Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Rolly

Sep 27, 2008, 8:49 AM

Post #1 of 14 (6791 views)

Shortcut

3 arrested in grenade attack

Can't Post | Private Reply
Three Zetas have been arrested for the grenade attack in Morelia.

In Spanish: http://www.cronica.com.mx/nota.php?id_nota=387640

Rolly Pirate

ken_in_dfw

Sep 27, 2008, 12:50 PM

Post #2 of 14 (6762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 3 arrested in grenade attack

Can't Post |
Sounds like the SIEDO (Assistant Attorney General's office for the investigation of organized crime) got their men. They were caught in Apatzingan, but it was interesting to read that the Attorney General was being a bit cagey about where they were originally from - stating only that one of the three was from Guerrero.

There is a write-up in English from the Houston Chronicle. And, if you speak Spanish and can stomach it, there is an interview with one of the vermin released by the SIEDO to El Universal.

If they're found guilty, I hope they rot under the jail.

Ken

esperanza

Sep 27, 2008, 2:01 PM

Post #3 of 14 (6753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] 3 arrested in grenade attack

During the last week, there have been daily newspaper advertisements offering a hefty reward for the apprehension and conviction of the parties responsible for the attacks. How hefty, you might ask? Ten million pesos hefty. That's about a million US dollars, an unprecedented amount for a reward here in Mexico.

Most folks I've talked with about this reward agree that it's enough money to encourage one or two (or three) people to agree to take a fall and split the money--for themselves or their families--with the person who turns them in.

If these three detainees really are Zetas, they could simply be the chivos expiatorios (scapegoats) and the folks who turned them in will be the ones who get the money--maybe to be split with the families of the three guys.

Cynical? No doubt. Probable? You be the judge, but you heard it here first.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bournemouth

Sep 27, 2008, 2:52 PM

Post #4 of 14 (6746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] 3 arrested in grenade attack

I didn't have the benefit of your post with the background information on the reward, but my first thought was that these were fall guys - we'll see how it plays out.

colibri1

Sep 27, 2008, 3:05 PM

Post #5 of 14 (6743 views)

Shortcut

That would explain why they confessed, as our household was wondering this morning upon reading the news. Not knowing of the reward, my thought was that the scapegoats were taking the heat off of "La Familia".

Brian

Sep 27, 2008, 3:45 PM

Post #6 of 14 (6739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] 3 arrested in grenade attack

People tend to "confess" when their mouth is taped shut while a carbonated beverage is shaken up and forcibly poured into their nose. Mexico has a law against torture by the police but confessions derived therefrom are nevertheless admissible in court. The government risked a revolution by the populace if they didn't "solve" the case expeditiously.

(This post was edited by Brian on Sep 27, 2008, 3:49 PM)

colibri1

Sep 27, 2008, 3:56 PM

Post #7 of 14 (6732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] 3 arrested in grenade attack

Another good point.

ken_in_dfw

Sep 27, 2008, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 14 (6707 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
[Updated link - apologies for the "user error" :-) ]

That may be the case.

But there is this conflicting statement in the la Crónica article:

Su captura se derivó de una denuncia anónima recibida en la SIEDO, el pasado 24 de septiembre, ajena al esquema de recompensas anunciado por la PGR días antes.

Translation: "Their capture came about as a result of an anonymous complaint received by SIEDO, 24 September, unrelated to the rewards announced by the PGR several days before."

I'm willing to admit that the reward might go forward anyway - but it's kind of strange to see a statement to the contrary in the paper. Maybe it's some form of saving face publicly - I'm still very much a novice in learning Mexican customs.

It just struck me as a little odd. But that's probably 'cuz I'm a gringo.

Ken

(This post was edited by kenhjr on Sep 27, 2008, 10:02 PM)

esperanza

Sep 27, 2008, 9:36 PM

Post #9 of 14 (6691 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kenhjr] 3 arrested in grenade attack

Your link doesn't work. Could you repost it correctly, please?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ken_in_dfw

Sep 27, 2008, 10:03 PM

Post #10 of 14 (6688 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Apologies for that, Esperanza. Not sure what happened there. The link seems to be working now.

Ken

bournemouth

Sep 28, 2008, 11:41 AM

Post #11 of 14 (6653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] 3 arrested in grenade attack

There is an editorial letter in The News from Mexico City today on the arrests - read here:

http://www.thenews.com.mx/home/tnOpinion_h.asp

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 28, 2008, 11:42 AM)

colibri1

Oct 5, 2008, 2:37 AM

Post #12 of 14 (6571 views)

Shortcut

Unfortunately, clicking on this link gets the CURRENT issue of The News. oops! I would really like to read this piece, if you can think of another way to get it, I would be very appreciative.
M

(This post was edited by colibri1 on Oct 5, 2008, 2:39 AM)

bournemouth

Oct 5, 2008, 7:00 AM

Post #13 of 14 (6562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] 3 arrested in grenade attack

I'm sorry Colibri but The News doesn't keep an archive - at least, not at this moment. In the letter the Editor expressed some doubts about the rapid arrest and had some other observations of interest.

colibri1

Oct 6, 2008, 8:15 AM

Post #14 of 14 (6510 views)

Shortcut

Ah...yes, many of us have been wondering at the rapidity and ease of that nab. Thanks for the synopsis.
M

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4