Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

Wendy

Jul 15, 2002, 8:40 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2876 views)

Shortcut

Asking about the question¿Que te dedicas?

Can't Post |
Saludos a todos!<p>Hoy...tengo una preguntita de una pregunta:)<p>La pregunta español:
¿Que te dedicas?<p>¿Está una pregunta hoy día o está una pregunta pasada?<p>Now in English:)
I have read that this is a question that you might like to ask a Mexican person to find out what they really love doing...what gives them a kick out of life...in short...their passion. Someone might answer, playing the guitar or soccer, or growing orchards or singing old love ballads or playing with their kids etc.<p>But is it a common question to ask somebody nowadays?
And if so how well might you know somebody before asking them this question? Gracias en adelante Wendy

DavidMTY

Jul 15, 2002, 9:26 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2863 views)

Shortcut

Asking about the question¿Que te dedicas?

Can't Post |
Hola mi amiga canadiense!<p>You are missing the "A" in the question,
¿A qué te dedicas?
It is the most common way to ask someone their current job, not their hobbies or passions. You might say, ¿Qué te apasiona? under the right circumstances, though ¿Cuáles hobbies te apasionan? (or simply, ¿Tienes un hobby que te apasiona en la vida? ¿Tienes un amante? (Just kidding about the last one, though I got a real good email on the subject regarding your exact question a few months back).<p>Suddenly I have a mental block, I hope that's right. It wouldn't be any different, in English in Canada, I'd think,as to judging when it is appropriate to ask.
Happy passions...David(MTY)<p>
: Saludos a todos!<p>: Hoy...tengo una preguntita de una pregunta:)<p>: La pregunta español:
: ¿Que te dedicas?<p>: ¿Está una pregunta hoy día o está una pregunta pasada?<p>: Now in English:)
: I have read that this is a question that you might like to ask a Mexican person to find out what they really love doing...what gives them a kick out of life...in short...their passion. Someone might answer, playing the guitar or soccer, or growing orchards or singing old love ballads or playing with their kids etc.<p>: But is it a common question to ask somebody nowadays?
: And if so how well might you know somebody before asking them this question? Gracias en adelante Wendy<p>

DavidMTY

Jul 15, 2002, 9:28 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2874 views)

Shortcut

Correction: ¿Tienes un hobby que te apasione? (nmm)

Can't Post |
: Hola mi amiga canadiense!<p>: You are missing the "A" in the question,
: ¿A qué te dedicas?
: It is the most common way to ask someone their current job, not their hobbies or passions. You might say, ¿Qué te apasiona? under the right circumstances, though ¿Cuáles hobbies te apasionan? (or simply, ¿Tienes un hobby que te apasiona en la vida? ¿Tienes un amante? (Just kidding about the last one, though I got a real good email on the subject regarding your exact question a few months back).<p>: Suddenly I have a mental block, I hope that's right. It wouldn't be any different, in English in Canada, I'd think,as to judging when it is appropriate to ask.
: Happy passions...David(MTY)<p>:
: : Saludos a todos!<p>: : Hoy...tengo una preguntita de una pregunta:)<p>: : La pregunta español:
: : ¿Que te dedicas?<p>: : ¿Está una pregunta hoy día o está una pregunta pasada?<p>: : Now in English:)
: : I have read that this is a question that you might like to ask a Mexican person to find out what they really love doing...what gives them a kick out of life...in short...their passion. Someone might answer, playing the guitar or soccer, or growing orchards or singing old love ballads or playing with their kids etc.<p>: : But is it a common question to ask somebody nowadays?
: : And if so how well might you know somebody before asking them this question? Gracias en adelante Wendy<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4