Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

jl1

Aug 23, 2008, 3:41 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5743 views)

Shortcut

Automatic backup generator for water pump

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi Everybody: I am in the final stages of building in Sayulita. Here's my problem. We have a water pump for our ajibe (sp?) with a backup generator. For aesthetic reasons we do not have a tank on our roof. I asked our architect to provide us with a generator that would kick on when the power goes out, without us going down two levels to manually start the generator. The reason for this is that we won't be around all the time and will rent the house out part of the year and would like the convenience, if possible. I assumed that this would require some kind of switching device that would activate when current is lost to the pump and shut off when current was restored. My architect and his electrician are saying that they don't know how to make this work. I am researching it nob but thought somebody out there might have the answer. Please feel free to reply to me privately. Thanks.

johanson

Aug 23, 2008, 6:32 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Automatic backup generator for water pump

This isn't much help. And for that I am sorry. But I have a neighbor who runs a B & B whose husband, before he died, had a generator installed that would automatically started up when the power goes off here in Ajijic. I presume but do not know that the reason it goes off right after the power comes back on is also automatic.

What you are asking about is pretty basic. And electricians and or architects should know the answers to your questions. I know that my photo-voltaic system will send a signal to a self starting generator to start or stop should it be needed. It's just that I don't use a backup generator, I use backup batteries, and hope that the electricity doesn't go off too often.

Do I know how to do what you are asking for? Sadly NO. I just know that it is not that big of a deal and a good electrician would know what to do. A big help I am. :)

Oh and I think the spelling is "aljiba"

DanGair

Aug 24, 2008, 10:09 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5704 views)

Shortcut

What you're after is called an "automatic transfer switch". It monitors the current and sends a signal to turn the gen set on or off as needed. Not sure about the availability in mexico, but Home Depot in the states sells complete backup gen sets with the transfer switching included, starting at about three grand installed. Any good electrician should be able to set you up with a transfer switch for an existing gen set as well.
MexDog

jl1

Aug 24, 2008, 10:13 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Automatic backup generator for water pump

Thanks for the reply. It is good to be reassured that it can be done. I am having my own electrician research it in the States. I am really happy with my architect/builder as far as the overall project is concerned. I have noticed though, that when we ask for something to be done that they haven't done before they get a little evasive. (Not unlike contractors in the states). I'll keep trying to find the parts/solution for them. Thanks again.l

jl1

Aug 24, 2008, 10:15 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DanGair] Automatic backup generator for water pump

Thanks DanGair--You were writing your reply as I was replying to Johansen. That's what I need. Thanks, Forum. J.L.

jl1

Aug 28, 2008, 3:28 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5665 views)

Shortcut

Quick follow-up: The automatic generators are sold under different brand names all over Mexico, but not near P.V. We haven't contacted Home Depot yet, but should be able to get what we need from a dealer in Mx City. thanks again. J.L>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4