Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

quevedo

Sep 10, 2008, 8:34 AM

Post #26 of 48 (12774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Realismo mágico

Can't Post |
- Siento como si alguien caminara sobre nosotros.
- Ya déjate de miedos. Nadie te puede dar ya miedo.
Haz por pensar en cosas agradables porque vamos a estar mucho tiempo enterrados.

Juan Rulfo, Pedro Páramo

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 10, 2008, 9:25 AM

Post #27 of 48 (12766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Realismo mágico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Esa parte siempre me da escalofrío. Así como esto:

Digo para siempre.
Tengo memoria de haber visto algo así como nubes espumosas haciendo remolino sobre mi cabeza y luego enjuagarme con aquella espuma y perderme en su nublazón. Fue lo último que vi.

quevedo

Sep 10, 2008, 10:25 AM

Post #28 of 48 (12757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] A translation

Can't Post |
- I feel like somebody is walking over us.
- Stop fearing. Nobody can frighten you now
. Just think about pleasant things because we are going to be buried for a long time.

Juan Rulfo, Pedro Páramo

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 10, 2008, 12:39 PM

Post #29 of 48 (12751 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Realismo mágico

A translation, following Quevedo's example:

I said forever.
I remember seeing something like clouds whirling around my head and surrounding me with their vapor before I lost myself in the mist. That was the last thing I saw.

(This post was edited by sergiogomez on Sep 10, 2008, 12:40 PM)

quevedo

Sep 10, 2008, 9:15 PM

Post #30 of 48 (12721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Digo

Can't Post |
Excellent! Thanks.

A question. If I digo, present, should not the translation read, I say forever?

Salud y saludos, Olivia de los olivos.

Quevedo

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 10, 2008, 10:45 PM

Post #31 of 48 (12716 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Digo

Digo, I say. That's the literal translation, correct. I translated it as "said" because...bueno, hay una buena razón, pero ahorita estoy cansadísima y lo único que se me ocurre es que así suena mejor. I remember now. It's because in English, it's not common to use "I say" for emphasis the same way "yo digo" is used in Spanish. Of course, you can say "I say" and it's technically correct, but someone who says that would sound somewhat archaic, self-centered, and arrogant. Eso es, suena muy arrogante, lo usual es decir "I said", suena mucho más suave y significa lo mismo que "yo digo" en español. Even though the tense is different. It's a cultural thing that can't really be explained by looking at the words themselves. Does that make sense?

jerezano

Sep 11, 2008, 7:48 AM

Post #32 of 48 (12705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Digo/

Hello,

I like the translations given so far. To put them in what I think is a bit more of the vernacular English of the United States I have added my own translations:

Siento como si alguien caminara sobre nosotros.
- Ya déjate de miedos. Nadie te puede dar ya miedo. Haz por pensar en cosas agradables porque vamos a estar mucho tiempo enterrados.

- I feel like somebody is walking over us.
- Stop fearing. Nobody can frighten you now. Just think about pleasant things because we are going to be buried for a long time.

My own translation:>>>>>>>I feel as if somebody is walking on our graves.
Don't be afraid. No one can scare you now. Think about pleasent things because we are going to be buried here for a long, long time.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Digo para siempre.
Tengo memoria de haber visto algo así como nubes espumosas haciendo remolino sobre mi cabeza y luego enjuagarme con aquella espuma y perderme en su nublazón. Fue lo último que vi

I said forever.
I remember seeing something like clouds whirling around my head and surrounding me with their vapor before I lost myself in the mist. That was the last thing I saw.

My own translation:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I alway say:
I remember having seen something like a heavy fog swirlling about my head and then soaking me before I got lost in it. That was the last thing I remember.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

My translations are quite liberal but in my own mind they capture the ideas of the author in everyday American English.

Let's keep this kind of thing going.

jerezano.

prmjcm

Sep 11, 2008, 8:28 AM

Post #33 of 48 (12703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Digo/

Yes please keep the love poems going they are beautiful and I copy and paste them to my beautiful mexican girlfriend.
Pat in San Pancho, GTO

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 11, 2008, 9:39 AM

Post #34 of 48 (12695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] Digo/

Music is poetry, too! This is one of my favorites.

Las horas mas lindas las paso contigo si.
No quiero ni pensar si un dia me faltas tu
no quiero ni pensarlo amor.
Tu me acostumbraste a ser como un nino.
No quiero ni pensar si un dia me faltas tu
no quiero ni pensarlo amor.

Pideme la luna te la bajare,
pideme una estrella hasta alla me ire.
Mas nunca me digas no te quiero mas
porque esas palabras me hacen mucho mal.
Pideme la vida y te demostrare
cuanto yo te quise y cuanto te amare.
Tu fuiste y has sido para mi el amor
regalo mas lindo que me ha dado Dios.

Oscar2

Sep 11, 2008, 10:09 AM

Post #35 of 48 (12691 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prmjcm] Digo/

Personally, I agree with Jerezano and Prmjcm, we need more of same and I too am tremendously enjoying the flair in the Spanish language which gives it an edge pierced by poetry and romantic phrases. It gives rise to a new spirited interest and better understanding of the word.

English translations are a challenge and are not for the faint of heart; it is imaginative, artful and is touched by personal persuasion. Yes, as Jerezano put it, English translations sometimes can best be served by ones own liberal but yet English stylized ingredient.

