Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

purelivingsolutions

Jul 25, 2008, 4:48 AM

Post #1 of 10 (7492 views)

Shortcut

internet connection to laptop via cellphone

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all,
I'm fairly new to Mexico Connect and will be moving with my family down to Mexico at the end of September. I had previously asked if anyone was using their cellphone to connect to the internet on their laptop and no one responded. Well, I looked on the Telcel website and it appears that if you have a cellphone with BlueTooth technology and a laptop with the same (Dell has them), then you can indeed do this. This means (if I understand it correctly) that as long as you have cellphone reception, then you can access the internet on your laptop with your cellphone and that it's fast enough for VOIP as well. I don't know about anyone else, but this seems to me a great thing since there are no landlines and no cable access where we will be living, and the nearest wifi hotspot is 2 miles away. Does anyone know anything more about this or have any input?

Dominique Vazquez-Vanasse

johanson / Moderator

Jul 25, 2008, 6:07 AM

Post #2 of 10 (7488 views)

Shortcut

Re: [purelivingsolutions] internet connection to laptop via cellphone

I give tech support at a WiFi ISP and sadly I don't hear much about what you are talking about. What I do know is that the new 3G iPhone works great down here to include data transfer. I also know that a friend from Toronto who has a blackberry was able to connect in this part of the world. What I don't know is how expensive the connection is nor the speed or coverage areas. I did read that the rates for the 3G iPhone are some of the highest in the world here

Brian

Jul 25, 2008, 8:11 PM

Post #3 of 10 (7464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] internet connection to laptop via cellphone

At the present time, the Iphone cannot be teathered for use as a laptop modem.

Esteban

Aug 1, 2008, 9:29 PM

Post #4 of 10 (7427 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] internet connection to laptop via cellphone

[quote]At the present time, the Iphone cannot be teathered for use as a laptop modem. [/quote]

Not even with bluetooth?

Brian

Aug 2, 2008, 6:14 AM

Post #5 of 10 (7415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] internet connection to laptop via cellphone

In Reply To

Not even with bluetooth?

Nope :-(

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9963760-1.html

purelivingsolutions

Aug 6, 2008, 10:07 AM

Post #6 of 10 (7374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] internet connection to laptop via cellphone

What about a regular cellphone or blackberry (to tether to a laptop)?

purelivingsolutions

Aug 6, 2008, 10:44 AM

Post #7 of 10 (7369 views)

Shortcut

This was taken from the Telcel website and I included a google translation since my technical spanish is not great. I am also technologically challenged so maybe I'm not understanding it right?

BANDA ANCHA TELCEL

¿Qué es?
El servicio de Banda Ancha Telcel te permite conectarte a Internet con velocidades de hasta 1.5 Mbps a través de la red de Telcel, utilizando una laptop y una tarjeta de datos PCMCIA, Express Card o modem USB, lo que permite ahora contar con una conexión de banda ancha con total movilidad.
Ya no es necesario estar conectado a Internet a través de molestos cables o Hot Spots, lo que limita la movilidad del usuario. Ahora solo se requiere insertar la tarjeta de datos en la laptop y ejecutar la aplicación para gozar del acceso a Internet en cualquier lugar donde se tenga cobertura Telcel, lo que te permitirá consultar tu correo electrónico o tu página web favorita en todo momento y en cualquier lugar, inclusive mientras te desplazas de un lugar a otro.
Banda Ancha TELCEL

What is it?
The service of Banda Ancha Telcel lets you connect to the Internet with speeds up to 1.5 Mbps via the network of Telcel, using a laptop and a card data pcmcia, Express Card or USB modem, allowing now have a connection banda ancha with full mobility.

There is no need to be connected to the Internet via cable or annoying Hot Spots, which limits the mobility of the user. Now only requires inserting the card data in the laptop and run the application to enjoy Internet access anywhere you have coverage Telcel, which allows you to view your e-mail or your favorite web page at any time and in any instead, including the go from one place to another.

johanson / Moderator

Aug 6, 2008, 8:30 PM

Post #8 of 10 (7346 views)

Shortcut

That's great news. What I would love to know is what the cost is, what frequency we are talking about (my old PCMCIA cards were 2.4 Ghz), and what the upload spead is. While for example Prodigy's download is hasta one meg it's upload speed is up to (hasta) only 128 kbps

(This post was edited by johanson on Aug 6, 2008, 8:31 PM)

purelivingsolutions

Aug 7, 2008, 3:35 AM

Post #9 of 10 (7335 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] internet connection to laptop via cellphone

Here is another google translation from Telcel about speeds and plans. Since I am technologically challenged, maybe you could tell me if this is good or bad (speedwise, etc.) Also, what is this card they are talking about?
>This service provides Internet access speeds up to 384 Kbps in sending information and up to 1.5 Mbps on downloading information.
The service allows users to connect to the Internet with complete mobility so you can see the information you want at the time as necessary.
In places where the 3G network is not available, it is backed by the network GPRS / EDGE of Telcel to continue navigating the Internet.
Internet surfing can be done with a data card and a laptop with Windows operating system or MAC (1), however, the service is not limited to these terminals may also use your 3G mobile phone as a modem for navigation laptop connected via cable, infrared or Bluetooth. (2)
Due to the high consumption of data that can be generated in the Internet connection is recommended hiring an unlimited data plan with monthly cost of $ 649.00 (including VAT).
The service is backed by International Roaming in the 5 continents (3) (Subject to Roaming agreements with the operator of the country visits, for more information and consulting service fees here).
(1) Consultation versions of the operating system available for each card data.
(2) Check the capabilities of a mobile phone connection.
(3) The quality of service depends on the conditions of coverage and speed offered by the foreign operator.

Rates
Telcel has the best plans for you Puros Data:

Monthly Income Plan KB including price for Additional KB
2 MB $ 79.00 2.048 $ 0.04
10 MB $ 159.00 10.240 $ 0.04
20 MB $ 209.00 20.480 $ 0.04
50 MB $ 279.00 51.200 $ 0.03
150 MB $ 299.00 153.600 $ 0.03
500 MB $ 399.00 512.000 $ 0.02
1 GB $ 579.00 1,048,576 $ 0.01
Unlimited Unlimited $ 649.00 N / A

If you have a tariff plans and want to add a Packet Data, see preferential tariffs here.

Use Policy Data Unlimited.
Any package with unlimited data service for Internet surfing, will allow for each monthly billing period using the resources available network until 3GB consumption; if this limit is exceeded before the end of the period, navigating speed will be reduced to up to 128 Kbps for the remainder. As we enter the next billing period will be taken again access to the resources available network.<

raferguson

Aug 7, 2008, 11:24 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7313 views)

Shortcut

1.5M down is the standard DSL speed in the USA, some have faster DSL, some slower. Cable in the USA is generally faster, often 5 to 8 Meg. I believe that speeds in Mexico are somewhat less. 384K up should be more than adequate, unless you upload a lot of files to the internet.

They say "up to", which means that they don't guarantee that speed. It is likely that your speed will vary with time of day, which can occur with cable and DSL as well.

Ultimately, you are going to have to try it in your neighborhood and see how it works for you. If you are really lucky, you will be able to find somebody with that system and ask them how they like it.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4