Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Rolly

Sep 10, 2008, 8:51 AM

Post #1 of 14 (5527 views)

Shortcut

México rated best place to retire

Can't Post | Private Reply
International Living magazine has rated México as the best country for retirement.

http://www.internationalliving.com/...008-retirement-index

The top 5 are:
  1. Mexico
  2. Ecuador
  3. Panama
  4. Uruguay
  5. Italy

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Sep 10, 2008, 10:02 AM

Post #2 of 14 (5507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] México rated best place to retire

Thanks Rolly.

I question their "Top 3 Retirement Havens" cities.

While I love Merida, for some of the reasons they mentioned, I think it would be ENTIRELY to hot/muggy for most retirees almost year-around (yes, I know there are retirees there who like it). Yet they rate it 9/10 on climate.

And while I have not been to Xalapa (although it is high on my list to visit) the weather there is also probably a 'negative' factor for many retirees. I could be wrong on this one! They rate climate at 8/10.

Manzanillo, their 3rd "haven" is probably an OK choice (I like it) but is not exactly what comes to mind when I think of 'haven'. But I wouldn't rate it as 9/10 in 'Attractiveness'! When they kill that coal-fired electric plant south of town, Manzanillo's air quality should become much better too.

To be fair, they did say their and any choice is somewhat subjective and one-size cannot fit all.
Theirs don't fit me very well (although I like them all as places to visit.... just not live full-time).

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 10, 2008, 10:50 AM)

RickS

Sep 10, 2008, 5:30 PM

Post #3 of 14 (5455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] México rated best place to retire

OK. Maybe I now know how Merida got chosen as one of the 'Top 3 Retirement Haven Citiies'...... the Publisher of International Living magazine, Dan Prescher, LIVES in Merida! While they said their choices were subjective, me thinks maybe that fact should have been mentioned somewhere along the way.

But that actually pales in comparison to the half truths and inuendos that are flying between the two political factions up here NOB. It is definitely NOT my favorite time..... and I thought that both these clowns said they were for change!

bournemouth

Sep 10, 2008, 6:14 PM

Post #4 of 14 (5440 views)

Shortcut

Come on down Rick - you're welcome!!

robrt8

Sep 10, 2008, 8:19 PM

Post #5 of 14 (5421 views)

Shortcut

If Mexico has a "culture" rating of 72, Panama and Costa Rica would have to have a combined total of zippo + nada.
A Coke in Italy costs 20x the price in Mexico.

julietl

Sep 12, 2008, 11:10 AM

Post #6 of 14 (5339 views)

Shortcut

That was interesting, and I agree with most of it -
but I don't know what they were smokin' when they put together that monthly budget, especially the household help and utilities. I wish!

esperanza

Sep 12, 2008, 1:13 PM

Post #7 of 14 (5320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] México rated best place to retire

It is interesting, and compared with our expenses in Morelia, exactly right. Our house is quite a bit larger but not much more expensive than the $800/month IL mentions, and the rest of the expenses are either spot-on or slightly less than we pay.

However, I wouldn't have given Mérida first place. If they'd asked me, the weather alone would have ranked 1 or 2, rather than 7, and while there is an airport, Mérida is a heckuva long way from most everyplace Americans want to reach in their Old Country. Although the Mérida-to-Chicago airfares I saw today while just investigating were relatively reasonable (generally under $1000 USD round trip for coach), the travel times would be difficult. Nearly 12 hours door to door--counting arriving at the Mérida airport two hours early and counting another hour for ground travel time to a Chicago Loop hotel--would do me in.

It's also interesting that in the cost of living column the authors price health care at the IMSS price, but tout private health care such as Clínica Mérida and Star Médica in the blurb.

There are similar discrepencies in the rest of the article. It's just one magazine's opinion.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

hunteradvisor

Sep 13, 2008, 5:18 AM

Post #8 of 14 (5263 views)

Shortcut

I only wish we could have fallen in love with Merida! As East Coasters NOB who are still commuting, a direct non stop price from Boston to Cancun for my son's wedding 2 years ago was $350 each round trip. This past spring it was a bit more on Jet Blue. It is a couple of hours drive from Cancun to Merida, but worth for the savings in arifare. South of Cancun, near Tulum out in the area of the Biosphere is really terrific. The calmest, warmest water and sofest sandy beaches ever! Alas a bit to peopled for our rough and tumble lifestlye that we live on our west coast ranch, but the 14 hour roundtrip super expensive airfares are a challenge. The solution of course is obvious! Get our butts down there and stay, if these were the years of budget surpluses not deficits that might have been possible?
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

roni_smith

Sep 13, 2008, 5:46 AM

Post #9 of 14 (5256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] México rated best place to retire

We like Merida a lot, but we have, so far, liked about everywhere we have been in Mexico - San Miguel, Guanajuato, Lake Chapala, Guadalajara, the Caribbean side of the Yucatan.

