Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sioux4noff

Aug 25, 2008, 4:14 PM

Post #1 of 34 (28056 views)

Shortcut

getting a CURP

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone (foreigner with FM3) gotten a CURP recently? If so, could you please tell me the procedure. I tried searching here but couldn't find any recent info. Thanks.

jl1

Aug 25, 2008, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 34 (28035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] getting a CURP

I would respectfully ask that posters who use acronyms not assume that all of us know what that acronym stands for. So, What's a CURP? Thanks.

Brian

Aug 25, 2008, 6:10 PM

Post #3 of 34 (28025 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] getting a CURP

It is a national ID. Acronym stands for Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion. I got mine assigned when I got my first Mexican driver license.

johanson

Aug 25, 2008, 6:29 PM

Post #4 of 34 (28012 views)

Shortcut

[jl1] Posted "I would respectfully ask that posters who use acronyms not assume that all of us know what that acronym stands for. So, What's a CURP? Thanks." An even faster way than posting the question to find out what CURP stands for, would be to enter "CURP, Mexico" into your favorite search engine. When I entered same into Google, I got many definitions some of which were even in English.

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 25, 2008, 8:20 PM)

sioux4noff

Aug 25, 2008, 6:47 PM

Post #5 of 34 (28003 views)

Shortcut

Respectfully, I'd say if you don't know what a CURP is, you probably haven't gotten one recently and would not be able to answer the question.
And I knew what it is, as far as being an ID, but didn't know (or care) what the letters stood for.
When I Googled it, I didn't see any help on gettng one.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Aug 25, 2008, 6:49 PM)

jennifer rose

Aug 25, 2008, 7:25 PM

Post #6 of 34 (27990 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
See http://curp.troyaestrategias.com/

You can apply at one of the offices near you. See http://curp.troyaestrategias.com/directorio.htm

All I needed was my carta de naturalizacion and a comprabante de domicilio. But then I'm a Mexican.

jl1

Aug 25, 2008, 10:29 PM

Post #7 of 34 (27953 views)

Shortcut

Huh? Would you read your first sentence and see if you can somehow relate it to my request? I sure can't. I asked a legitmitate question as politely as I could. I don't understand why you felt the need to respond with sarcasm.

sandykayak

Aug 26, 2008, 8:37 AM

Post #8 of 34 (27905 views)

Shortcut

I'm with jl1...we shouldn't all have to google when a simple explanation at the beginning would have sufficed. From knowledge Spanish (and not clicking on the links) I deduce that this is a sort of census identifier.
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

jl1

Aug 26, 2008, 9:15 AM

Post #9 of 34 (27889 views)

Shortcut

I want to say that I don't mind Googling. It's just that I'm fairly new to computer use and it would not have occurred to me to Google an acronym. I also was not asking for a literal translation, just an explanation of what the card is used for. Thanks.

jerezano

Aug 26, 2008, 9:38 AM

Post #10 of 34 (27878 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

First of all the CURP is free. Second it is a Unique Registration number for every individual in Mexico, whether citizen or foreigner. (The Spanish transliteration is in one of the posts above).Third you get it at the nearest municipal center (not city but municipio or county-seat). Perhaps some large cities which are not county-seats also have a CURP office. That I don't know, but go to any city hall and ask and they will guide you.

The CURP is very useful. It is composed of initials of your fathers last name, your mother's maiden name, and your own Christian name. It then lists your birthdate and finally ends with numbers for the office of issuance. It is used for everything, but not required for everything. If you establish a bank account, some banks will ask for it. If you get married you will be asked for it. If you register for classes at a public instution you will be asked for it. It is now a required datum included on your new Mexican driver's license. Etc.

Again it is free. I recommend you get one, even though you may never use it, just as I recommend you get a Mexican Driver's license.

Documents required? I can't remember but obviously some proof of birth like a birth certificate, your passport maybe, your immigration document, probably.

Things to watch out for. Make sure that your surname and the surname(maiden name) of your mother are correct. The clerk may look at your passport which usually shows your Christian names and your surname and assume Mexican style that the Christian middle name Audubon of John Audubon Doe is your surname and the Doe is the maiden name of your mother. That will give you a completely wrong CURP and so far as records are concerned you are not registered. So be sure and give him the maiden surname of your mother. And then check before the document is submitted.

jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 26, 2008, 9:50 AM)

sioux4noff

Aug 26, 2008, 10:40 AM

Post #11 of 34 (27868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] getting a CURP

Thank you very much. My friend said IMSS says she needs a CURP in order to renew her IMSS coverage. We'll head out tot he Presedencia and check it out. It may take 2 trips, but we'll start early.

