep 29, 2008, 4:58 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] Minivan with high wheel clearance?

Thank you all for your information.

Linda

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4