Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

culberto

Jul 9, 2008, 4:18 PM

Post #1 of 14 (13457 views)

Shortcut

ESL Teaching Job

Can't Post | Private Reply
I would like to find a job in Guadalajara teaching English. There are many schools that want about $2,000.00 to teach how to do this and promise a job but I don't want to spend that much to do something I am already qualified to do. As a retired person, I would need to supplement my retirement income in order to live in Mexico. I have spent years thinking and studying about this move and I think I am ready if I can just find a job. Any suggestions about where to begin this job search? Phyllis Culbert
Culberto

Rolly

Jul 9, 2008, 5:07 PM

Post #2 of 14 (13447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [culberto] ESL Teaching Job

In order to teach will need a working endorsement for your FM3. In oder to get that you will need to prove your qualifications to the immigration people.

The law says that you must provide proof of your ability to do the job for which you are requesting a work permit. The nature of this proof will vary depending on the job as well as local requirements by your INM office. In general, this includes college degrees (diplomas), professional certificates (TEFL for teachers), etc. These will need to be notarized and have an apostille attached. They may need to be translated into Spanish. The INM office will tell you where to take the documents if they want a translation.

You are going to need that TEFL certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) to get your working endorsement, and many schools will also require it.

You can learn a lot more about teaching English in Mexico here: http://rollybrook.com/teaching.htm

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jul 9, 2008, 5:10 PM)

culberto

Jul 9, 2008, 5:48 PM

Post #3 of 14 (13436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] ESL Teaching Job

Rolly,

Thank you for your information. The ignorance of the Mexican Government never ceases to amaze me. I am willing to travel to their improvished country to teach their citizens English and they want me to pay for this. Meanwhile, they refuse to stop the tide of illegal immigrants coming to the USA to steal our jobs! I am a graduate of the University of Texas, Austin and qualify to teach the English language with a great deal of ability in that language. Meanwhile other countries are willing to pay all costs of relocation and provide living arrangements for ESL teachers. This makes no sense but I know I will not change the law or the facts. I'll just have to continue my search in China, Korea, Tiwan, etc.
Culberto

bournemouth

Jul 9, 2008, 7:15 PM

Post #4 of 14 (13424 views)

Shortcut

Phyllis - I think you'll do better in a country other than Mexico - good luck with your search.

Rolly

Jul 9, 2008, 7:26 PM

Post #5 of 14 (13422 views)

Shortcut

I glad the information on my website helped you to understand that México is not for you.

We damn well don't need more people with attitudes coming down here and giving the rest of us a bad name.

Rolly Pirate

wilpharm

Jul 9, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #6 of 14 (13415 views)

Shortcut

dang,Culberto I would be happy to teach my Huichole friends for free if I had the chance...I think the rewards would be much more than monetary..those little indian kids are so neat,,Moms & pops too..I think it would be great for all parties

esperanza

Jul 10, 2008, 6:31 AM

Post #7 of 14 (13391 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Rolly,

Thank you for your information. The ignorance of the Mexican Government never ceases to amaze me. I am willing to travel to their improvished country to teach their citizens English and they want me to pay for this. Meanwhile, they refuse to stop the tide of illegal immigrants coming to the USA to steal our jobs! I am a graduate of the University of Texas, Austin and qualify to teach the English language with a great deal of ability in that language. Meanwhile other countries are willing to pay all costs of relocation and provide living arrangements for ESL teachers. This makes no sense but I know I will not change the law or the facts. I'll just have to continue my search in China, Korea, Tiwan, etc.

Please do not relocate to Mexico. You will be unhappy here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Linda in Morelia

Jul 10, 2008, 5:39 PM

Post #8 of 14 (13349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ESL Teaching Job

Amen.

bfwpdx

Jul 13, 2008, 12:03 PM

Post #9 of 14 (13292 views)

Shortcut

I am curious as to why you believe you have qualifications to teach ESL. I have a PhD with a Masters level in Linguistics and I am not qualified to teach ESL. Hmmm. Seems that someone has an entitlement issue here?

JeanMoc

Sep 21, 2008, 4:37 PM

Post #10 of 14 (13178 views)

Shortcut

I have recently completed requirements for my TEFL certificate and am working on the TESOL....will I need the apostille if I plan to volunteer rather than work? And can I get it in Mexico if I later need it? The link to the state department seems not to be working presently; I hope the consulate can help with that...

Rolly-thank you for your very informative post...it answers a lot of questions!

jerezano

Sep 23, 2008, 7:09 PM

Post #11 of 14 (13130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JeanMoc] ESL Teaching Job

Hello JeanMoc,

You asked:>>I have recently completed requirements for my TEFL certificate and am working on the TESOL....will I need the apostille if I plan to volunteer rather than work? And can I get it in Mexico if I later need it?

As I understand an apostile no, you cannot get it in Mexico. Somewhere here on the forum I have read that an apostile must be secured from the secretary of state (or whatever he is called) in the STATE IN WHICH you are resident.

Nor do I know if you will need an apostile either for your work or for your volunteer effort.

You have posted this question on an old dead thread. Perhaps it would be better to start a new post on the general forum and ask the same question.

jerezano

esperanza

Sep 23, 2008, 9:58 PM

Post #12 of 14 (13121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] ESL Teaching Job

Actually, I believe that the apostille must be granted by the Secretary of State in the state in which you earned your certificate.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Sep 24, 2008, 8:41 AM

Post #13 of 14 (13104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ESL Teaching Job

Esperanza is right. For more information about an apostille, read here: http://rollybrook.com/apostille.htm

Rolly Pirate

NEOhio1

Sep 24, 2008, 6:55 PM

Post #14 of 14 (13077 views)

Shortcut

It really is a good idea to get everything you possibly can apostilled before you come down. We did birth certificates, divorce decrees, marriage licenses, college degrees, Supreme Court and state bar certificates - you just never know what you might need, even years from now.

We left them up north with a daughter in safe keeping. Brought copies.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4