Ed and Fran

Aug 26, 2008, 10:59 AM

Post #12 of 34 (27861 views)

Shortcut

Just a couple of minor comments.

It is now a required datum included on your new Mexican driver's license.

That may vary by state. Fran just renewed her license here in Veracruz. While the license has a place for the CURP, it was not one of the required documents to present at renewal, and her issued license just has a blank in that spot.

.....just as I recommend you get a Mexican Driver's license.

And whether a foreigner can even get a Mexican driver's license also varies by state. For example, here in Veracruz you need an FM2 to get a license. FM3 holders need not apply.

Regards

Ed

esperanza

Aug 26, 2008, 11:39 AM

Post #13 of 34 (27850 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hello,

First of all the CURP is free. Second it is a Unique Registration number for every individual in Mexico, whether citizen or foreigner. (The Spanish transliteration is in one of the posts above).Third you get it at the nearest municipal center (not city but municipio or county-seat). Perhaps some large cities which are not county-seats also have a CURP office. That I don't know, but go to any city hall and ask and they will guide you.

The CURP is very useful. It is composed of initials of your fathers last name, your mother's maiden name, and your own Christian name. It then lists your birthdate and finally ends with numbers for the office of issuance. It is used for everything, but not required for everything. If you establish a bank account, some banks will ask for it. If you get married you will be asked for it. If you register for classes at a public instution you will be asked for it. It is now a required datum included on your new Mexican driver's license. Etc.

Again it is free. I recommend you get one, even though you may never use it, just as I recommend you get a Mexican Driver's license.

Documents required? I can't remember but obviously some proof of birth like a birth certificate, your passport maybe, your immigration document, probably.

Things to watch out for. Make sure that your surname and the surname(maiden name) of your mother are correct. The clerk may look at your passport which usually shows your Christian names and your surname and assume Mexican style that the Christian middle name Audubon of John Audubon Doe is your surname and the Doe is the maiden name of your mother. That will give you a completely wrong CURP and so far as records are concerned you are not registered. So be sure and give him the maiden surname of your mother. And then check before the document is submitted.

jerezano.

As Ed mentioned, things do differ from state to state--and even from person to person. I've lived in Mexico since long before there was such a thing as the CURP. I've applied and re-applied for an FM-3, applied for and received the INAPAM card, opened bank accounts, gotten telephone service, applied for and renewed drivers licenses, purchased a car, bought license plates in two states, and applied for and been granted Mexican citizenship, all without need for a CURP. If asked for my CURP, I simply say I don't have one. No one has ever insisted or even suggested that I run right off and get one.

YMMV.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

IslaZina

Aug 26, 2008, 12:20 PM

Post #14 of 34 (27840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] getting a CURP

I got one when I changed from a corporation to a persona fisica. I got it from SAT, aka the Hacienda. It was fast and free. They made an error in my birthday. tha twas three years ago. I went to the Hacienda last week to get a clave, an electronic key, for my accountant to use in months I have no income. Otherwise, he was handling my declarations at the bank. There is an error in it...the birthdate is wrong. I am probably going for an FM 2 now, so...
They quickly set up an appointment for me to come back on the 12th with my documents so they can correct it. So, in summary, I think you get it at SAT offices everywhere in the country. Or maybe just in Quintana Roo!
http://islazina@blogspot.com

Rolly

Aug 26, 2008, 12:41 PM

Post #15 of 34 (27830 views)

Shortcut

Re: getting a CURP

Years ago when I opened an account at Banamex, they got a CURP for me without even telling me. I saw it on the bank statement and wondered what it was. I checked it out. What I did not notice until a few minutes ago is that the family name initials are wrong and my birthday is wrong on the CURP on my driver's license. I guess I don't care enough to bother with it.

Rolly Pirate

Ed and Fran

Aug 26, 2008, 12:43 PM

Post #16 of 34 (27829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [IslaZina] getting a CURP

So, in summary, I think you get it at SAT offices everywhere in the country. Or maybe just in Quintana Roo!

Or maybe just in the Municipio in which you live. Like many (most?) other things down here, there isn't usually one way to do it that's consistent across the country.

Here in Tuxpan, Veracruz, you get it at the Palacio Municipal.

jerezano

Aug 26, 2008, 1:03 PM

Post #17 of 34 (27825 views)

Shortcut

Re: [IslaZina] getting a CURP

Hello,

Ed and Fran and Esperanza are all quite right. Each state issues its own Mexican Driver's license and every state has its own regulations. Here in Zacatecas the state is issuing new licenses with data incorporated in a swipe card. Our state is now demanding that all license applicants furnish a CURP and depending on the office will or will not insist. Here in Jerez they insisted. No CURP, no license.

