Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

NEOhio1

Aug 19, 2008, 1:18 AM

Post #1 of 9 (5917 views)

Shortcut

Visiting 1st week of September

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are trading houses for a week and coming from Ajijic to Mazatlan for a visit. I like markets, architecture, good food. Particularly want a good place to eat on the beach.

What not to miss?

Any day trips you'd recommend.

Thanks.

ncferret

Aug 19, 2008, 6:50 AM

Post #2 of 9 (5907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Visiting 1st week of September

Given what you like, I would say a definite MUST SEE is a walking tour of centro historico including the cathedral and Angela Peralta Theater.

Day trips - Stone Island, of course. Copala (a small mountain town) is a nice adventure as well.

Best food on the beach? Loco Lupe's. On north beach, first palapa south of the "Pulmonia Monument" - across from hotel La Cima. Best bet there is the whole fresh fish cooked Zorandeado.

To be honest, if you really want to get a better response to your questions, the Mazatlan TripAdvisor forum would be a better place to do a little snooping around. Its meant for vacationers.

Have a great time!

Marlene / Moderator

Aug 19, 2008, 8:21 AM

Post #3 of 9 (5893 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Visiting 1st week of September

If you are staying in Olas Altas/Old Mazatlan area, don't miss the Olas Altas Steak House. It's upscale in a remodelled colonial building, with a large varied menu, and right across from the ocean. If you want to get out of the heat and don't care to dine on the patio, there is air conditioning inside the dining room.

ncferret

Aug 19, 2008, 8:47 AM

Post #4 of 9 (5888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Visiting 1st week of September

Right Marlene. The Olas Altas Steak house may be one of Mazatlan's best offerings for upscale food right now. If you like steak, try Ken's coffee encrusted fillet mignon which recently won him first place in Mazatlan's battle of the chefs.

Breakfast is pretty good as well. In fact, I just returned from breakfast there where I had bagels and lox & coffee (75 pesos). Get your car hand washed for 20 pesos while you enjoy your food :)

NEOhio1

Aug 19, 2008, 11:02 AM

Post #5 of 9 (5877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Visiting 1st week of September

We are exchanging houses with Eek in north Mazatlan, and he's very helpful but I thought since there hadn't been much activity here of late that an inquiry would be a good chance for you all to sing praises and mention some new or re-discovered things to do and see.

I am thinking about taking a day tour with Frank but haven't found an active email to contact him about any availability for 4 on his tours that are already scheduled that week. His website just has phone numbers. We would want to go to the brickmaker, tilemaker and furniture carvers. That's a good time for us.

We will also take the catamarran over to Stone Island. How about a referral for snorkeling?

Also I am assuming since its a city that there are parking "lots" where we can take the car into town, leave it, and putz around on pulmonias or taxis.

I am not a shopper but do like to meander, I like buying stuff I just don't like shopping as an activity in and of itself, its boring.

We will want to take a day trip or two. I hear there is a cockfighting farm in El Quilete.

And a funky basic food beach bar referral would be great.

And since Ken spent his college and law school summers working on the Great Lakes ore boats a big thing would be a great place to see ship activity.

Marlene / Moderator

Aug 20, 2008, 11:19 AM

Post #6 of 9 (5845 views)

Shortcut

Here is an email contact I have for "Mazatlan Frank", the tour guide. He's very good and will put together a custom tour for you.

frank@mazatlan-frank.com

colibri1

Aug 30, 2008, 2:16 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5791 views)

Shortcut

WHAT TILE MAKER???!!!???
ANXIOUSLY,
MARIANNE

Esteban

Jan 6, 2009, 2:30 PM

Post #8 of 9 (5694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] Visiting 1st week of September

About 5 years ago there was a company that made hand stained concrete tiles.
I don't think they are still in business.

colibri1

Jan 7, 2009, 5:02 AM

Post #9 of 9 (5667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Visiting 1st week of September

OH WELL, THANKS ANYWAY
M

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4