Here is another phrase which delivers something caught between interpretation:

Si amándote es erróneo, entonces, no quiero tener razón.

Loving you is not wrong, nor needs reason, it just is.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Sep 11, 2008, 11:29 AM)

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 11, 2008, 1:50 PM

Post #36 of 48 (12671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Digo/

Reminds me of a song that always makes me smile:

Tú tienes mi amor. Si amarte es pecado, quiero ser pecador.

Spanish is a lot more flexible and creative than English in many ways, which makes it fun. Someone said once that every Mexican is a born poet just because the language lends itself to wordplay and poetry (well, every Spanish-speaker, but whoever wrote it was biased toward Mexicans!).

Take this, for example. Poquitote. Poco + ito (little) + ote (a lot). So which is it, a little or a lot? My boyfriend pulled this word out of the closet once when someone at a party claimed to just want a little food and ended up eating a lot.

quevedo

Sep 11, 2008, 7:06 PM

Post #37 of 48 (12652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] I feel as if somebody is walking on our graves

Can't Post |
Amigo Jerezano, you don't know those are voices from the dead until you reach the end of the phrase. In Pedro Páramo time jumps forward and backwards; you never really know when you are; who is alive and who is dead. Adding "on our graves" to the translation takes all realismo mágico from the text.

Saludos cordiales,

Quevedo

quevedo

Sep 11, 2008, 7:14 PM

Post #38 of 48 (12649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Si amarte

Can't Post |
I think the phrase should read, Si amarte es erróneo, entonces no quiero tener razón. If loving you is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Am I right or wrong?

Quevedo

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 11, 2008, 7:53 PM

Post #39 of 48 (12645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Si amarte

Absolutamente correcto. ¡Qué romántico!

Oscar2

Sep 12, 2008, 9:50 AM

Post #40 of 48 (12629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Digo/

While with friends we made in Aguascalientes, after having had dinner in their home I opted to treat them to desert somewhere in their nice city where they served crepes. With lip smacking enthusiasm we were off and seated in a quaint little specialty restaurant with smiling waitresses and to die for crepes.

I particularly noticed when I enjoyed using my favorite word describing something delicious, I looked at our company and said que sabrosito. Of which, my friends girlfriend quickly smiled and said, se muy rico.

I later realized the term sabrosito seems to be subbed out with muy rico or rica. For some reason or another, to me it feels like when sabrosito is used it carries with it un pocito mas cariño. The “ito” = mas pequeño, is almost like saying or adding something which feels kind of cute, pleasant or bit more satisfying but than again maybe its just me.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Sep 12, 2008, 12:12 PM)

Oscar2

Sep 12, 2008, 10:00 AM

Post #41 of 48 (12628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] Si amarte

Si amarte es erróneo, entonces no quiero tener razón. If loving you is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Am I right or wrong?

Quevedo, your translation is literally correct and of which I’ve seen before. The bent I put on it is purely personal, albeit not literally correct. It’s an English liberal take understood and expressed in ones own fashion. In essence, its individualism embodies the heart of what it personally means to its writer. Your indulgence allows us to liberally spread our wings and flaunt our feathers with imagination. As Olivia made clear, Mexicans have been given a gift of a language, which makes them poets, and phrasemakers that can:. cantar las palomas del cielo

“entonces no quiero tener razón” says to me, I don’t want to have reason. Of which razon = reason. Perhaps this is why I went with what I felt. I like this, this is fun and good, it allows one to flex and stretch. Gracias

quevedo

Sep 12, 2008, 11:45 PM

Post #42 of 48 (12609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Muchas gracias

Can't Post |
Amigo Oscar, gracias for your kind words.

Saludos cordiales,

Quevedo

Georgia

Sep 23, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #43 of 48 (12565 views)

Shortcut

Hey, Oscar, get hip. There is a popular song of the last couple of years (or is it the last twenty - I've lost track): If lovin' you is wrong, I don't wanna be right." Right on, Quevedo.

Oscar2

Sep 23, 2008, 2:19 PM

Post #44 of 48 (12561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Si amarte

Well smack my britches Georgia! You are absolutely right! My Alzheimer’s relentlessly kicks in, in the most inopportune moments, of course, leaving me stranded in a wasteland of doubt of which, sometimes I forget what I had for breakfast. Yes, I have heard that song somewhere, sometime - en las nubes de me vida. But you know, I didn’t connect it at the time. Gracia’s

Georgia

Sep 23, 2008, 2:21 PM

Post #45 of 48 (12559 views)

Shortcut

I will pass on smacking your britches, Oscar. Are you sure it's Alzheimer's and not Anheiser's?

Oscar2

Sep 23, 2008, 2:35 PM

Post #46 of 48 (12555 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Si amarte

It's a beautiful warm day outside today, and if that's an invitation, una fria, sounds terrific.

sergiogomez / Moderator

Sep 23, 2008, 2:59 PM

Post #47 of 48 (12552 views)

Shortcut

¡Tómese una por mi, pues!

I'm out (of beer), and so much the better because I need to study, but that isn't stopping me from enjoying a nice piña colada. Homemade. Hmm, maybe I should post something in the cooking section.

Oscar2

Sep 23, 2008, 3:34 PM

Post #48 of 48 (12550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sergiogomez] Si amarte

Y porque no, siempre con mucho gusto!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4