Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

grahams

Jul 28, 2008, 9:53 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2998 views)

Shortcut

the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?

Can't Post | Private Reply

I live in Canada and have recently associated with some Mexican workers up here on temporary permits. I was describing a luxurious train trip which a relative was about to undertake. There was something about the word "luxurious" or luxurioso which made this gentleman laugh. He told me not to use it again. Can someone guess as to the exact Spanish word? It refers to grabbing women or some vulgarity regarding them.

Thanks for your help.

Canuckgal

esperanza

Jul 29, 2008, 7:41 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [grahams] the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?

In Reply To
I live in Canada and have recently associated with some Mexican workers up here on temporary permits. I was describing a luxurious train trip which a relative was about to undertake. There was something about the word "luxurious" or luxurioso which made this gentleman laugh. He told me not to use it again. Can someone guess as to the exact Spanish word? It refers to grabbing women or some vulgarity regarding them.

Thanks for your help.

Canuckgal

Lujurioso translates to 'lustful'.

To say that something is luxurious, you use the phrase de lujo.

Pasaron sus vacaciones en un hotel muy de lujo.
They spent their vacation in a very luxurious hotel.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jerezano

Jul 29, 2008, 7:50 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] the English word luxurious is close to some vulgarity in Spanish?

Hello,

To add a bit to what esperanza says:

Lujurioso in Spanish means lustful, lecherous and lujuria is lust or lechery..

If you want to say that something is luxurious the proper manner is to say de lujo or lujos(a)(o). Example: Es una cosa de lujo. It's a luxury item. Another: Es una cosa de lujo (or lujosa) que no me puedo permitir. It's a luxury item that I can't buy. (I can't permit myself to buy.)

Hasta luego.
jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4