Esperanza and I have both lived here in Mexico for years. I got here in 1988 and the CURP program had already been established but hardly anyone had ever heard of it. As the years went by and schools began demanding the CURP for their students and as other organizations also began asking for it the CURP has become more universal. Now the CURP number is a given for all students from kinder through the University of Zacatecas. But I had never been required to furnish my CURP until this year when I renewed my Mexican Driver's License. While I was asked for the CURP when I opened a bank account they accepted the fact that I didn't have one.

In other words, the CURP is not mandatory. But there are some things from which you may be barred if you don't have one.

Again it is free. Or at least it has always been free in the past. Go to your county-seat(the Palacio Municipal)and ask where to get a CURP. They will give you the information.

jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 26, 2008, 1:09 PM)

Carol_Wheeler

Aug 26, 2008, 1:42 PM

Post #18 of 34 (27814 views)

Shortcut

When I opened an account at Lloyd-Actinver, the account executive obtained my CURP and those of my adult children who sign on the account.

I recall a Mexican website where you input your information and the CURP is automatically generated, but I'll have to look for it.

Here it is:
http://www.tramitanet.gob.mx/index.html

I just skimmed the page but it seems as though it's doable... Jerezano? Esperanza? Manera de presentar el trámite
ELECTRÓNICO A TRAVÉS DE INTERNET.

(This post was edited by Carol_Wheeler on Aug 26, 2008, 1:50 PM)

jerezano

Aug 26, 2008, 6:10 PM

Post #19 of 34 (27784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol_Wheeler] getting a CURP

Hello all,

Thanks to Carol_Wheeler for the URL for the Mexican Government Tramitanet.

Unfortunately, Carol, the application document doesn't appear "doeable". At least not at 7:00 PM on August 26, 2008. When I clicked on the "Iniciar" link to bring up the document I got the message "The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling the request." Thinking this might just be a temporary glitch I then tried 4 more times to always get the same message. Maybe some of you may be a bit luckier.

Too, the Tramitanet web page is completely in Spanish--and not an easy Spanish either. It contains words like homoclave which my Oxford Spanish-English dictionary doesn't yet contain nor did I find it in the Royal Academy Dictionary.

Yet the web page did provide a complete explanation on how the CURP is developed. I will translate that description for you so that you can work on your own name and see if you can develop the number. That will be a good puzzle for some spare time. Later when you make application you can check to see how well you did.

The CURP consists of a combination of 18 Capital letters and numbers. It will say for example that John Christian Adamson Smith was born in a foreign country on June 6 1950. And that he is male (Hombre) I will work out John Christian Adamason Smith for you just to see if I can do it. And to see if you can follow along with me.

JOHN CHRISTIAN ADAMSON SMITH
AASJ500606HNEDMH[0?][5?]

AA First letter of father's (his) surname plus the following first vowel.
S First letter of mother's maiden surname.
C First letter of first Christian name.
50 year of birth
06 month of birth
06 day of birth
H hombre (male) I guess they use M for mujer (female)
N Nacionalidad (a guess because N is what is on mine)
E Extranjero (also a guess because E is what is on mine)
DMH First internal consonant of father's (also John's) surname. First internal consonant of mother's maiden surname. First internal consonant of first Christian name
0 Homoclave an element to prevent duplication of registration. This may change depending on how they assign homoclaves.
5 verification digit. This may also change depending on how they assign verification digits.

Did I go wrong somewhere along the way? Wouldn't surprise me.

Now why get a CURP? Well in 1996 the President of Mexico said in the official Diary that the CURP would be used in the future for all administrative activities of the Federal Government. So if you want something from a Federal office they will probably ask you for your CURP. It is then up to them to demand a put up or shut up action if they want to do so.

It is planned that the CURP will be included on all of the following documents whether Federal, State, or Municipal.

Birth certificates, marriage certificates, adoption documents, etc.

All health documents: Vacination cards, medical documents, identification documents, etc.

All education documents: Registrations, proof of studies, certificates, school identification documents, etc.

Work documents, applications for employment, individual lists of persons employed, all documents pertaining to individuals, lists of government (federal, state, and municipal) employees, payment receipts, identification papers, etc.

All social security documents: Individual statements of retirement accounts, savings accounts, documents pertaining to individuals, identifications, etc.

