Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Aug 31, 2008, 8:54 PM

Post #1 of 8 (10852 views)

Shortcut

Saludos desde Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
¡Hola amigos costeños!
Things sure have been quiet on this forum!! I guess no one likes the Gulf of Mexico, or else everyone knows everthing there is to know about it(or doesn't give a damned!).
Well, life goes on in this part of the world, and I have been working hard to try to get bored here, but it never seems to happen. There is always something going on in Xalapa and the surrounding area, like Jazzfest, or a theater encounter, a 30 folklore harpist summit, or an architect seminar, or ecosystems development, or mushroom collecting, or God knows what else, but I never get bored! We have mountain biking, walking, ornathology, knitting, bridge, Danzon, singing, ceramics, jarana and jewlery making talleres, kids going to school with mothers honking their Hummers, transitos blowing their whistles, smog pumped out of buses, PRD meetings blocking traffic as we ride our bicycles through the crowd, hundreds of butterflies fluttering into the air as we bicycle to Coatepec on the dirt road near La Orduña. Of course you can flee from the two dozen gringos in Xalapa to other villages like Cosautlan, Teocelo, Naolinco, etc., etc. and work on getting bored there.
Anyway, folks, please let me know if anybody is alive out there.
¡Muchas gracias, y me quedo a sus estimados ordenes!
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, sin mirar a quien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

smokesilver

Aug 31, 2008, 9:00 PM

Post #2 of 8 (10846 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Saludos desde Xalapa

I, for one, am alive and well...while always looking forward to more news about what's going on in your 'neck of the woods'. Silence does not necessarily infer indifference. Thanks.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Sep 1, 2008, 9:01 AM

Post #3 of 8 (10827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] Saludos desde Xalapa

Smokesilver:
Good to hear from you! Yesterday I was really enthused after an energizing bicycle ride with our activist group to the nearby "Pueblo Magico" of Coatepec; hopefully it looks like our bikeway network will get support from a United Nations project in this area. Xalapa really needs help with so much traffic, especially in the downtown area where most of my activity is done. It sure feels good to see some light at the end of the tunnel!
Well, today I have as usual lots of things to get done. Have to go to Monte Blanco to pick up the new bamboo furniture for my photography studio.
As always...
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, sin mirar a quien!

smokesilver

Sep 1, 2008, 2:32 PM

Post #4 of 8 (10812 views)

Shortcut

I have been reading your articles and anecdotes since about 2000 or sooner. Always like to hear from you. By the way, my wife & I are hoping on visiting Veracruz(state of) in the future. Xalapa will be on our itinerary whenever it happens.

frosti

Sep 5, 2008, 7:13 PM

Post #5 of 8 (10770 views)

Shortcut

You are correct about so many things to do in Veracruz. I plan on flying into Brownsville and catching a bus in Matamoros and heading to Veracruz city. I'll be 62 in November and heading back to school, The Language Immersion School Veracruz City, need to learn the lingo and it's not easy at my age. After the school is over I'll be heading to Xalapa for a few days and then back to Tennessee. Maybe I'll bring my banjo and sit in the park and play next year when I get back to Xalapa.

hunteradvisor

Sep 11, 2008, 5:16 AM

Post #6 of 8 (10715 views)

Shortcut

My husband and I are headed your way Feb. 09. We have a ranch onthe west coast 2 hours south of Puerto Vallarta in a tiny village not on any map. We are the only Gringos there. We also have a postage stamp lot with a concrete bunker on it in GTO that we hope to convert to a 1bedroom apt. this winter so we have a place to stay when we are in school there and to rent out otherwise. We still work NOB and so have to be content at the moment taking 3 months at the beginning of the year (our slow season) and short trips the remainder. We are east coasters, Maine/New Hampshire and wonder why the heck we didn't fall in love with your side of the country, well we are on our way! We will be in our pick up truck camper and could use suggestions for sites, or an inexpensive rental. We would expect to be around for 2-3 weeks to explore your piece of paradise.
Thanks in advance,
Holly
www.hunteradvisorllc.com
holly@hunteradvisorllc.com
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Sep 11, 2008, 9:52 PM

Post #7 of 8 (10692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] Saludos desde Xalapa

Isabel and all:
Xalapa is a growing city, bursting at the seams with traffic. I just got back from those bastians of Gringolandia, Costco and Home Depot and Iprefer going to the Ferreteria Onofre on Clavijero for much more personalized service. I was at Onofre yesterday to buy a tinaco(water storage tank) for my solar water heater(need more pressure), and was helped by a friendly girl who recommended I buy a bigger tank for a little more money as well as the really well made base for the tank. The advantage was that I could ride my bicycle to the store and also the merchandise was delived to my home.
The wall mount I was going to buy for my new 32" flat screen TV turned out to be very shoddy quality at Home Depot, so I will go to the Hogar Electrico to buy a better and cheaper one.

jerezano

Sep 13, 2008, 7:33 AM

Post #8 of 8 (10669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunter] Saludos desde Xalapa

Hello Isabel,

I'm surprised at the reticence of Gringo Jalepeño when you asked about inexpensive rentals. Perhaps he private messaged you that he has a couple of rental units there in Xalapa. Or perhaps he has those rented out and not available. Anyway, private message him and ask.

jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4