Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

beckidid

Jul 10, 2008, 7:35 PM

Post #1 of 7 (8384 views)

Shortcut

cell phone coverage

Can't Post | Private Reply
I will be travelling to the state of Nayarit and had heard there was a way to use my U.S. cell phone without being charged huge fees for calling within MX. Is there a special card to purchase or someone to contact to find out this info? Any other way to use a cell phone in MX to call back to the states on a temporary basis?
thanks,
Becki

Camille

Jul 10, 2008, 9:52 PM

Post #2 of 7 (8365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beckidid] cell phone coverage

No worries. Almost all internet cafes have a Skype or other voip connection. Some have cameras too.

beckidid

Jul 11, 2008, 7:14 AM

Post #3 of 7 (8350 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] cell phone coverage

Thanks so much.
Becki

raferguson

Jul 15, 2008, 9:23 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beckidid] cell phone coverage

The suggestion to use Skype or another internet phone service is a good one.

The article below has info on short term Mexican cell phones.

http://www.mexconnected.com/...on/rfcellphones.html

On my last trip to Mexico I used both Skype and a Mexican cell phone. The cell phone was basically for local calls, mostly to my taxi driver. I used Skype to call the USA.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

johanson / Moderator

Jul 15, 2008, 10:14 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] cell phone coverage

JUST an UPDATE on your cell phone purchased in Mexico. Mine is working in the US.

Just an update on the Mexican Telcel phone. Before June, if you took your Telcel phone to the US, it would not work (I"m talking about those of us who have the Amigo Plan. We buy our time by paying 100, 200, 300 peso etc for a card) As of June 1st, Amigo plan Telcel phones becan to work in the US. I can phone any number in the US but can not phone Mexico using my Telcel phone. Apparently I pay a roaming charge of $2.30 US per minute when I both receive a call from Mexico or make a call to somewhere in the US or Canada.

Does anyone else know more about how this service works? I, of course, will post an update if I learn anything more.

It's time for me to walk three blocks to AT&T and learn more about the new 3G US iPhone. I think I will have to buy mine in Mexico, when I return at the end of the week.

raferguson

Jul 16, 2008, 6:46 AM

Post #6 of 7 (8274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] cell phone coverage

If you go to the Telcel site, and then to "Roaming International", you should find more information. I had trouble using the site with Firefox; the footnote says that it is designed to work with Internet Explorer.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

johanson / Moderator

Jul 16, 2008, 8:33 AM

Post #7 of 7 (8263 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] cell phone coverage

I'll look again Richard. The last time I did, it was only talking about other types of plans. Or maybe I missed it :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4