Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

sioux4noff

Aug 25, 2008, 6:52 PM

Post #1 of 14 (10607 views)

Shortcut

Piedras Negras - Saltillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
We recently drove south crossing at Eagle Pass, TX to Piedras Negras. We spent the night in Saltillo. The drive was nice, except for going through Monclova. It takes about 1/2 hour to get through the city, with plenty of traffic lights and traffic.
Does anyone know if there's a loop around Monclova? We didn't see one, but maybe we missed a sign.

Rolly

Aug 25, 2008, 7:12 PM

Post #2 of 14 (10603 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Piedras Negras - Saltillo

Good old Monclova, the armpit of northern México.

Rolly Pirate

toddmc

Aug 26, 2008, 8:40 AM

Post #3 of 14 (10572 views)

Shortcut

There is a bypass, that goes around Monclova to the west.

Still has some traffic light but nothing like driving through town.

Todd

sioux4noff

Aug 26, 2008, 9:05 AM

Post #4 of 14 (10567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Piedras Negras - Saltillo

How far out of town is it? And do you recall the name or highway number, is it a cuota? Thanks alot.

toddmc

Aug 26, 2008, 9:49 AM

Post #5 of 14 (10563 views)

Shortcut

It is called hwy 57, it is the same hwy you are driving in and out of town on. It swings about 5 kilometers to the west to skirt the width of the town.
That section of it is called Carretera Entronque Monclova Castanos.

As you can see on the attached map, it is labelled as both.
A little confusing that.

Todd

(This post was edited by toddmc on Aug 26, 2008, 9:50 AM)
Attachments: MBP.jpg (171 KB)

jerezano

Aug 26, 2008, 10:05 AM

Post #6 of 14 (10555 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Yes, there is a bypass around Monclova. But I disagree with Rolly. I rather like Monclova. I found the city center rather attractive and there used to be a good hotel right there on the city center. I once, years ago, spent a rather pleasant night in the city.

jerezano.

sioux4noff

Aug 26, 2008, 10:34 AM

Post #7 of 14 (10549 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for the map and details. We must have missed a turn as we were on Harold Papae Blvd a long time. I remember the name for 2 reasons - my husband's name is Harold, and we also thought that Harold Pape was an interesting name for a street in Mexico, pretty un-Mexican sounding

jerezano

Aug 26, 2008, 6:45 PM

Post #8 of 14 (10524 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Harold Pape (pronounced PAH peh in Mexico but Payp in Texas) is a rather famous name in Texas Oil. I have always wondered how it got applied to Monclova. There has to be an interesting story there.

jerezano.

tonyburton

Aug 26, 2008, 7:17 PM

Post #9 of 14 (10518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Piedras Negras - Saltillo

Your wish is my command...
Monclova, often nicknamed "The Steel Capital", grew into prominence with the rise of the Altos Hornos de México (Ahmsa) iron and steelworks, founded in 1942 (or thereabouts) by one Harold Pape, apparently an individual of German extraction. The city now has not only a street named after him. but also a very superior museum-library, the Museo Biblioteca Pape.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Aug 26, 2008, 7:18 PM)

sioux4noff

Aug 26, 2008, 7:28 PM

Post #10 of 14 (10513 views)

Shortcut

On th Monclova website: http://www.monclova.gob.mx/...oria_HaroldPape.html

Judy in Ags

Aug 30, 2008, 7:46 AM

Post #11 of 14 (10454 views)

Shortcut

"There is a bypass, that goes around Monclova to the west.

Still has some traffic light but nothing like driving through town."

Are you talking about the "bypass" which, although you don't go directly through the city, you still are obligated to drive about 40 km an hour? If there is another way, we would love to know, because for us that is the worst part of our trip north.

BTW, we never go THROUGH Satillo either.

jerezano

Aug 31, 2008, 7:33 AM

Post #12 of 14 (10416 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Piedras Negras - Saltillo

Hello,

Judy in Ags said:>>BTW, we never go THROUGH Satillo either.<<

Judy is right. Nobody in his/her right mind would actually drive THROUGH the city center of Saltillo.

The periférico around Saltillo is changing. It is still under construction but the detours are now limited to only one or two and the new overpasses, bypasses, and most other structures are actually working. I too prefer driving the extra 60 KM or so completely around the city turning right at the Chrysler Factory (General Cepeda intersection) and up over the two divides and down through Los Chorros Canyon into Ramos Arizpe. This is all high speed highway with excellent surfacing and quota and is the obligatory trucking route. This, at the speeds I drive usually is just about an hour. It used to take about 45 minutes on the Saltillo Periférico from the General Cepeda intersection to Ramos Arizpe in light traffic and and hour and a quarter in heavy traffic plus all the extra hazards of that traffic. I hated driving that periférico around Saltillo. I still do.

With the advance in construction the time through Saltillo on the Periférico is now 1/2 hour to 45 minutes even in heavy traffic and including the detours. I still don't like the risks of the traffic although a Mexican friend prefers the periférico rather than than the highway route which I prefer. I find the peaceful and safe highway driving to be worth the extra time, gasoline, and quota (about $7[?]) usd.

Of course if you take the highway route I like when you reach Ramos Arizpe you will have to back track toward Saltillo to pick up the Monclova highway. That would be an extra 5 to ten minutes or so.

jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 31, 2008, 7:35 AM)

pana

Aug 31, 2008, 6:35 PM

Post #13 of 14 (10391 views)

Shortcut

I see a highway on the satellite that looks new and bypasses Monclova to the EAST. What is that? It looks like very few roads intersect it. Starts a few miles north of where MX57 splits at what looks like a water park? and rejoins MX57 at Castanos.

Pana

toddmc

Sep 6, 2008, 1:19 PM

Post #14 of 14 (10320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Piedras Negras - Saltillo

That sounds about right Judy!

I cant remember how fast I could go, but it was faster than going through town, but slower than highway speeds.

Todd

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4