Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

N2Futur

Aug 13, 2008, 11:12 AM

Post #1 of 9 (13255 views)

Shortcut

Palapa Infestation Problems

Can't Post | Private Reply
Arghhh - I have sparrows nesting in both palapas and now have bird mite infestation outside and some inside as well. I need to get rid of the sparrow nests, the mites and discourage the birds from nesting again. Anybody have any suggestions for me? I have thought about installing some bird netting. I have used foggers and boric acid inside and that controls them some, but this will be a continued problem if I don't get rid of the nests and birds.....

Thanks,

Elke

Rolly

Aug 13, 2008, 11:26 AM

Post #2 of 9 (13248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Palapa Infestation Problems

Get rid of the nests and hire a couple of cats.

Rolly Pirate

N2Futur

Aug 13, 2008, 11:48 AM

Post #3 of 9 (13242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Palapa Infestation Problems

Rolly, I have a cat and a couple more from the 'hood that visit, but that does not discourage the sparrows from nesting..... I had 3 batches of new birds in the lower palapa, I used our pressure washer to hose everything down and they are trying to build another nest again. The upper palapa is full of nests and birds, haven't started on that one yet.

I'm off to see Shoe and see if I can get his gardener to come over and remove the nests and spray for the mites. I'm generally a do-it-yourself person, but our ladders have not made the move down here yet, they are still in Colorado Springs.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and how they solved it...

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Aug 13, 2008, 11:49 AM)

DavidMcL

Aug 13, 2008, 5:27 PM

Post #4 of 9 (13217 views)

Shortcut

Can't help with the mites, but to discourage the birds have your gardener or whomever smear the equivalent of Vicks vapor rub on the wood where they are and are likely to nest. They hate the smell. It doesn't have to be thick - just enough to let'em know this isn't the place.

Suerte

David
David McL
WebJefe

N2Futur

Aug 13, 2008, 6:40 PM

Post #5 of 9 (13212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Palapa Infestation Problems

thanks, David!

I did a lot of research on line in the last couple of days (week). I got to all the NIGHTMARE bird mite sites. I tried the Vicks on my hair at night - no luck - they still got the rest of my body (freshly washed sheets). Maybe on the rafters - I'll try that. I am experimenting for comfort - inside - running the A/C 24/7 helps - mites like it humid - A/C is making the house comfy - less humidity - no mites crawling on legs or arms (this will probably put me into DAC rate really fast).

Shoe's gardener is coming over at 9 Am tomorrow - he says he knows the problem and the solution - I will report back - I am sure someone else in the future will have the same problem!

Palapa's are cool looking, but I think there will be a change to our house soon (did I mention - we also have some termite wood dust raining down from the palapa supports...?) I picked up some Antiparasito stuff from Home Depot in PV 3 weeks ago (in anticipatation of that) - and that will be applied tomorrow as well). I lived in Florida for 10 years - I never had any of these problems there , dangit...

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Aug 13, 2008, 6:44 PM)

DavidMcL

Aug 15, 2008, 11:30 AM

Post #6 of 9 (13161 views)

Shortcut

Ooops!
The Vicks isn't for the mites - it is to prevent the birds from building their nests!

D
David McL
WebJefe

N2Futur

Aug 18, 2008, 7:07 AM

Post #7 of 9 (13116 views)

Shortcut

I tried the Vicks this weekend - unfortunately it did not work. Have been playing around with Sparrowhawk sound files, that seems to disturb them a bit - they've been flying off into nearby trees. I talked to the owner of a restaurant that has a palapa like ours and he is sending a professional exterminator over this week to take a look. Now I am trying to find some bird netting...

Elke

N2Futur

Aug 19, 2008, 11:17 AM

Post #8 of 9 (13080 views)

Shortcut

David - I think the Vicks is working! Have not had birds in the lower palapa for 2 days. I applied more Vicks in the upper one yesterday evening and it seems this morning the birds are flying in and then right out, not hanging around. I sure hope this is the solution to the problem until I can get some netting up. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!!

Elke

DavidMcL

Aug 19, 2008, 4:55 PM

Post #9 of 9 (13062 views)

Shortcut

Glad it is working - so far.
It worked for us like a charm!
David
David McL
WebJefe