Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Brian

Sep 16, 2008, 7:02 AM

Post #1 of 15 (4619 views)

Shortcut

Intimidation tactics becoming more and more like Colombia

Can't Post | Private Reply
The first sound at the annual Grito in Morelia was that of an explosion. Eight dead and at least 85 wounded. Apparently no group has yet taken responsibility.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/538695.html

In addition to the above, other explosions have occurred which has resulted in the cancellation of the Independence Day parade.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/538669.html

(This post was edited by Brian on Sep 16, 2008, 7:24 AM)

Anonimo

Sep 16, 2008, 7:34 AM

Post #2 of 15 (4600 views)

Shortcut

Death toll in Morelia attack

In "La Voz de Michoacan", I read 3 dead and 70 wounded, but perhaps the death toll has climbed since earlier reports.
La Voz says that reports of other explosions turned out to be rumors.

con tristeza,
Anonimo

esperanza

Sep 16, 2008, 10:05 AM

Post #3 of 15 (4567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Death toll in Morelia attack

Death toll is now reported at 8, with more than 100 injured--some of those in intensive care.

We were to have gone but at the last minute, needed to stay home.

The news is on CNN, both in English and in Spanish, as well as on Mexican channels. Local news channels, in live reports from Morelia's Centro Histůrico, show that no one at all is downtown. Of course the Sept. 16 events have been canceled.

Helicopters have buzzed our house all morning.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jennifer rose

Sep 16, 2008, 11:05 AM

Post #4 of 15 (4549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Death toll in Morelia attack

Can't Post |
http://staringatstrangers.typepad.com/...the-night-morel.html

Oscar2

Sep 16, 2008, 12:49 PM

Post #5 of 15 (4522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Death toll in Morelia attack

I hear you and I feel your pain. Lo siento mucho y con un corazůn pesado las lagrimas de todos no se van ah olvidar.

TigerTonio

Sep 16, 2008, 9:07 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Death toll in Morelia attack

Speaking as a proud citizen of this magnificent city, I can say I'm just sickened by what has happened. My friends, neighbors, and myself feel as though we've lost a loved one. And putting it mildly, we're rather pissed off. My other half read Jennifer's blog post in between meetings this afternoon in Chicago and wept.

Oscar2

Sep 17, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #7 of 15 (4395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tio ToŮo] Death toll in Morelia attack

Tio Tono, tearing up has affected me as well. Why, because aside from this wave of horrific terrorism which is plaguing our world, Morelia was furthest in my mind from being affected by this. Why Morelia? What can Narcoís achieve be instilling fear on the populous? Is there an ongoing governmental Narco cleanup campaign chomping at their heels? I donít know. I donít live in Morelia but quite frankly I havenít heard of any of these kind of ongoing pursuits. Only those attentive to the news would know, which I try not to listen to because most of it is bad anyway. Come November Iím geared and ready to feel the Morelia Iíve wanted to visit for some time now.

I remember talking to a leader of a very hot musical group in San Miguel de Allende while on break and his voice emotionally cracked with passion when he said, la ciudad mŠs hermosa es Morelia. We put our glasses in the air and toasted too it with flare. I still remember this.

Those who cherish their city and of which is very much a part of who they are, its not hard to imagine them feeling violated, livid, frightened, and inside understandably torn for justice. I empathize!

As Jan said, we will recover and be stronger in spite of it. The underlying proudness, which simmered quietly, will find a new voice. A voice which will carry a commitment to somehow restore what is theirs in ways that have historically surfaced. Morelia will not go away, it will remain and its inhabitants will keep resurfacing as history tells.

As distasteful as this may sound, I just returned from Bali which is loaded with international tourist. 75% of these tourists are Australians and the buzz always references the couple of bombings Bali experienced killing about 50 mostly Australians but they are a hardy group and the streets of Bali are once again crammed with their tourism. Life does and will go on.

As Jim and Linda pointed out, Iím 60 years old and Iíve lead a blessed life. I donít fear death, Iíve had a good life. For whatever reason, resilience in some never goes away. This is the inspiring seed that can crush and allay fear and put us back on the map where we live and live it shall be until the inspiring dawns of our lives will someday meet our final sunset. Go Morelia!

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Sep 17, 2008, 11:36 AM)

esperanza

Sep 17, 2008, 10:10 AM

Post #8 of 15 (4393 views)

Shortcut

Oscar2, what in the world is a Norco?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Oscar2

Sep 17, 2008, 10:42 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4386 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza, good question. Iíve heard you reference it a number of times, perhaps you can tell us what it means to you, especially since you are now a resident of Morelia. If its just one of your spelling corrections ďagainĒ gracias.

bournemouth

Sep 17, 2008, 11:26 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4367 views)

Shortcut

Oscar - not to detract from the horror of the Morelia attack, but I've never seen Esperanza use the work "norco" and a search did not bring up anything.

Try "narco".

Oscar2

Sep 17, 2008, 11:54 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Death toll in Morelia attack

A person pours their heart out and someone finds fault in what is said by (1) letter in a word which its meaning was obvious but nit picking has to take precedence in some ones sense of purpose by asking, what in the world is a Norco?, as if they didnít know. As you commented a simple suggestion as you mentioned of changing (o) too (a) would have worked in a more pleasant way. It really came off as kind of snide. But then again, whatever.. I hope it didn't derail the post's intent and purpose. Gracias

Oscar2

Sep 17, 2008, 2:51 PM

Post #12 of 15 (4329 views)

Shortcut

I took a break, went to the hardware store and my local produce store for their Wednesday sale, and picked up some great tasting grapes, cantaloupes, watermelon and sugar free banana nut muffins. Esperanza spoke to me and life is still good.

I know, I know, I let my ego at times get the best of me but I try hard to keep it in check. Apologies are in order for getting a bit testy. I realize my spelling isnít the best like a whole mess more but at my age, I guess its just part of the package. Some one once said, donít worry about it, it too shall passÖ..

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Sep 17, 2008, 4:02 PM)

jennifer rose

Sep 17, 2008, 3:14 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4322 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
See http://staringatstrangers.typepad.com/...9/quin-y-por-qu.html
and
http://www.thenews.com.mx/....asp?cve_cont=179782

Oscar2

Sep 17, 2008, 4:49 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4303 views)

Shortcut

Pobrecitos, no hay remedio por los inocentes, ni razůn. La locura espanta hasta los mŠs macizos. Stay strong and carefully listen to your instincts. There is a light on the other side.

geri

Sep 19, 2008, 5:54 AM

Post #15 of 15 (4211 views)

Shortcut

Jennifer, you were quoted prominently in the second paragraph of a Page 3 story in the NEWS, at least in the Oaxaca edition, but I can't find it on the web. They used your quote in the headline. Viva Mexconnect!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4