All development documents: Development, individual registers, identifications, etc.

As well as pasports, military service cards, driver's licenses, etc.

In other words practically every document that pertains to an individual.

How much of this is mandatory NOW is up for grabs. As I have pointed out on new driver's licenses in the state of Zacatecas it is mandatory, at least in the Jerez office. I suspect in all Zacatecas offices since those new licenses are all swipe cards.

This has been an interesting discussion. I have learned a lot. I hope that all of us can see the future benefit of getting that CURP now instead of being presented with a demand for it. It took me about a half hour to make the application and a week or so to get the number delivered. That was years ago when the demand was not so great.

Hasta luego. jerezano.

jerezano

Aug 26, 2008, 6:18 PM

Post #20 of 34 (27780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carol_Wheeler] getting a CURP

Hello Carol,

You might wish to check those CURP numbers that Lloyd got for you against the Government document which you refer to. Those numbers could well be incorrect as were the CURP numbers which Rolly has on two of his documents.

I have tried to translate the government explanation of how to develop a CURP in another posting.

The method to correct an incorrect CURP seems to be easy. When you get that number issued you should automatically get a application document for corrections. Fill that out and take it to your CURP office. My own number appears to be quite correct so I have not gone through the correction process.

jerezano.

jerezano

Aug 29, 2008, 7:27 AM

Post #21 of 34 (27672 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Just to show the importance of the CURP today's (August 29, 2008) "Sol de Zacatecas" had an article in which the State Secretary of Agriculture was warning the farmers of the region that without a CURP they could not receive subsidies for diesel fuel. And those subsidies are important for tractors and pumps, combines, etc.

jerezano

mazatlanlee

Aug 29, 2008, 3:27 PM

Post #22 of 34 (27637 views)

Shortcut

Curiosity got the best of me, so I dug my CURP out to compare the letters/numbers with what Jerezano's explanation indicates. Everything matches up... except for the two places where the Mother's maiden name (first initial and first internal consonant) should have been.... and, there, they have an 'x' in both places. Interesting.

While I'm thinking of it, can any of our experts in such matters tell me whether the CURP card should be carried in our wallets, or locked away at home. I have a reason for asking this. When I was buying medications amounting to over $1,200 per day for my husband, I could have used more than a cash register receipt, which was not enough to turn in to our insurance for reimbursement. At the Farmacia Moderna, I was always asked for his CURP number.... I knew he had some kind of Mexican registration, but wasn't aware that that was his CURP.... so never took it with me. The Farmacia folks would gladly have printed out an itemized statement for me if I had been able to come up with the right number sequence. We even tried his SS#, but of course, that wouldn't work in their system. Fast forward to this year.... I was buying my own meds, and took my CURP into the farmacia with me, That time, the young lady working didn't understand what I was asking for. (yup, need to work on my Spanish... have made leaps and bounds in the last year, but I'm far from fluent), so again, no itemized statement to turn in to my insurance. I guess my question is two-part: Do you recommend that we carry our CURP cards with us? And, other than for legal transactions, is there any practical use of the CURP card?

Thanks for all your great advice and information! Lee Jacobs (mazatlanlee)

My Photo Albums: www.skping.com
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails

esperanza

Aug 29, 2008, 3:55 PM

Post #23 of 34 (27632 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazatlanlee] getting a CURP

Chances are the farmacia was asking you for an RFC (Registro Federal de Causantes) number, in order to give you a factura (official itemized receipt) rather than a nota (informal receipt). The RFC is yet another kind of tax ID number.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jerezano

Aug 29, 2008, 4:06 PM

Post #24 of 34 (27630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] getting a CURP

Hello,

Should I carry my CURP card in my wallet?

No. I recommend you write the CURP number on a card of some type and carry it with you, but not the CURP card itself. That CURP card is too valuable to lose.

If someone MUST see the card itself you can always take it with you on your next visit.

I would also suggest you visit your CURP office and make the necessary corrections to incorporate the initials of your Mother's maiden surname. That CURP number at some time in the future will be important to you. Even if not now.

jerezano.

mazatlanlee

Aug 29, 2008, 4:23 PM

Post #25 of 34 (27624 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for both replies. Yup, I'll bet that's what they were asking me for, since the young woman this year looked totally confused when I presented my CURP card and asked for a factura (did know what to call it, but it slipped my mind when posting).

I'll make note of the number, and go back this winter for corrections..... especially now that I see they have my day of birth wrong, also.

THANK YOU BOTH!! Lee
Lee's Photos: Beyond the Guardrails
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4