Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Chuck77

Sep 6, 2008, 4:25 PM

Post #1 of 6 (6026 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara to Lake Chapala

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be spending approximately ten days in the Lake Chapala area just after Thanksgiving or the first week of January, February, or March. Is it necessary to rent a car to get from the airport in Guadalajara which I'm also thinking of using to explore the Lake area (and possibly explore Guadalajara although that may be a bit too ambitious)? I also wonder how far, in miles, it is from the Guadalajara airport to Lake Chapala. Thanks in advance for your response.

bournemouth

Sep 6, 2008, 4:28 PM

Post #2 of 6 (6022 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chuck77] Guadalajara to Lake Chapala

I think it's about 20 miles from the airport to Ajijic - a 30 minute drive to Ajijic, more or less. Come out of the airport, turn right and keep going, following the Chapala signs. When you get to the edge of Chapala, there will be a sign taking you off to the right for Ajijic to Jocotepec, if that is where you are going to be staying.

Georgia

Sep 7, 2008, 5:02 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5977 views)

Shortcut

We have a Garmin GPS system, and it guides us nicely through Guadalajara. If you're going to drive there, I highly recommend it.

bournemouth

Sep 7, 2008, 7:16 PM

Post #4 of 6 (5959 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Guadalajara to Lake Chapala

Georgia - did you get the Mexican maps down here? The whole thing down here? I keep thinking that one would be a good idea.

RickS

Sep 7, 2008, 8:03 PM

Post #5 of 6 (5951 views)

Shortcut

You can rent a car at the Guad. airport ('all' the majors are there.... National, Hertz, Avis, Budget etc. and can be reserved on the Internet or telephone from the US). But there are taxis there also that go to Ajijic (30 minutes) for a fixed rate ($25-35?). They all know where Ajijic is, but you should have a good idea as to your destination address, preferably in Spanish, as they would not know how to get to every house, hotel or B&B. You can grab some pesos while in the airport but I would wait until you get to Ajijic for a better rate for your 'major' exchange.

You can also arrange for a car rental once you are settled into Ajijic. There are several places that rent and they are about the same price as the airport. Another way to get around the Lakeside villages is to take a local bus. They are cheap (6-8 pesos) and it is one way to 'get acquainted' with the villages as the buses go from one to another. You could ride from Ajijic to Chapala and get to see San Antonio as the bus dips down into that village. Walk around Chapala and then catch another bus (another 6-8 pesos) back to Ajijic. Ask around as to how to distinquish the local buses from one that is going to another town... as they sometimes look just alike.

If you don't already have one, here is a nice map of Lakeside... click on the map anywhere and it will download a .pdf file. Then scroll right/left up/down to see all that is there, including down to the street level.
http://www.2casarentals.com/areamap.php
Paper maps similar to this are available at many places at Lakeside.

Exploring Guadalajara first time by yourself in a car is not my idea of a good way to see it. I'd pick out some places I'd like to see and 'take a tour' there. Or there are 'guides/drivers' available in Ajijic that will drive you up there and take you around to the places you'd like to see. Sounds expensive but it really is not very and you'll actually accomplish what you want to accomplish.... see Guadalajara .....rather than trying to negotiate serious traffic and get lost/frustrated 15 times!

Enjoy your trip.

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 7, 2008, 8:12 PM)

Georgia

Sep 7, 2008, 8:12 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Guadalajara to Lake Chapala - Garmin purchase

No. I purchased the Garmin in the US and ordered the Mexico chip online. The prices have come waaaaay down since I bought mine. Husband agrees that the higher price then didn't matter: cheaper than a divorce over our "chats" whilest traversing the name changing, direction changing, bifurcating streets of Guadalajara while trying to find our location on a Guia Roji map and looking for non-existant or hidden street signs.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4