Arturo

Jul 6, 2002, 3:36 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4875 views)

Shortcut

my mom was called something

Can't Post |
: A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.

Dave

Jul 6, 2002, 3:56 PM

Post #3 of 11 (4869 views)

Shortcut

my mom was called something

Can't Post |
: A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>In Mexico, gabacho=gringo. gabacha=gringa.

Nip

Jul 6, 2002, 4:46 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4872 views)

Shortcut

would Gabacho be considered derogatory? nfm

Can't Post |
: : A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: : " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: : so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>: Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.<p>

cathy

Jul 6, 2002, 7:57 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4869 views)

Shortcut

would Gabacho be considered derogatory? nfm

Can't Post |
: : : A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: : : " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: : : so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>: : Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.<p>my mom took it to mean soemthing derogitory. She lived in Mexico as a teacher for many years, and she has decided it meant something derogitory. Because when she lived there in the 50's , gringo and gabacho were terms used for U.S. people they did not like.

DavidMTY

Jul 7, 2002, 1:18 AM

Post #6 of 11 (4874 views)

Shortcut

Definitely derogatory, and it really applies to French folks...

Can't Post |
although surely some will say it is not derogatory because they are used to be insulted or because some Mexican they know is ignorant to the fact that it is derogatory. And if it is generalized to include USA, Canada, etc., well that is a combination of ignorance and the character of the dynamic language. I think the term originated when an appropriate insulting word was needed to refer to the French invading dogs in the 1860's. Of course if someone doesn't recognize that there is discrimination in Mexico, or thinks their gabacho victim deserves such a name since they looks different, it would be hard to explain that this term is derogatory to them. Now that a lot of 'gringos' are content calling themselves gringos, and think it is cute even, gabacho has generally been the more derogatory term, especially when they exist commonly side by side. Though no doubt there are plenty of regional exceptions to any such weak attempt at generalization.
Best...David(MTY)<p>
: : : : A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: : : : " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: : : : so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>: : : Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.<p>: my mom took it to mean soemthing derogitory. She lived in Mexico as a teacher for many years, and she has decided it meant something derogitory. Because when she lived there in the 50's , gringo and gabacho were terms used for U.S. people they did not like. <p>

Nip

Jul 7, 2002, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 11 (4869 views)

Shortcut

Franchotes

Can't Post |
I did a little reasearch on the term "gabacho" and found that it originally meant "frenchmen" but that the current term for the French is Franchotes. Of course ya'll actually living in Mexico may be better suited to confirm this.<p>: although surely some will say it is not derogatory because they are used to be insulted or because some Mexican they know is ignorant to the fact that it is derogatory. And if it is generalized to include USA, Canada, etc., well that is a combination of ignorance and the character of the dynamic language. I think the term originated when an appropriate insulting word was needed to refer to the French invading dogs in the 1860's. Of course if someone doesn't recognize that there is discrimination in Mexico, or thinks their gabacho victim deserves such a name since they looks different, it would be hard to explain that this term is derogatory to them. Now that a lot of 'gringos' are content calling themselves gringos, and think it is cute even, gabacho has generally been the more derogatory term, especially when they exist commonly side by side. Though no doubt there are plenty of regional exceptions to any such weak attempt at generalization.
: Best...David(MTY)<p>:
: : : : : A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: : : : : " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: : : : : so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>: : : : Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.<p>: : my mom took it to mean soemthing derogitory. She lived in Mexico as a teacher for many years, and she has decided it meant something derogitory. Because when she lived there in the 50's , gringo and gabacho were terms used for U.S. people they did not like. <p>

Jaime

Jul 7, 2002, 1:18 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4870 views)

Shortcut

Gabacho is a derogatory term used for Americans and originated in the border zone of Baja Caliornia

Can't Post |
: although surely some will say it is not derogatory because they are used to be insulted or because some Mexican they know is ignorant to the fact that it is derogatory. And if it is generalized to include USA, Canada, etc., well that is a combination of ignorance and the character of the dynamic language. I think the term originated when an appropriate insulting word was needed to refer to the French invading dogs in the 1860's. Of course if someone doesn't recognize that there is discrimination in Mexico, or thinks their gabacho victim deserves such a name since they looks different, it would be hard to explain that this term is derogatory to them. Now that a lot of 'gringos' are content calling themselves gringos, and think it is cute even, gabacho has generally been the more derogatory term, especially when they exist commonly side by side. Though no doubt there are plenty of regional exceptions to any such weak attempt at generalization.
: Best...David(MTY)<p>:
: : : : : A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: : : : : " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: : : : : so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>: : : : Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.<p>: : my mom took it to mean soemthing derogitory. She lived in Mexico as a teacher for many years, and she has decided it meant something derogitory. Because when she lived there in the 50's , gringo and gabacho were terms used for U.S. people they did not like. <p>

Jaime

Jul 7, 2002, 1:20 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4868 views)

Shortcut

that would be &quot;Franchutes&quot;-nfm

Can't Post |
: I did a little reasearch on the term "gabacho" and found that it originally meant "frenchmen" but that the current term for the French is Franchotes. Of course ya'll actually living in Mexico may be better suited to confirm this.<p>: : although surely some will say it is not derogatory because they are used to be insulted or because some Mexican they know is ignorant to the fact that it is derogatory. And if it is generalized to include USA, Canada, etc., well that is a combination of ignorance and the character of the dynamic language. I think the term originated when an appropriate insulting word was needed to refer to the French invading dogs in the 1860's. Of course if someone doesn't recognize that there is discrimination in Mexico, or thinks their gabacho victim deserves such a name since they looks different, it would be hard to explain that this term is derogatory to them. Now that a lot of 'gringos' are content calling themselves gringos, and think it is cute even, gabacho has generally been the more derogatory term, especially when they exist commonly side by side. Though no doubt there are plenty of regional exceptions to any such weak attempt at generalization.
: : Best...David(MTY)<p>: :
: : : : : : A girl from Mexico helps out my mom, and said to my mom-
: : : : : : " you are Gaibacho, aren't you."
: : : : : : so i was wondering, what is this term?<p>: : : : : Gabacho is a person from U.S.A. gabacho = gringo.<p>: : : my mom took it to mean soemthing derogitory. She lived in Mexico as a teacher for many years, and she has decided it meant something derogitory. Because when she lived there in the 50's , gringo and gabacho were terms used for U.S. people they did not like. <p>

John R

Jul 7, 2002, 1:46 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4870 views)

Shortcut

Definitely derogatory, and it really applies to French folks...

Can't Post |
Larousse translates it as (fam) "Frenchy." DRAE and Grijalbo also say it can be a derogatory reference to French. Flores y Escalante's "Morralla del Calo Mexicano" says it began as a reference to French during the intervention and is now used for norteamericanos. It also is a sort of dove or pigeon, and is slang for a white-coated medical worker in El Salvador (per the DRAE).<p>

Jerezano

Jul 7, 2002, 3:00 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4893 views)

Shortcut

Gabacho//Like most things in Mexico, it depends.....

Can't Post |
Hello,<p>Hello:
My dictionary tells me that gabacho means awkward or without grace and as one of the above posters points out was originally applied to French people. However whether it is derogatory or not depends on how it is used. Just as the words Gringo or Bolillo or GŁero are used. I have a very good friend here in Mexico who from day one has always called me Gabacho. It seems when he lived in Los Angeles as an illegal entry all his friends called gringos gabachos and he just picked up the habit. Even his wife calls me gabacho. Should I object when they have just stuffed me with tamales, birria, frijoles, and churros? Adios. Jerezano.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4