It is one of the places we are considering for retirement. I feel pretty confident that it will be a regular vacation place - because one can always visit and spend time there when it is not hurricane season. There are some active bloggers there. Sfmacaws, who used to be a poster here, has her baddogs on the run blog - with details of the home in Merida's historic center that they are renovating - it is getting close to being done.

The costs cited seem consistent with other cost information I have read, and it is confirming to read the same here.

Now, in terms of best places claim - I don't buy that. I think the key to happiness or satisfaction with one's place is a good fit between the person and the place. I have lived different places in the US and Brasil and have been happy. I have read stories of people's lives in Mexico - and you know what, they move. Often they are happy where they moved from and happy where they moved to.

There is a main Merida forum if anyone is interested in reading more about the area. www.meridainsider.com
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

(This post was edited by roni_smith on Sep 13, 2008, 5:47 AM)

bfwpdx

Sep 13, 2008, 6:40 AM

Post #10 of 14 (5246 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] México rated best place to retire

What I found interesting about the budget figures, is that it is so bang on our retirement budget living here in BC. I always thought we weren't saving any money when we live in Mexico. Of course there are other reasons to want to live in Mexico, but I am referring only to the budget in the article.

thriftqueen

Sep 13, 2008, 9:18 AM

Post #11 of 14 (5210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] México rated best place to retire

Now, in terms of best places claim - I don't buy that. I think the key to happiness or satisfaction with one's place is a good fit between the person and the place. I have lived different places in the US and Brasil and have been happy. I have read stories of people's lives in Mexico - and you know what, they move. Often they are happy where they moved from and happy where they moved to.

Ron, what a right on post. Some folks just simply don't see beauty in where ever they are. And again there are those who are basically happy and see beauty everywhere. How many times have we passed through some where and said, "how can anyone live here". It's a good thing that we all are different.

Did everyone read the article in this month's Mex Con entitled, Coming & Going? A very poignant story.

(This post was edited by thriftqueen on Sep 13, 2008, 9:20 AM)

kwschopf

Sep 16, 2008, 8:16 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5105 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] México rated best place to retire

While we are very contentedly retired in Mexico, I have to say that this article was very misleading. Many of the "upsides" to living in Mexico (to us) are "downsides" to others. As everyone has said many times on this forum, Mexico is not for everyone. The cultural differences, which are not really mentioned, except obliquely, in the article, are pretty profound. The adjustments, depending on your expectations, are significant. If you are an obsessive-compulsive, Type-A personality who has no tolerance for ambiguity, you will be miserable in Mexico. It has been interesting to see our chosen home through the eyes of friends who have visited us over the past few years. Some of them are envious and completely understand why we made this decision; others think we are crazy. Depends on what you want/need to make you happy. Every gringo enclave has its share of residents who labor fruitlessly to turn their little corner of Mexico into something that resembles the little corner of the US or Canada that they left to come here. There was no warning of this nature in the article...people should move here with eyes wide open. And they won't really open wide until they have lived here awhile. Lower prices (and that is questionable) are not the only reason to move here; nor is climate. We all know that, but the article painted an unrealistically rosy picture. PLEASE don't send people here who will spend all their time complaining (to people like us) and eventually go back home, leaving a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, especially our gentle hosts.

thriftqueen

Sep 16, 2008, 8:34 PM

Post #13 of 14 (5097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kwschopf] México rated best place to retire

I'm confused - what article are you commenting on?? I did not even go to the best places for retirement article that began this thread. I was not interested in what others speculate about. As Ron stated what makes one happy is not the other's cup of tequila. I was simply agreeing with Ron's statement. We have lived in Mexico for 11 years and are at home here, cultural differences and all. I do not live in an American enclave but a total Mexican barrio. I an an unapologetic type A but have had no problem adjusting to Mexico. I just shrug and say, that's Mexico.

The article I was mentioning was in this month's Mexico Connect. It was simply the story of a couple who moved to Mexico and loved it, made a wonderful life for themselves until the wife suddenly died. The husband being older became ill and moved back to the states to be near family and Medicare paid healthcare.

kwschopf

Sep 16, 2008, 9:17 PM

Post #14 of 14 (5087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] México rated best place to retire

So sorry if I was confusing issues, TQ - I was referring to the original article from International Living, which IS the title of this thread. Maybe "Type A" was the wrong choice of words...I guess I was also a bit of a Type A, actually. We also live in a Mexican neighborhood, and we are very happy here. I've just seen alot of people here in our community lately who came here with unrealistic expectations (which the original article seems to encourage) and make alot of noise about interfering with local political processes to change things, trying to draw others in as well. My own gripe, I guess...I apologize if I misinterpreted the discussion.

(This post was edited by kwschopf on Sep 16, 2008, 9:18 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4